Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiber Question page

bunnyjones is offline Junior Member

Fiber Question

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I'm new to this in any official way but have noticed in the past that eating in this way is the only way I can drop some weight and feel my best so I'm going to give it a go "officially" and I'm going to commit to six solid weeks just as a way to gauge a difference in my body and feelings, though I am pretty sure that I know I'm going to feel a million times better.

Anyway, my question is related to fiber. I often get somewhat constipated and I'm worried that with less fruit and more protein I'm going to get a little irregular. Any advice on the veggies I should focus on incorporating or any advice on times to eat certain things or combinations of foods or anything that could help me out?

Finally, I know soy is considered forbidden but I was wondering if anyone knew about Galeo's Miso Wasabi salad dressing and whether eating some of that would really set me back. It seem so healthy and I love it but I don't want to "ruin" anything.

THANK YOU in advance for any advice you can give. I'm looking forward to reporting back on May 16th and hopefully committing to this long term after seeing (and more importantly, feeling) noticeable results.

Thanks!!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    More fat. It will help keep everything flowing smoothly.

Miso (if it's genuine fermented miso) isn't too bad at all. It has helpful little beasties in it and it has had much (not all) of the bad stuff in soy fermented out. A quick check of the dressing ingredients looks like its all good stuff. My only real criticism of it is that it is unnecessarily low fat and if you don't add fat you're going to miss out on some of the fat soluble goodness in your salad.

Welcome to the forum.

bunnyjones is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much!! I'm definitely working on my fat phobia, which shouldn't be too hard since my low fat diet allowed me to put on 20 lbs over the last few years. I actually hadn't put two and two together with respect to fat and the constipation issue so I'll try to keep that in mind and add more to my diet.

Thank you for looking at the dressing and for your input about that, as well. I really appreciate it! It is low fat but it is so delicious and I love it on everything. I'll try to substitute oil and vinegar for some dressings but as long as it doesn't seem too bad, I'm happy to hear it is somewhat reasonable.

Thanks so much!!!

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    You're absolutely welcome. There's no need to completely sub oil and vinegar, though. Try just adding some extra olive oil to the dressing that you like. Another addition you might consider if your n-6 fats are otherwise in order is almond or cashew butter. I make my own olive oil, cider vinegar, miso, almond butter, sambal salad dressing and it's a mighty good combination.

Nikau68 is offline Junior Member
    I take 6 teaspoons LSA everyday and I find that keeps things regular.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I had issues with constipation for years and when I started low carb I took some psyllium husk because I was worried about it (drank lots of water as directed). It just clogged me up more and made the problem worse. I stopped taking it and with the extra fat in my diet everything suddenly improved. I am better now than I have been for decades. I think taking some coconut oil helps. This is probably just down to the fat content.

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    Yeah, I regularly eat about 10 g. of fiber/day (and yesterday I had 5) and never have problems. I don't go as frequently, but this is not in a bad/uncomfortable way. I'm also 34 weeks pregnant, and apparently constipation is typically a problem for pregnant women. I credit the bacon. The only time I notice any issue is when I simply don't eat enough fat.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    When I first switched to PB, I had a little trouble. It was mainly due to the change in eating habits and not fiber. I eat vegetables with almost every meal, plus a lot of fat, and I have no issues at all. My veggies are normally a variety of broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans and some squash.

schadowrider is offline Senior Member
    I'm a little over 2 months into PB and so far this has been the only negative side effect of the diet change for me: this is the first time I can remember where this has been a problem (and in an uncomfortable way unfortunately -- not just a matter of going less...).

As other have said, fat seems to be the key: I started upping my fat even more over the past couple of weeks and things are slowly getting back to regular (and feeling more comfortable! ). Bought an extra jar of coconut oil to keep at work -- I take little spoonfuls throughout the day (even put some on a hard boiled egg yesterday -- couldn't believe how great they wen together!).

cookie is offline Senior Member
    for me, broccoli works really well!
    i think the staying with watery veggies (leafy greens, peppers, etc) are what will help ease your transition in the beginning. you'll want to take it slowly. try eating a lot of big ass salads for one of your meals per day, and slowly increase the protein and fat (try a little extra oil in your dressing, add an avocado) while decreasing the fruit and veg in them slowly. if you think you are a little constipated, you could try half an apple to get things moving along as needed.
    your body will adjust before you know it. just think of the relatively vegetable-free diet that the standard american "lives" off of! ha!
    good luck! welcome to the forum!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast