Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: chin ups for women

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,369

    chin ups for women

    i was wondering if any of the women out here who can do chin ups can share how they trained to do them and how long they trained for to get there?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    4,494
    ooh, great question, please share.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    416
    Please note, mine is of the singular, ie, chin up

    At first I dangled, holding it for as long as I could. Then I was able to lift myself a fraction, then a tad more, than a little more. eventually, after a couple of months, I could go the whole way. Because I'm tiny, I'll never have (I imagine) sustained strength, so instead of trying to do more than one, I hold it for as long as I can. Currently 10-13 seconds. I also plank and do men's pushups (I can do 13 of these)

    oh hang on, I mean pull up not chin up (is there a difference??)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Check out this article I did about pull-ups for women. It includes a video clip with a very strong and inspiring lady!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Check out this article I did about pull-ups for women. It includes a video clip with a very strong and inspiring lady!
    This....

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Check out this article I did about pull-ups for women. It includes a video clip with a very strong and inspiring lady!
    Al, I'll just mention here that you've been an inspiration for me! I've watched several of the videos on your website, and my husband and I intend to get your book when we have the cash.

    I've actually found that pull ups are easier for me than chin ups. Not that I've managed to do one unassisted yet, but the form seems to be easier. I am able to hang at the top 7-8 seconds and then do some pretty good negatives.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,399
    Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldRose View Post
    Al, I'll just mention here that you've been an inspiration for me! I've watched several of the videos on your website, and my husband and I intend to get your book when we have the cash.
    Thanks!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

    "You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

    My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    1,466
    A pullup (palms away from you) uses the lats more, a chin up (palms towards you) uses the biceps more. Chinups are generally easier than pullups for most people.

    The best way to improve your strength for either one is to do negatives. Start at the top (use a chair or step stool) and slowly let yourself down. One method to build up to doing pullups or chinups is called "greasing the groove", where you do many sets throughout the day. This is easy if you have a pullup bar at home, just do 8 or 10 every hour or two.

    If you have a gym membership, doing lat pulldowns with progressively more weight is a way to build up strength to do pullups and chin-ups. Some gyms also have assisted pullup machines, where you kneel on a small platform and the machine takes away part of your bodyweight. Doing negatives (IMO) is better than using machines because you're stressing the muscles in a more direct way. For some people, though, doing lat pulldowns or using the pullup machine gets them to the point where they can do negatives.

    How long it takes to train to do one really depends on each individual. No matter how long it takes, if it's one of your goals, keep working on it!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    A pullup (palms away from you) uses the lats more, a chin up (palms towards you) uses the biceps more. Chinups are generally easier than pullups for most people.
    What is it when the palms are facing your ears? I use the moveable monkey bars at school (probably not called monkey bars, cos they're not fixed like a ladder. They can twist in their socket) and end up (sometimes) with palms facing ears. Other times it is a chin up (thanks for the clarification )

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Northern Utah
    Posts
    1,466
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    What is it when the palms are facing your ears? I use the moveable monkey bars at school (probably not called monkey bars, cos they're not fixed like a ladder. They can twist in their socket) and end up (sometimes) with palms facing ears. Other times it is a chin up (thanks for the clarification )
    No special name for those AFAIK, just "modified pullup" !!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •