Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maffetone heart-rate exercise - best way to improve? page 3

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    SB, this is really interesting. Would you recommend The Big Book of Health and Fitness (seems to be Maffetone's latest release) as a comprehensive-enough reference for anyone considering this protocol? (My God, that man has written so many books!)
    I thought The Big Book Of Endurance was the latest??? Whichever you get it is pretty simple stuff, just you, a HR monitor, and lots of patience.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigi View Post
    SB, this is really interesting. Would you recommend The Big Book of Health and Fitness (seems to be Maffetone's latest release) as a comprehensive-enough reference for anyone considering this protocol? (My God, that man has written so many books!)
    I think the Big Book of Health and Fitness has everything you would ever need to know to be your own doctor for the rest of your life. Well, to take control over your health anyway, and see a doctor only rarely. It's very general. It's kind of a compendium of all his writings. There are a couple of confusing parts in it and you can kind of see a trend if you look closely, a change in his thinking over time, mostly around fats. Where he starts out discussing fats he makes it seem like half your fats need to be stuff like soybean and corn oil. But then practically on the next page he's sharing anecdotes about making his patients remove those things from the diet and how they improved. I found that confusing and actually emailed him and he explained you should never eat soy and corn oil so I am going to print his email and store it in the book in case my boyfriend ever thumbs through it. Way in the back of the book, under brain health, he says to never eat corn and soy oil and eat lard and butter and olive oil and avocados instead.

He's not low carb and he does recommend eating lots of small meals through the day. But he also recommends doing a carb intolerance test on yourself and if you can't tolerate them, to not eat them. He also doesn't tell you not to eat grains, but says not to eat refined grains, which most are. He favors brown over white rice. Oat groats yes, oatmeal never. He also never explains why the fat in dairy is particularly bad although he says so frequently. So basically it's not the Primal Blueprint or Paleo diet but it hardly matters because if any general person ate that way, they'd improve their health just as well as the paleo diet.

The part about the heart rate exercise is just a chapter or so and he says if all you ever did was walk that would put you ahead of the game. He does explain the whole MAF thing and how to do it. He also says that the low heartrate stuff helps convert the body to fat-burning mode, and he talks about the benefits of that for endurance athletics. So there is cross-over for sure, but the audience is probably different from the one targeted by the endurance running book.

Quote Originally Posted by PureFunctionalFitness View Post
    I thought The Big Book Of Endurance was the latest??? Whichever you get it is pretty simple stuff, just you, a HR monitor, and lots of patience.
    I think he says on his website somewhere that both Big Books are the latest. I think the H & F one is targeted to general health throughout your life with a little more variety of topics, including a few that are a little hippie-dippie, which is fine with me. He does live in the desert after all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    The Endurance one has a chapter on carb intolerance and a two week test. There is a fair bit of health stuff, but it is really targeted at the use of low HR training for endurance 'athletes', for anyone who wants to work at the right intensity for health and vitality really. If you are just interested in the HR stuff, Maffetone's site, or G search for an article by Mark Allen, who used a lot of this stuff for much of his Ironman success

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I suspect you don't really have to buy either book. You could google search for it all. Much of the book I have is on his website. I bought the book to have lying around in hopes my boyfriend might pick it up someday. He is against eating real food (all that fat, nooo! pasta and oatmeal are hearthealthy!) and would find the whole diet book tone of the PB off-putting, as I do, too. But Maffetone's book is more matter-of-fact.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the feedback, peeps!
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

springnr is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    sbhikes, thanks for starting this thread. Exercise is an area of primal which has eluded me...
    The Maffetone method of building your aerobic base, resonated for me.
    This foundation should click in the exercise/strength aspect of primal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123