Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiking shoe question page

cath47 is offline Junior Member

Hiking shoe question

Last year, august, about a year before going primal, I bought some expensive hiking shoes.... They were very confortable for about half an hour wearing them in the shop. Only this year I really got to use them... and they are not confortable at all while walking in the pyrenees mountains! After about an hour, my right foot feels crushed, my toes get hurt while walking downhill which really exagerates the pain in my big toes (hallux valgus tendancy), and I really, really felt clumsy with a pair of boots so big and stiff!
    About two weeks ago I received a pair of Vibram KSO trek shoes, and I'm trying to get adapted to them. So far so good! I've done two small one hour walks (with a little running in between), no pain at all!
    But I'm not sure if the KSO trek would hold up in the pyrenees mountains... sharp rocks and all.... What are your ideas about hiking shoes that I could use, can I use the KSO treks? (that is, if my feet would stand more than 6 hours walking in them! should probably train a bit more!)
    Another question, summer will not last forever (although last year until november I was still wearing my sandals!) and I just hate the thought of putting my feet in shoes again, what are confortable "barefoot" shoes to wear that look like normal shoes?

Thanks for your answer!
    Karine

peril is offline Senior Member
    Vivobarefoot
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    for hiking, i love my merrell trail gloves on anything with sharp or jagged rocks. wearing vibrams up a mountain like is great, but coming down can be painful. the thicker, stiffer sole and closed toe box of the trail gloves gives me all the protection i need while still feeling light and mobile. now i only use my clunky hiking boots for shoveling snow or winter hikes when i don't need snowshoes.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like your first pair of shoes were just too small. If you're really looking for a sturdy pair of boots, you might try a slightly larger size. I find that sizing is all relative. When I buy waterproof boots for example, I almost always have to go up a half size because the waterproof liner takes up extra space inside the boot. If you shop at REI, they will let you return boots after you have hiked in them if they aren't comfy.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Chaussures Barefoot Femme - Barefoot collection Femme

Merrell has some great barefoot shoes. Rumor has it that next year they will be coming out with a minimal hiking shoe/boot.
    Last edited by Lynna; 09-11-2012 at 08:23 AM.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    for hiking, i love my merrell trail gloves on anything with sharp or jagged rocks. wearing vibrams up a mountain like is great, but coming down can be painful. the thicker, stiffer sole and closed toe box of the trail gloves gives me all the protection i need while still feeling light and mobile. now i only use my clunky hiking boots for shoveling snow or winter hikes when i don't need snowshoes.
    +1. I go hiking and backpacking with the Merrell barefoot style shoes. Love 'em. Trail gloves are great in summer, but true gloves or sonics are great when it gets cold.

--Me

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I second the Merrell's the only issue I have had with them is scrambling up scree there is no ankle protection from moving and falling scree.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I second the Merrell's the only issue I have had with them is scrambling up scree there is no ankle protection from moving and falling scree.
    What about gaiters?

How to Choose Gaiters

or do they not offer enough protection.

cath47 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    It sounds like your first pair of shoes were just too small. If you're really looking for a sturdy pair of boots, you might try a slightly larger size. I find that sizing is all relative. When I buy waterproof boots for example, I almost always have to go up a half size because the waterproof liner takes up extra space inside the boot. If you shop at REI, they will let you return boots after you have hiked in them if they aren't comfy.
    The size of these shoes were right, they measured it, and had them measure it again, this summer.... I think they are not fit for my feet. Anyone wants a pair of Meindl Burma Pro size 39,5?? I'm trying to sell them.......
    REI is not really an option, since I live in France.... nice shop though!!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I hike quite a bit and I am a huge minimalist shoe fan, but I have to tell you, that for any real hiking, minimalist shoes are not good. I prefer thicker sole. Many trail runners are good but you have the same issues getting a decent fit that you do with boots. Chaco sandals are excellent. I have even made my own homemade sandals, but not with a thin sole, but a thicker one. I don't need arch support and all that crap. I need protection from injury, enough cushioning that I can walk super fast and all day long, and enough room for my feet. Of all the shoes I've used, Chacos are my favorite store-bought shoes. I have backpacked hundreds of miles in the San Bernardino, San Gabriel, High Sierra and Southern Cascades in them. If I can hike the John Muir trail in the High Sierra I think you can do the Pyrenees. But if the Pyrenees have a lot of snow or bad weather, then you might prefer trail running shoes. I don't like Chacos in snow. Too slippery and too much snow gets under your toes.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast