Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chin ups for women page

seaweed is online now Senior Member

chin ups for women

Primal Fuel
    i was wondering if any of the women out here who can do chin ups can share how they trained to do them and how long they trained for to get there?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    ooh, great question, please share.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Please note, mine is of the singular, ie, chin up

At first I dangled, holding it for as long as I could. Then I was able to lift myself a fraction, then a tad more, than a little more. eventually, after a couple of months, I could go the whole way. Because I'm tiny, I'll never have (I imagine) sustained strength, so instead of trying to do more than one, I hold it for as long as I can. Currently 10-13 seconds. I also plank and do men's pushups (I can do 13 of these)

oh hang on, I mean pull up not chin up (is there a difference??)

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Check out this article I did about pull-ups for women. It includes a video clip with a very strong and inspiring lady!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    A pullup (palms away from you) uses the lats more, a chin up (palms towards you) uses the biceps more. Chinups are generally easier than pullups for most people.

The best way to improve your strength for either one is to do negatives. Start at the top (use a chair or step stool) and slowly let yourself down. One method to build up to doing pullups or chinups is called "greasing the groove", where you do many sets throughout the day. This is easy if you have a pullup bar at home, just do 8 or 10 every hour or two.

If you have a gym membership, doing lat pulldowns with progressively more weight is a way to build up strength to do pullups and chin-ups. Some gyms also have assisted pullup machines, where you kneel on a small platform and the machine takes away part of your bodyweight. Doing negatives (IMO) is better than using machines because you're stressing the muscles in a more direct way. For some people, though, doing lat pulldowns or using the pullup machine gets them to the point where they can do negatives.

How long it takes to train to do one really depends on each individual. No matter how long it takes, if it's one of your goals, keep working on it!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    The first time around, I used an assisted pullup machine. Not my ideal, really. The movement is weird.

The second time around, after gaining weight/losing muscle and then needing to get that back, I used the resistance band method (basically as a sling for your feet) augmented by doing rows using the rings. I also did some jumping pullups/chinups at the park near my house. The first ones I got back to being able to do were ring pullups because I found the arm angle works best for me, then worked on improving the others.

I'm now working on upping my reps!

I highly recommend checking out Al's article and also this one from Krista over at Stumptuous.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_Kavadlo View Post
    Check out this article I did about pull-ups for women. It includes a video clip with a very strong and inspiring lady!
    This....

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    My daughter wanted to do a chin up. We set up a bar for her and each time she walked in and out of the room she would do a negative chin. She then started a more strict program.
    day one - 1 negative chin
    day two - 2 negative chin
    etc
    by day 15 she could do a chinup.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and the other part of it. If you are losing weight as you are learning, you will hit a tipping point where your increasing strength and decreasing weight converge. Once this happened, it was like magic for me. Some people wait until they lose weight to start learning, but I think the strength gains I made by doing the progression at a heavier weight made a huge difference for me in the long run.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Chris_H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Oh, and the other part of it. If you are losing weight as you are learning, you will hit a tipping point where your increasing strength and decreasing weight converge. Once this happened, it was like magic for me. Some people wait until they lose weight to start learning, but I think the strength gains I made by doing the progression at a heavier weight made a huge difference for me in the long run.
    I totally agree with this. I have never been able to do a pull up, but am getting really close since training with negatives on my children's swing set and dropping some pounds.
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast