Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making the move from gym to home workouts page

mdlaw is offline Senior Member

Making the move from gym to home workouts

Primal Fuel
    I am looking for a bit of advice on how to make the most out of home workouts. The past year I had a fair amount of success using a body by science/ slow burn type workout at a gym nearby. However, I switched jobs a few weeks ago and the change in hours has meant that I basically haven't had a convenient time to go there in the last month and a half. Additionally, my membership is up for a year's renewal and I am worried it may not be worthwhile.

So, I am hoping to replace the gym with a full home workout. As background, I am a 28 guy who I would say is in average shape (probably getting above that during the past year, but I was never an athletic person and as I said, I've slacked off this summer due to new job, vacation etc).

My routine before was a twice weekly workout, slow burn style, using machines like leg press, overhead press, bench press, pulldown, ab machine, back extension. Each was repeated once a week, for an "A" workout and a "B" workout.

As far as home goes, I am thinking a kettlebell or two, a pullup bar, and some bodyweight exercises. If anyone has advice or resources for a good routine or good equipment for an effective full body workout for a guy my age trying to put on some muscle, it would be deeply appreciated. I expect that with the convenience of a home workout, I will have greater success sticking with it and pushing my limits.

Thanks in advance.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Without sounding too biased, you could try some sandbag lifting:

Sandbag Fitness

That, coupled with some bodyweight work, would make a great combo.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Check out my [somewhat dead] thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64968.html

I've been an on-again off-again fan of BodyRock for quick home workouts. They provide links for the equipment they use, but they also have a lot of body-weight exercises as well.
    Last edited by MissJecka; 09-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I second Palfrey's suggestion - I recommend his training guide as well. My sandbag is back at my parents house and the gf doesn't want it in the apartment so I haven't used it in a while, but it was a ton of fun when I did.

Door frame pull-up bar, weight vest, maybe a yoga mat and you're all set. Most of the door-frame bars double as push-up stands (if you feel you need them) so no need to buy a set of those.

You can do very similar workouts as BBS (time under tension is time under tension, right?) but you should also throw in some reps in there, not just always do BBS style workouts - if only for variety's sake. I'm certainly not interested in starting a discussion over what is better.

This video contains a fuck-load of ideas on what to do with a home gym, Ross is THE man when it comes to minimalist, do-it-yourself workouts and equipment and as you'll see in this video, he's an absolute beast.

Words of Wisdom - Training Compilation (HD) - YouTube

Lastly, if I were you I'd buy a set of gymnastic rings as well, and maybe start exploring the vast world of gymnastic strength building. Also, they're just insanely fun and an easy tool to carry around when travelling and what not. You could take your rings to work and maybe do a workout anywhere there's a tree branch that can sustain your weight. Pull ups and dips are obvious options, but you can also practice isometric holds, start working on straight-arm strength, etc. I wouldn't suggest building your own set honestly, I got a set for $70 from Rogue Fitness (wooden rings, better for grip) and I'm positive they will last me a very, very long time. I feel it's a very worthy investment, but if money is really short then tehre's plenty of suspension trainers that are relatively easy and cheap to build.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    My sandbag is back at my parents house and the gf doesn't want it in the apartment so I haven't used it in a while
    Sorry, what?!?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Sorry, what?!?
    What's the confusion? Sandbags have a potential to leak/burst and create a mess nobody wants to really deal with. My parents house (about 30 mins away) has a roofed backyard so that's where I keep my bag, rather than my smaller apartment.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Wait, does she pay all your bills? Otherwise, why does she get to say what fitness equipment you can have? I wouldn't abide that nonsense for a moment. She ultimately benefits from your fitness anyway, right?

And it's just sand, bro. If it spills, you sweep it with a broom. Really not a big deal to clean up. Just don't get it down your bathing suit.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    ditto on the sandbag.

also, check out programs like primal blueprint fitness and simplefit, which are super easy to at home (all you need is a pull up bar).
    convict conditioning also seems to be popular here. i haven't checked it out yet, but i'm looking for a change and i think i might buy it

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Wait, does she pay all your bills? Otherwise, why does she get to say what fitness equipment you can have? I wouldn't abide that nonsense for a moment. She ultimately benefits from your fitness anyway, right?

And it's just sand, bro. If it spills, you sweep it with a broom. Really not a big deal to clean up. Just don't get it down your bathing suit.
    I like being considerate, which I find to be very different from asking permission to do something. If the sandbag was my #1 training tool, it'd definitely be here. It's not though, so I see no need to fuss over it. My gf is actually pretty easy going, my door-frame pull-up bar is almost always up on our bedroom door where rings AND a rope are also dangling (the rope is right down the middle) so she has to navigate through them quite often and doesn't mind - it's definitely not a nonsensical female power trip thing, at all.

mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for all the advice so far. I appreciate it and will investigate further. Please don't hijack the thread for the purpose of talking about living with one's significant other though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast