Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm essentially "pre-diabetic"??? please help... page 3

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Theresa92 View Post
    In regards to the cholesterol, is the LDL high? I need to go back and more carefully read the articles on MDA about cholesterol... Right now all the info I have is what the nurse told me, and that info scared me.
    No. What matters is the ratio between your LDL and HDL. Your ratio is 191/89 = 2.15.

Here's your cholesterol ratios:
    Chol/HDL ratio (Target <5) = 3.33
    Trig/HDL ratio (Target < 4.6) = 0.90
    LDL/HDL ratio (Target < 4.3) = 2.15

You have nothing to worry about on that front.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-11-2012 at 03:18 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Once you are at or pretty close to goal weight, then you can relax and get on the 80/20 deal, but at first, with numbers like yours, I'd get it under control first and play with it second.
    I should of realized this before I started justifying my "cheats" as 20%(which really turned into more like 40-50%). I've got about 10-15 pounds to lose. Once I lose them, then I'll start thinking about 20%. But that makes complete sense that my body can't handle any 20% until I am fully healthy again.

No. What matters is the ratio between your LDL and HDL. Your ratio is 191/89 = 2.15.

Here's your cholesterol ratios:
    Chol/HDL ratio (Target <5) = 3.33
    Trig/HDL ratio (Target < 4.6) = 0.90
    LDL/HDL ratio (Target < 4.3) = 2.15

You have nothing to worry about on that front.
    So my cholesterol isn't high? As in, nothing is wrong with it?

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    I got some blood work done yesterday. The nurse called me this morning and told me that my cholesterol is 296(LDL=191 and HDL=89). He also said that my blood sugar is 101 and that since I am over the limit of 99, I am essentially pre-diabetic. He said that I need to make an appointment with the doctor to talk about weight reduction and possibly medication to help with the blood sugar. He said the blood sugar might be a cause of diet, but it could also be a malfunction in the way my blood sugar works. He didn't say anything about cholesterol medication. Just blood sugar medication.

I'll admit, I know NOTHING when it comes to medical terminology. Is my cholesterol something to worry about? But more importantly.... what's up with my blood sugar?? I have been Primal since the Spring of this year. And I will be honest.... I haven't done so well on it. I eat pretty well for about a week or two(lots of fatty meat, eggs, some veggies and fruits). Then I will binge on every sugary thing in sight for about a week. So in reality, I have been on and off Primal since Spring of this year. NOWHERE near fully Primal.

Are these "cheat days" where I completely fall of the wagon the reason why I've turned pre-diabetic? What about my cholesterol? I'm a 19 year old female, 140 lbs and 5'1. I agree with the nurse that weight reduction is necessary. But what's up with the blood sugar thing?? Please help...

Yes!!! NO more cheat days!!! Up your fat, decrease carbs. Maybe eliminate fruit for a while. YOu can make anything paleo/primal. I have made the most amazing paleo chocolate chip cookies!!!!
    Stick to the plan. My fasting blood sugars went from 100 to 88 on this plan. You can do this!!!

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, it was a fasting blood glucose. It's interesting that you bring it up. For everyone else that suggested getting an A1C test done, do I just go in and say I'd like to have an A1C test done or is it something that the doctor has to request?

Was he able to reverse his diagnosis? How long did it take for him if so?
    An A1C is generally ordered by a doctor but ask your doctor to do one before even thinking about meds.

Yes, Dad's blood sugar is totally normal again. It took a couple of months of strict Primal but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    Yes!!! NO more cheat days!!! Up your fat, decrease carbs. Maybe eliminate fruit for a while.
    Stick to the plan. My fasting blood sugars went from 100 to 88 on this plan. You can do this!!!
    This. Fruit is seen as a "health food" by many people but, when your system is diabetic, it can't handle the fructose like a normal person's would. Example Dad doing really well, no swelling in his legs, everything on track and then he had a major binge out on fruit for a few days running and his ankles puffed up like sausages, the skin so tight is started breaking open and oozing lymphatic fluid. Nice, right? You don't want to go there when you're older. Get this under control now.

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    The test for diabetes, or pre-diabetes is usually the HbA1c which is a measure of, effectively, your blood sugar over the past 3 months. So even though you have had periods of primal eating, it is highly likely your binges are spiking your blood sugar hugely when you have them which, if done every 2 weeks as you say, would be enough I imagine, to make your overall HbA1c higher than it should be. **Edit: now I see you say it wasn't an HbA1c so this part is kind of irrelevant**

I was also prediabetic before going primal but I am now happily in the clear.

I use to binge like nobodies business, and now I occasionally still eat more than I should or non-primal foods in one big go but it no where near the sugar filled feasts I use to have.

I think the biggest difference for me in stopping bingeing, if you want some n=1 stories, is that I finally forgave myself for eating occasional "bad" foods and realised that all I was doing by being upset about it was creating a failure cycle. Also trying to be too restrictive in my normal day to day eating is sometimes a trigger for me to binge because I get hungry but I turn my attention on sweet foods instead of normal, healthy foods like I would if I wasn't overly hungry.

Good luck with the bingeing! You can get past it
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    So my cholesterol isn't high? As in, nothing is wrong with it?
    It is high, but there's nothing wrong with that. High total cholesterol actually correlates with decreased cardiac events in women. Do not worry about your cholesterol.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Like said I wouldn't worry too much about the cholesterol, even ignoring whether the ranges are right or not cholesterol is nothing more than a potential marker of a health issue. It is very likely if you can correct the blood glucose issue, which is inflammatory then the cholesterol will improve as well.
    My partner also has a similar situation to yours and we are working towards improving her blood glucose levels, we recently did a Glucose Tolerance/Insulin resistance test, this is where you do a fasting test then drink a glucose solution then draw blood again at 1hr and 2 hr's, this will show how well your body is responding to Insulin, her test was good, so this means that she is probably in the pre-prediabetic category, so 2 steps back from T2 diabetic.
    I would suggest you do this test as well as testing for Vitamin D levels and looking at any other factors that can be corrected.
    You do have some imbalance in there, the question is is it just your sweet tooth working against you or is their something else contributing to your high blood sugar.
    First step is, as said healthy diet, go full Paleo, cut back on starches and try to limit the fruit intake a bit, I would not stress too much about the weight loss for the first couple of months, just keep an eye on it occasionally to make sure you aren't going up too much.
    Plenty of varied exercise, walking, some cardio and resistance training.
    How is your stress levels, start looking at this aspect, often we have behavioural patterns that create low level chronic stress in our lives, we have been doing it for such a long time that we think it is completely normal, the key is to recognise stress is not the external actions from the world, but more so how we respond to these actions, so there is a degree of neural reprogramming required so that we build and reinforce positive patterns of response rather than negative.
    The other factors may be sleep patterns and disturbances in circadian rhythms, as much as possible we need to try to mirror our natural patterns, so get up with the sunrise and slow down with the sunset.
    I think health is a multi-pronged approach if you can make some improvements in all these areas they will support each other,
    ie "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts."
    Last edited by Omni; 09-11-2012 at 05:40 PM.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    It suggests your diagnosis right at the bottom of the tests - familial hypercholesteremia aka basically you have high cholesterol thanks to genetics. It's not likely to be your regular "old person" (for lack of a better description) high cholesterol because you have normal triglycerides. It's not terribly uncommon, I meet someone like that in the clinic or hospital at least monthly. You can ask to be tested for the mutations that can cause it (e.g. Apo-B lipoprotein deficiency).

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    It suggests your diagnosis right at the bottom of the tests - familial hypercholesteremia aka basically you have high cholesterol thanks to genetics. It's not likely to be your regular "old person" (for lack of a better description) high cholesterol because you have normal triglycerides. It's not terribly uncommon, I meet someone like that in the clinic or hospital at least monthly. You can ask to be tested for the mutations that can cause it (e.g. Apo-B lipoprotein deficiency).
    This is the part that I don't understand. If I'm thinking correctly, familial hypercholesteremia would be present in relatives as well correct? Nobody in my family has it. In fact, my 60 year old dad(despite the fact that he eats crap) has extremely low cholesterol.

If I do have familial hypercholesteremia, do I NEED to take statins?? I hope not...

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If I do have familial hypercholesteremia, do I NEED to take statins?? I hope not...
    The docs will say YES, but you should say NO. If they insist, get the meds, say thanks, and flush them at home.

Most people would kill for HDL of 89. Anytime docs say 'high cholesterol' ask about your ratios. If you slide on diet and health and your ratios get out of balance, you may need pharmaceutical intervention...so don't go there!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast