Weight Gain Meal and Exercise Plans
I've posted here previously: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread65629.html
Basically, I'm a 15 year-old female. Currently 5"1 or 5"2, weight hovering at around 83lbs. I'm recovering from a 2-3 month long bout of anorexia. I probably ate around 600-800 kcals everyday while restricting, not actually THAT low.
Anyway, I'm trying to gain weight. I expect fat gain, obviously, with my BMI, but I don't want it to be excessive. So I'd like to try gain back as much lean muscle as possible (which I have lost some of, I think.) Any suggestions? My main concerns:
1) Caloric count. Should I just go by intuitive eating, or hit a certain count everyday? I see ED recovery forums recommending at least 2500kcals to increase metabolism, but that sounds terribly high and I'm pretty small-framed.
2) Macronutrient ratios. I think some blogs like paleopepper recommend higher carbs. I currently eat about 30% fat, 60% protein, 10% carbs. Should I adjust this? I ask this especially because I heard that to rebuild muscle, we need glycogen and water.
3) Carbs. Should I stick to safe starches like sweet potatoes and yams? Or should I venture down the spectrum: potatoes, rice, or even grains!? What about fruits?
4) Fats. I have no problem with nuts, fatty fish, oils. I just hesitate more when it comes to saturated animal fats (ie. "visible" ones, like those on pork chops).
5) Catabolism and exercise. What sort of exercise should I be doing? Or even do any? I desperately don't want to gain back excessive fat, as I've said, but I don't want to continue catabolising any protein either. ): It's such a dilemma for someone wanting to recover from ED. I KNOW I need to eat more to regain muscle, but at the same time I worry about the composition and redistribution of the regained weight.
Any and all advice is appreciated! Sample meal plans, exercise plans, experience in weight gain and/or ED recovery (esp. anorexia)!
1. 2500 calories at your age sounds great;
2. primal blueprint goes for about 40-50% fat, 25-30% protein, the rest carbohydrate. It works well for me, and it has worked well for others, including malpaz who was also recovering from an eating disorder. her blog has a lot of information, too.
3. i would stick with safe starches for the now. see where you go as you go. I think malpaz has more information about this in her work, and has done well without anything really.
4. I don't eat "visible fat" as a matter of preference either. You can get plenty of fat by that which renders and you'll eat unknowingly, and then whatever else is just in your foods (ie, eggs, etc). Not to worry too much there.
5. if you lift heavy things, you'll gain muscle and it'll be all good. You can start with the primal blueprint big 5 and get great results, and then move into the major movements if you want to lift weights. There's lots of ways of getting there (odd object lifting, kettle bells, sledge hammer work, whatever. lots of ways.).
Tags for this Thread