Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm essentially "pre-diabetic"??? please help... page

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member

I'm essentially "pre-diabetic"??? please help...

I got some blood work done yesterday. The nurse called me this morning and told me that my cholesterol is 296(LDL=191 and HDL=89). He also said that my blood sugar is 101 and that since I am over the limit of 99, I am essentially pre-diabetic. He said that I need to make an appointment with the doctor to talk about weight reduction and possibly medication to help with the blood sugar. He said the blood sugar might be a cause of diet, but it could also be a malfunction in the way my blood sugar works. He didn't say anything about cholesterol medication. Just blood sugar medication.

I'll admit, I know NOTHING when it comes to medical terminology. Is my cholesterol something to worry about? But more importantly.... what's up with my blood sugar?? I have been Primal since the Spring of this year. And I will be honest.... I haven't done so well on it. I eat pretty well for about a week or two(lots of fatty meat, eggs, some veggies and fruits). Then I will binge on every sugary thing in sight for about a week. So in reality, I have been on and off Primal since Spring of this year. NOWHERE near fully Primal.

Are these "cheat days" where I completely fall of the wagon the reason why I've turned pre-diabetic? What about my cholesterol? I'm a 19 year old female, 140 lbs and 5'1. I agree with the nurse that weight reduction is necessary. But what's up with the blood sugar thing?? Please help...

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    What are your triglicerides?
    I am not a doctor so I can't comment on pre-diabetic but I think it is certainly a wake up call to stop those binges.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

What are your triglicerides?
    I am not a doctor so I can't comment on pre-diabetic but I think it is certainly a wake up call to stop those binges.
    Thanks for the response. He did not tell me the full results over the phone... but I will definitely go back to the doctor and see if I can pick up the results myself.

Thanks again for the response.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Buy the book "Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Hyman. I am currently in the middle of his 6 week plan and in 16 days my sugars went from 260's to the 130's. It is very close to Paleo and can be modified to be Primal. I am posting my 6 week journey in my journal. Following the link in my signature if you are interested....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Buy the book "Blood Sugar Solution" by Dr. Hyman. I am currently in the middle of his 6 week plan and in 16 days my sugars went from 260's to the 130's. It is very close to Paleo and can be modified to be Primal. I am posting my 6 week journey in my journal. Following the link in my signature if you are interested....
    TorMag, thank you for the recommendation. That is amazing that you have lowered your blood sugar that much. I'll be following your journal.

Thank you so much for the help.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    I would say you need to do a whole 30/go strictly primal (trying to achieve 100% compliance/no cheat days) for a while. A couple weeks of eating/cheating probably isn't going to make any measurable progress. If you were to eat like this for say 30-60 days, I can almost guarantee that your triglycerides will come down. You need to find out what is causing you to binge and try to correct it or possibly substitute in some lower sugar foods. I know some people have issues with fruit as it triggers cravings for more sweets. Maybe ditching fruit and adding in some potato with a meal will help.. not sure.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    I would say you need to do a whole 30/go strictly primal (trying to achieve 100% compliance/no cheat days) for a while. A couple weeks of eating/cheating probably isn't going to make any measurable progress. If you were to eat like this for say 30-60 days, I can almost guarantee that your triglycerides will come down. You need to find out what is causing you to binge and try to correct it or possibly substitute in some lower sugar foods. I know some people have issues with fruit as it triggers cravings for more sweets. Maybe ditching fruit and adding in some potato with a meal will help.. not sure.

Dr. Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution is essential a Whole-42. You just have to make a couple of changes to make it so....
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

A couple weeks of eating/cheating probably isn't going to make any measurable progress.
    Do you mean that a couple weeks of eating sugary foods won't make my blood sugars rise? If that is what you mean, then what has caused my blood sugar to go from normal to pre-diabetic? Thank you for your advice. I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to this...

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    No, he means a couple of weeks of cheating isn't going to help you make progress toward the health you desire.

Your doctor is going to tell you to eat a diet low in fat and high in complex carbohydrates. You can listen to him politely, then go home and do what TorMag suggests. When you get those great results, go back to your doctor and tell him what you really did.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No, he means a couple of weeks of cheating isn't going to help you make progress toward the health you desire.

Your doctor is going to tell you to eat a diet low in fat and high in complex carbohydrates. You can listen to him politely, then go home and do what TorMag suggests. When you get those great results, go back to your doctor and tell him what you really did.
    Yea that's what I thought he meant... or else I'd be wondering what caused the high blood sugar.

In regards to the cholesterol, is the LDL high? I need to go back and more carefully read the articles on MDA about cholesterol... Right now all the info I have is what the nurse told me, and that info scared me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast