Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: chin ups for women page 3

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Oh, and the other part of it. If you are losing weight as you are learning, you will hit a tipping point where your increasing strength and decreasing weight converge. Once this happened, it was like magic for me. Some people wait until they lose weight to start learning, but I think the strength gains I made by doing the progression at a heavier weight made a huge difference for me in the long run.
    This is what I figure... once I've lost 15kg more, I should easily have the strength to do a pull up or chin up or whatever, especially if I keep building muscle in the meantime (and I may get there before I've lost all the weight too ). Lighter women (and men probably) do generally have an easier time of it, all else being equal, simply because they have less weight to lift (as shown by our CrossFit instructor this morning who was having a bit of a gloat as he can do stuff the other instructor can't... probably as he's a small/lean guy and the other guy is big and beefy, and while he'd have greater overall strength, easily... just finds certain things harder because of his size).

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    A pullup (palms away from you) uses the lats more, a chin up (palms towards you) uses the biceps more. Chinups are generally easier than pullups for most people.
    What is it when the palms are facing your ears? I use the moveable monkey bars at school (probably not called monkey bars, cos they're not fixed like a ladder. They can twist in their socket) and end up (sometimes) with palms facing ears. Other times it is a chin up (thanks for the clarification )

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I found kettlebell training helps a lot to build core strength. I'm a 30yo male, 200lbs, and was never able to do a single chin up in my life. After a few months of kettlebell training I can now do 6 chin ups in a row quite easily. Still not great but it's progress and doing the actual chin ups on a regular basis will help as well, I suppose. Target is 20 in a row.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bron View Post
    What is it when the palms are facing your ears? I use the moveable monkey bars at school (probably not called monkey bars, cos they're not fixed like a ladder. They can twist in their socket) and end up (sometimes) with palms facing ears. Other times it is a chin up (thanks for the clarification )
    No special name for those AFAIK, just "modified pullup" !!

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    No special name for those AFAIK, just "modified pullup" !!
    There actually is a name for this type of pull-up. It's called a "neutral grip" pull-up. But yeah you can just call all of them a pull-up and that's cool too.

I mentioned the neutral grip pull-up in this guest post I did for MDA on the importance of pull-up bar training.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

kaylaerin is offline Junior Member
    I started a while back with p90x (doing only the strength workouts), but I found that my pull-ups/chin-ups didn't improve that much. I think it focused too much on high reps and getting there by any means (lots of assistance, but no focus on getting rid of the assistance). After a few months with p90x, I still was no where near getting rid of the chair to help me up.

Then I started barbell training + pull-ups/chin-ups. I got rid of the chair and basically started by doing negatives. I started doing 3 sets of 5. Pretty soon I was able to add reps. Then I was able to pull myself up and do like 5 pull-ups, but still touched down after each rep. Then I could do 3 sets of 10. Now I can do at least 8 chin-ups without touching down, but not coming all the way down to hanging. I've stopped adding reps now and I'm working on being able to hang all the way down between reps and then I think I'll work on being able to do the same with pull-ups. I didn't really look into the best way to work up to doing pull-ups before I started, I just knew that the p90x approach didn't do it for me. This way kind of just made sense and seems to be working for me. Each time I work out I try to do just a little more, come down a little lower, hang on a little longer, etc. I've been doing this about 3 times a week since June I think.

(It's also super motivating to keep working out. I have a bad habit of working out really well for months and then doing nothing for months, but I would hate to have to start back up from scratch on my pull-ups and chin-ups.)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    I mentioned the neutral grip pull-up in this guest post I did for MDA on the importance of pull-up bar training.
    awesome article. i went to the gym. did the hang at the top of the bar with my chin over the top and remembered after 10 secs about my rotator cuff which i had been ignoring as it had almost gone away. so back down on the ground for me till it stops hurting which is very annoying.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123