Thread: HeuristicFireFlower's 21 Day Challenge page

HeuristicFireFlower is offline Junior Member

HeuristicFireFlower's Healthy Primal Journey

Shop Now
    Emotional trauma, depression and letting go of any health parameters in diet followed as the aftermath.

I began to seek a turn-around of my physical state. Joined Tom Venuto's Burn The Fat Challenge and in 3 months had succeeded in losing 25 pounds! Lost some body fat and felt really great, was getting strong. In 2010 my eldest brother passed away. 2nd emotional slam. Both times I had to take the helm for both family members and take care of what they would not. It was a tremendous emotional strain each instance and, now, looking at it from my present point in time, I see that fall-out from all the stress greatly contributed to ruining the integrity of my gut destroying the bio-balance of my colon.

Several symptoms started to surface. My joints began to hurt, not all the time, but often enough to make me slightly worry. Lifting a Brita water jug caused pain in my wrist and elbow. I became aware of putting weight on my knees. If I had to kneel, I could not get up with holding on to counters, doors. Standing up from a chair, was a conscious effort, then it took about a minute for my to be able to flex my ankles to walků..
    The worst was the prickling pain in my lower intestine, coupled with severe consistent constipation. When the irritation started, triggered mostly by spicy food, I couldn't process the waste. The irritation would paralyze my colon and it would grind to a stop. Days of stabbing pain would have to pass before it calmed down.
    I've been dealing with it for the last 2-3 years. Not even tons of salad with meals would help. Screw the fiber, it only extended the period of the symptoms.

I always did suspect it had to do with stress and diet, but, my understanding was fuzzy. Internet search; I found Elaine Gottschall and hope from what info I read on her research. Bought her book and put myself on the Selective Carbohydrate Diet and began experiments in food eliminations. In 4 days after eliminating all grains, my joint pain cleared up. After one week of cutting grain and processed carbs, my gut calmed down and my energy and clear mind returned. I also lost 4 pounds.

I was astounded.
    This is the path to my health recovery.

The Primal Blueprint 21 Day Challenge will be my opportunity to refine the diet/exercise synchronicity. Specifically, to create a consistent routine of movement. Find enjoyable ways to get stronger and leaner while not spending more money. I guess, I'm also posting here, to find support and motivation, as I still have some bouts of depression with a sense of purposelessness and drifting when it comes to moving forward. I think this is still the residue of the trauma of 2 deaths in my family. The psychology runs very deep and am still unraveling, but, I think a big big step to recovering my balance is strengthening my gut and immune system through diet and exercise.

Oh well, I guess, I also have to work on a better sleep pattern, too. Just realized it's 3am.
    Everyday is a new beginning.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 11-17-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Not motivated much to work out, lift anything, so, today I head up my hill and walk for an hour in the afternoon and end with 100 step stairway for 5 rounds. Since I wrote it,here, I'm committed to follow through. :]

Part of the challenge to eating different is preparation and time to experiment. I'm not natural-born cook, so, trying out recipes and learning to adjust seasonings is a learning curve. So far motivated by a few successes. Checking to see if my pressure cooked pot roast is done,.....smells good.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 09-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Roast was not great. Wine made it to acidic and bitter. Old bottle.......well, live and learn.

One of the things I have to be aware of is internal stress. Frustration is closer to what I mean.

21 Day Goal is to make it a habit to exercise to clear my head and body of anxiety.

Today it felt good to walk in the evening and hit the local stairs. After the round of 5 cycles, I feel my legs slowly getting stronger. Part of restructuring my mind is to remember how good it feels to be strong and to move with strength. To remember the cool breeze and the rustle of leaves when the streets are quiet. This is my escape and down-time. Wandering the neighborhood picking the streets with the inclines and curves.
    Love to see my shadow cast by the street lamps. It changes as I move under them disappearing into the tree shadows and then re-appearing under the next lamp.

This is my lure to go out and move for an hour or so.
    Create a routine and during the next 20 days, re-ingrain this habit back into my routine. I do enjoy getting out, but sometimes depression says the effort isn't worth it. Even more imperative that I trudge out of the house. I have to remember that it does get better.

Other goal is to quit the cheese snacks, at least, for the 21 days.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 09-13-2012 at 04:20 AM.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Just getting out and walking can calm your mind....if you don't think of it as a drudge. What works for me is just noticing as much as I can of what is around me. I am noticing everything instead of grinding through waiting to be done. There are times I do feel like that but it is usually when I have not had enough protein and do not have energy. Mental attitude makes such a huge difference in anything you do.

When you feel up to it, try taking the stairs two at a time. START SLOW! Once you are able to do it, that will tone up the booty quicker than anything!

I'll be here if you need a friend.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Thanks honeybuns, lately, walking is so much more subtractive than being in the gym. I attack the local stairs about 2 - 3 times a week. These stairs have 100 steps total. I do at least 5 rounds and if I don't feel too taxed, I will do last two rounds 2 steps at a time. It really is making a difference in my leg strength and balance! Also booty is a lot firmer. :}
    After, if I can talk my 83 yr. old mom to come, we walk a block or 2 in the evening. It goes much better when you have company.

Today, I made yogurt!! After tons of research, I got the courage and used a Bulgarian type from the Co-op. Now just waiting for this thick milky milk to cool in the fridge.
    Since I am mostly following the Selective Carbohydrate Diet, it requires yogurt to help re-balance gut flora. My hope is with diet I can turn the tide of bad digestive effects.
    So far, my insides are calm.

Now, to cleaning up house and some body weight sets. I find that stating, on this thread, my intentions to move gives me better motivation to get out and sweat a little. It's a public declaration and now I can't back out.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 09-18-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Sigh

Well, a positive to dealing with digestive issues, and the strictness of the diet, has resulted in new skillz!
    5th almond banana cake with walnuts! It did blow up in the oven this time - one banana too many - but it's still tasty. Get to play around with cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla paste!!! House smells so good - Postiive.

Negative - Wednesday meltdown. Handling house maintenance and care for an elderly mom requires energy and difficult decisions. How often I feel alone when I am forced to take the reins. Learned to keep my business to myself, even one's own family can be quick to judge, not being in my position, not here at those moments when things have to be done. I'm aware of and understand the concerns, but, sometimes, emotions are the worst guide to a resolution. Today I kept my thoughts on the moment. No mind chatter allowed. No ones judgement enters this mental realm.

This is good. It's the forerunner to prepping my mind, as I once had, to focus on the physical journey and clear a steady path to getting my health back and my strength farther than I've ever taken it. So, creep up on the exercise one walk at a time. 2 or 3 rounds on the stairs not too far apart in the week. Have to keep the calves from re-soreing themselves when take too long to stair-climb again. Abhor the gym environment, lately. Confinement as well as feeling like a poser. Instead, walk in freedom with no roof overhead. I can handle that.
    Last edited by HeuristicFireFlower; 09-21-2012 at 01:16 AM.

I had to have 2 tortillas with a fried onion omelet. I've not had tortilla for over a month. Not an excuse, I know. I am starting off fresh tomorrow because it is a new day.

Had a great day at the gym. Suddenly, at 7:30pm, I had a surge of energy that could not be ignored.
    I did several rounds of an M11 exercise, my trainer showed me followed by some crunch curls, one leg held off floor curls and body weight squats with every effort trying for better form. Felt so good, I went to the weight room and finished off with 2 sets of leg presses and several sets of arm and shoulder free weight lifts.

It's been rare to feel any surplus of energy at all. I felt confident and renewed hope. I hafta say I'm pretty sure it's the 90% compliant off grains that's allowing my body to re-circuit it's priorities. Even as I slip off, I know I will never go fully back to the foods I used to eat. I love feeling mentally free and clear and a body that doesn't feel sluggish and drags for days.
    I feel like I have a future I can make.
    Interesting I've noted, is the last couple weeks, more mornings than not, I wake up at 7-7:30 am with a restlessness. NO matter if the night before I went to sleep a 4am. When I go to bed, at whatever time, I don't feel particularly restless or wide awake. But, I wind up waking at 7am. Unusual, because, Ima sleep 'til noon individ, whose had this habit since High School.
    It's very distinct. I find, that getting up for a little while, allows the energy to dissipate and I can go back to sleep. Been trying to break this habit for years. NOw, my body is actually WILLING to help me out by waking me a 7-7:30am.
    :]
    So, I have in front of my mind everyday to be consistent with my physical care and the need to use my muscles on a consistent basis. And my day has expanded and I will try to take advantage...

This afternoon, hit the stairs again two days after the last stair romp. Last time was 8 rounds, today was 5. It really does tire me. But, so happy that I can even move my body up 2 steps at a time. Stronger muscles are motivation to keep on keeping on. What I do notice is some unbalancing on stepping up, I think it's weak ankles, 'cause it seems that they're not stabilizing.
    Will continue to work to correct this.

Made carnitas!!! Tasty and proud of my accomplishment, although not all that hard, but, first times are always exciting.

After my osteopath's treatment, yesterday, I woke up noticing a definite sensation in the left hip. Very good!

21 day is now full time experimentation. Supplements seem to be making a difference. Butyrate for a little over a month and acidophilus powder mix in the mornings. Have just added ionic liquid zinc. NO more irritation in my low gut when I tentatively try chile on things. No gurgle at all. Yay!

Does anyone know how to change thread title???