Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Hand and Finger Strength page

  1. #1
    Al_Kavadlo's Avatar
    Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399

    Post Hand and Finger Strength

    Hey Guys,

    I just posted a new blog about hand and finger strength. Check it out and let me know what you think!

    -Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  2. #2
    halfbunny's Avatar
    halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    129
    Awesome! Although those fingertip push-ups will take some time to master.. I could only manage 1!

  3. #3
    iniQuity's Avatar
    iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    5,718
    Take some of your weight off by working these on your knees, that's how I started.

    Great article once again, Al.

  4. #4
    Al_Kavadlo's Avatar
    Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by halfbunny View Post
    Awesome! Although those fingertip push-ups will take some time to master.. I could only manage 1!
    That's a good start!

    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Take some of your weight off by working these on your knees, that's how I started.

    Great article once again, Al.
    Thanks! And yeah the knee variant is a good one, too.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  5. #5
    ciep's Avatar
    ciep is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Barneveld, NY
    Posts
    533
    Just send your clients rock climbing There are some good boulders in Central Park!

    I like the pic of you doing the fingertip handstand btw, very impressive!

  6. #6
    seaweed's Avatar
    seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,335
    i tried the plank on my fingertips, just to see and got to 10 secs. and then i did a pressup. i was amazed! will def be doing more as i did some climbing at the weekend and loved it.

  7. #7
    EvRevFit's Avatar
    EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, Ca
    Posts
    325
    As usual, you never fail to deliver! I've been building my grip strength back up, but it can be a painfully slow process sometimes...
    Josh Vernier, CPT

    My Journal

    Evolution Revolution Fitness

    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

    -Ayn Rand

  8. #8
    Al_Kavadlo's Avatar
    Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Just send your clients rock climbing There are some good boulders in Central Park!

    I like the pic of you doing the fingertip handstand btw, very impressive!
    Thanks! And yeah, climbing is a fantastic hand and grip workout!

    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i tried the plank on my fingertips, just to see and got to 10 secs. and then i did a pressup. i was amazed! will def be doing more as i did some climbing at the weekend and loved it.
    Good start! Keep it up!

    Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    As usual, you never fail to deliver! I've been building my grip strength back up, but it can be a painfully slow process sometimes...
    Thanks, Josh! Slow and steady!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  9. #9
    Betorq's Avatar
    Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    GA & CA
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i tried the plank on my fingertips, just to see and got to 10 secs. and then i did a pressup. i was amazed! will def be doing more as i did some climbing at the weekend and loved it.
    Al, I segued away from just free weight lifting & now do Convict Conditioning modified w/ some yoga & bicep curls & a few other lifting exercises I value & just don't want to stop entirely. My question is about planks: I've been doing planks pretty much every day 4-5 days a week.

    My planks look like this: 2 minutes in standard pushup position, 1 min on each side, single hand planks, then another 2 minutes in standard pushup position. I try to do them without resting, but if I feel the need to rest, I do downward dog. I time them all w/ my cell phone.

    Is that too much? I alternate days for my upper & lower body exercises, of course. But I've been doing planks each day with all the upper & lower sequences, though I do take 1-2 days off to rest from all exercise, whenever I feel particularly sore or just feel like chillin'... Sometimes I don't swim either. I figure rest is rest. I swim about 4-6 days a week, depends on work, mood, weather...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown


  10. #10
    Al_Kavadlo's Avatar
    Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Al, I segued away from just free weight lifting & now do Convict Conditioning modified w/ some yoga & bicep curls & a few other lifting exercises I value & just don't want to stop entirely. My question is about planks: I've been doing planks pretty much every day 4-5 days a week.

    My planks look like this: 2 minutes in standard pushup position, 1 min on each side, single hand planks, then another 2 minutes in standard pushup position. I try to do them without resting, but if I feel the need to rest, I do downward dog. I time them all w/ my cell phone.

    Is that too much? I alternate days for my upper & lower body exercises, of course. But I've been doing planks each day with all the upper & lower sequences, though I do take 1-2 days off to rest from all exercise, whenever I feel particularly sore or just feel like chillin'... Sometimes I don't swim either. I figure rest is rest. I swim about 4-6 days a week, depends on work, mood, weather...

    Since I know pretty much nothing about you, you're in a much better position than I am to assess whether or not it's too much for you. However, I'm guessing the answer is no since you wouldn't be able to do it every workout without issue if it were too much. It certainly wouldn't be too much for me, but it would be for some people. Know'm sayin?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •