Thread: Hand and Finger Strength page

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member

Post Hand and Finger Strength

Hey Guys,

I just posted a new blog about hand and finger strength. Check it out and let me know what you think!

-Al
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Although those fingertip push-ups will take some time to master.. I could only manage 1!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Take some of your weight off by working these on your knees, that's how I started.

Great article once again, Al.

Quote Originally Posted by halfbunny View Post
    Awesome! Although those fingertip push-ups will take some time to master.. I could only manage 1!
    That's a good start!

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Take some of your weight off by working these on your knees, that's how I started.

Great article once again, Al.
    Thanks! And yeah the knee variant is a good one, too.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

ciep is offline Senior Member
    Just send your clients rock climbing There are some good boulders in Central Park!

I like the pic of you doing the fingertip handstand btw, very impressive!

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i tried the plank on my fingertips, just to see and got to 10 secs. and then i did a pressup. i was amazed! will def be doing more as i did some climbing at the weekend and loved it.

EvRevFit is offline Senior Member
    As usual, you never fail to deliver! I've been building my grip strength back up, but it can be a painfully slow process sometimes...
    Josh Vernier, CPT

My Journal

Evolution Revolution Fitness

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me."

-Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by ciep View Post
    Just send your clients rock climbing There are some good boulders in Central Park!

I like the pic of you doing the fingertip handstand btw, very impressive!
    Thanks! And yeah, climbing is a fantastic hand and grip workout!

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    i tried the plank on my fingertips, just to see and got to 10 secs. and then i did a pressup. i was amazed! will def be doing more as i did some climbing at the weekend and loved it.
    Good start! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by EvRevFit View Post
    As usual, you never fail to deliver! I've been building my grip strength back up, but it can be a painfully slow process sometimes...
    Thanks, Josh! Slow and steady!

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    Al, I segued away from just free weight lifting & now do Convict Conditioning modified w/ some yoga & bicep curls & a few other lifting exercises I value & just don't want to stop entirely. My question is about planks: I've been doing planks pretty much every day 4-5 days a week.

My planks look like this: 2 minutes in standard pushup position, 1 min on each side, single hand planks, then another 2 minutes in standard pushup position. I try to do them without resting, but if I feel the need to rest, I do downward dog. I time them all w/ my cell phone.

Is that too much? I alternate days for my upper & lower body exercises, of course. But I've been doing planks each day with all the upper & lower sequences, though I do take 1-2 days off to rest from all exercise, whenever I feel particularly sore or just feel like chillin'... Sometimes I don't swim either. I figure rest is rest. I swim about 4-6 days a week, depends on work, mood, weather...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Al, I segued away from just free weight lifting & now do Convict Conditioning modified w/ some yoga & bicep curls & a few other lifting exercises I value & just don't want to stop entirely. My question is about planks: I've been doing planks pretty much every day 4-5 days a week.

My planks look like this: 2 minutes in standard pushup position, 1 min on each side, single hand planks, then another 2 minutes in standard pushup position. I try to do them without resting, but if I feel the need to rest, I do downward dog. I time them all w/ my cell phone.

Is that too much? I alternate days for my upper & lower body exercises, of course. But I've been doing planks each day with all the upper & lower sequences, though I do take 1-2 days off to rest from all exercise, whenever I feel particularly sore or just feel like chillin'... Sometimes I don't swim either. I figure rest is rest. I swim about 4-6 days a week, depends on work, mood, weather...

Since I know pretty much nothing about you, you're in a much better position than I am to assess whether or not it's too much for you. However, I'm guessing the answer is no since you wouldn't be able to do it every workout without issue if it were too much. It certainly wouldn't be too much for me, but it would be for some people. Know'm sayin?