Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bacon = clear complexion page 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I might be fooled, but I don't think my bacon has sulphites.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tests is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Bacon is very rich in omega 6 PUFA's. They're animal-based PUFAS - arachidonic acid - not the linoleic acid found in vegetable oils. Increasing animal-based PUFA intake at the expense of saturated fat makes your cells "stretchier," which is why cold-water fish contain high levels of PUFA. If their lipid profiles were highly saturated like beef or lamb, fish like salmon would literally freeze and be unable to be flexible in cold environments. Perhaps the increased animal-based PUFA is making your cells "slipperier" and increasing skin elasticity. It's possible. Salmon or fatty poultry could have an even greater effect. I've heard of people improving skin with high intakes of fatty fish and nuts at the expense of other forms of fats. YMMV.
    does this apply to macadmia nuts as well?

tests is offline Junior Member
    i dont know eating that much bacon per day= terrible ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. Maybe the ratio is irrelevant to some?

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tests View Post
    i dont know eating that much bacon per day= terrible ratio of omega 6 to omega 3. Maybe the ratio is irrelevant to some?
    How can you know that? He could be eating some fish, or popping a few fish oil pills.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    In the context of a primal diet where overall PUFA is kept low O6/O3 is no big deal. Yes, fairly irrelevant for anybody when we are talking about O6/O3 from a well sourced animal or nuts rather than rancid O6 from seed pressed oils. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Basically, as long as you are not eating large amounts rancid O6 oils and you eat about a pound of fatty fish a week your going to find you take care of that ratio with or without bacon. Besides that pork has a relatively bad rap for this, and mostly undeserved IMO.

Only 10% of bacons fat is PUFA (and this is conventional data). Almost half of its fat is MUFA with high oleic acid (that fat purported to improve lipid profiles and why everyone goes gaga over olive oil). "From a health standpoint, oleic acid exhibits further benefits. It has been shown to slow the development of heart disease, and promotes the production of antioxidants." Boom antioxidants! The rest is good ole natural saturated fat, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Bacon....superfood? YES!

I'm still waiting for the "Kraken index" thing to be put on the web. Would like to see his breakdown. I understand he put a lot of work into it. http://chriskresser.com/rhr-live-fro...ion-and-health
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-23-2012 at 11:35 AM.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Any reason to eat more bacon is good enough for me!

We get our bacon from US Wellness (when they have it)... sugar free, from pastured pork. Somehow, I think the O6s in it are not anywhere near as problematic as they would be from processed "vegetable" oils.

Still waiting for my eczema to clear up completely. I think it's getting somewhat better.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    As far as I'm concerned, bacon is the greatest invention in the history of mankind.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    I'm with you, Knifegill. My skin is MUCH better since bacon.

I'm thinking about putting bacon fat on my hands and see if it helps the vitiligo. I have it mostly on skin that is dry (hands, feet, elbows), and on arms and tummy it has mostly filled itself in since gong bacon. Plus I would have that bacon smell under my DKNY perfume...mmmh....

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    does this apply to macadmia nuts as well?
    Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that it's still a longchain PUFA. However, the omega 6 in macadamias is linoleic acid, not arachidonic acid. But it's still a whole food, so I wouldn't worry about it. Walnuts are incredibly high in omega 6 - far more than most processed vegetable oils - but it's a whole food. It comes with all the antioxidants, phytochemicals and minerals that nature designed to work in kind with that nut to grow it into a tree. You're eating a whole organism, so I don't fear walnuts. Granted, I don't eat any nuts every day, but to treat nuts the same as vegetable oils just because they both are high PUFA's isn't fair. It would be like calling an apple a bag of sugar, and we know that's not true.

That being said, IMO, poultry and pork are much better staples than nuts in equal PUFA content. I'll always take the animal fat/protein over an equal amount of vegetable fat/protein.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    Most mornings I forget now to do anything to my face, where before primal I would have a whole system to try to keep it from being oily and to manage breakouts. I enjoy bacon a few times a week and salmon almost weekly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast