Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Making the move from gym to home workouts page 2

  1. #11
    a-ray's Avatar
    a-ray is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gallatin, TN
    Posts
    40
    Primal Fuel
    I can't believe no one has mentioned SimpleFit yet. Its a great and very simple bodyweight workout regime. I highly recommend looking into it. You can also check out Al Kavadlo's stuff too, lots of good information coming from him.

  2. #12
    mdlaw's Avatar
    mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by a-ray View Post
    I can't believe no one has mentioned SimpleFit yet. Its a great and very simple bodyweight workout regime. I highly recommend looking into it. You can also check out Al Kavadlo's stuff too, lots of good information coming from him.
    Thanks! I'd be particularly interested in any threads or blogs with results or experiences with simplefit or other bodyweight plans. I have to admit that I have a (possibly irrational) skeptical thought or two about the relative efficacy of something like this, but I hope not to let it stand in the way of an open mind.

  3. #13
    primalrob's Avatar
    primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,142
    you can search and find the whole thread devoted to simplefit, including cheapo's amazing success.

  4. #14
    mdlaw's Avatar
    mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    Thanks! I'd be particularly interested in any threads or blogs with results or experiences with simplefit or other bodyweight plans. I have to admit that I have a (possibly irrational) skeptical thought or two about the relative efficacy of something like this, but I hope not to let it stand in the way of an open mind.
    Ditto for Primal Blueprint Fitness, btw. My goal is to make an informed choice about what plan to follow and give it a full effort fair shake.

  5. #15
    a-ray's Avatar
    a-ray is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gallatin, TN
    Posts
    40
    While I don't have any blogs or other posts about my experience, I'll give you my thoughts on it right now.

    I've been doing SimpleFit for what this week, marks 8 weeks. Since I began 8 weeks ago, I myself can clearly see results, both in the way I look (others have also mentioned a noticeable difference) and in my ability to complete the workouts as well as just more strength in general. The simplicity along with the "shortness" of the workouts fits very nicely into my work and school schedule as well.

    If you have any other questions, just ask, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I agree that you can find many threads about results, etc, but this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7663.html is the one that sold me on the whole thing.

  6. #16
    mdlaw's Avatar
    mdlaw is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by a-ray View Post
    While I don't have any blogs or other posts about my experience, I'll give you my thoughts on it right now.

    I've been doing SimpleFit for what this week, marks 8 weeks. Since I began 8 weeks ago, I myself can clearly see results, both in the way I look (others have also mentioned a noticeable difference) and in my ability to complete the workouts as well as just more strength in general. The simplicity along with the "shortness" of the workouts fits very nicely into my work and school schedule as well.

    If you have any other questions, just ask, I'll answer to the best of my knowledge. I agree that you can find many threads about results, etc, but this thread: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7663.html is the one that sold me on the whole thing.
    Impressive. That first post on the thread has me a believer! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

  7. #17
    jfreaksho's Avatar
    jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,961
    My favorites:
    Convict Conditioning- I've made a lot of progress with this in the past 18 or so months.
    Anything from Al Kavadlo- combines well with CC, adds info to get past sticking points, or build additional skills
    SimpleFit- It's simple, and it works.
    PBF- I use this as more of an overview on how to integrate Lifting Heavy Things, Moving Slowly, and Sprinting into a cohesive program.

  8. #18
    adamm's Avatar
    adamm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    302
    I turned a room in my house (in the basement, naturally) into a home gym. Squat rack, barbell, dumbbells and adjustable bench. If you buy off craigslist/ebay/whatever you can probably get started at the same cost (more or less) as a year's worth of gym membership.

    --Me

  9. #19
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,678
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlaw View Post
    Ditto for Primal Blueprint Fitness, btw. My goal is to make an informed choice about what plan to follow and give it a full effort fair shake.
    Don't over complicate the issue, there are a million paths to get strong, conditioned, fit, etc. No one path is better than the next, it ultimately has to come down to what you find enjoyable and sustainable (same as with diet)... for instance, barbell programs are brilliant for building strength, but I don't personally enjoy them. I have chosen instead to focus my efforts on bodyweight/gymnastics-ish training with a side focus on "mastering" my bodyweight (learning about balancing, body levers, increasing my mobility, etc) because it's not only fun and mentally engaging, it also does build strength. Note that you can use outside resistance, such as a weight vest, to make "bodyweight" exercises harder to perform. The cool thing about bodyweight is that even using no added resistance you can make exercises damn near impossible by playing with the leverage (read, T NATION | All Muscle, No Iron)

    So just start something, do it for a while and assess your progress. I don't think you need be afraid to change gears either and try something new. I'm going to make it a point to re-introduce some barbell movements like the squat and deadlift because I feel my lower body training is lacking from bodyweight alone (and the progressions aren't as "cool" feeling as those for upper body) so there's no need to be a purist one way or another - don't limit yourself. (I know your situation is such that you can't access a gym, I'm talking in a general sense).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •