Thread: Help with understanding lipid profile page

Mission Possible is offline Junior Member

Help with understanding lipid profile

I believe these are results from an NMR test? My doctors nurse called me and said he is concerned and needed t come in but I had to beg to get the numbers first. I have been primal since November 2011 and have lost 72 pounds. I estimate my BF% at about 14% and I am fairly active.

Last October my regular test was this:
    Total cholesterol 235
    HDL 26
    LDL 131
    Tri 390

In February 2012 it was
    Total 186 (falling)
    HDL 39 (increasing)
    LDL 129

August 28th 2012 (NMR profile test?)
    not sure if NMR as doctor didn't say but the numbers look like what I am seeing from those?
    LDL particlle 1575 (he wants it under 1000)
    LDL calculated 155
    HDL-C 56
    Trig 83
    Total 228 (higher???)
    HDL-p 36.9
    Small LDL-p 500
    LDL particle size 21.4
    VLDL type 2 - large buoyant under 0.70
    Total HDL-c particle size 9.2
    VLDL particle size 33.6
    LP-IR score 13.00

So I am trying to interpret these numbers and tell if I have good or bad results. I have started researching but only find bits and pieces to go on....would like a standard list of acceptible results (like they give you for regular cholesterol tests).

Anyone have an opinion on my results???

Thanks
    Don't just survive....THRIVE!!!

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Plug 'em into this handy-dandy calculator: Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

This only uses the basic numbers though?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    The 9-part series written by Peter Attia on The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. will probably tell you more than you ever want to know about blood lipids. He did two guests posts here recently on MDA that summarized the 9-part series:

The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 1 | Mark's Daily Apple
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-s...o-know-part-2/

Last part of the series
    The straight dope on cholesterol

It's really cool that you have a doc that recognizes that LDL-P is the true driver of cardiac risk. My doc was smart enough to order the test when my LDL showed as being very high. When my LDL-P came back over 2000, she prescribed a statin. I haven't been back since and have not taken the statin due to fear of side effects. I've tried making some dietary changes to see if I can bring it down that way. Please keep us informed as to how you plan to lower LDL-P and the results.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    The 9-part series written by Peter Attia on The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. will probably tell you more than you ever want to know about blood lipids. He did two guests posts here recently on MDA that summarized the 9-part series:

The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 1 | Mark's Daily Apple
    The Straight Dope on Cholesterol: 10 Things You Need to Know – Part 2 | Mark's Daily Apple

Last part of the series
    The straight dope on cholesterol

It's really cool that you have a doc that recognizes that LDL-P is the true driver of cardiac risk. My doc was smart enough to order the test when my LDL showed as being very high. When my LDL-P came back over 2000, she prescribed a statin. I haven't been back since and have not taken the statin due to fear of side effects. I've tried making some dietary changes to see if I can bring it down that way. Please keep us informed as to how you plan to lower LDL-P and the results.

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    I just posted my husbands numbers--check a page over. I got a lot of info as well. But this NMR profile is fairly new so I can't find a lot on it here but there are opinion's out there on the number. His LDL-p was 1720 but his TRI are 35!!! LDL is 192 HDL is 76. The nurse acted like my husband was going to have a heart attack at any minute.

Did you get your TSH number? On Paul Jaminet's site there is a good article on hypothyroidism bringing that LDL-p number very high. Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet chances are if you had a heart scan you would have 0 plaque but the thyroid is controlling whether those LDL's get cleared out--and they may not be. I think this is the case with my husband.

Either way, with the high LDL-p number, Dr. Davis from Track Your Plaque said to take iodine right away. I got Iodine and Niacin today at whole foods for my husband.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you

I too felt like the response from the nurse was that I may die anytime. After a little more digging it looks like my LDL-p is in the moderate range and it also appears to depend on what risk you are classified. I am in the best shape of my life and wonder what the number would have been a year ago....I am certain it has improved, right?

Anyway I am not going to jump on a statin or anything just yet. I will look into the iodine and niacin as well. Thanks