Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42

Thread: Son of a b@@@h that hurt!!!! page 4

  1. #31
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Cold water and ice can make a sting worse. Bee and wasp venom is thermolabile. This means it breaks down under heat. If the OP had run his finger under hot water - as hot as he could stand, the pain would likely be gone in less than 5 minutes. I have thrown peopel with multiple stings into a hot hot shower and in no time they were back to normal. If you wait too long with multiple stings the venom is in too deep to be affected by the heat and you may have other issues depending on the severity & location of the stings and you may have to seek medical attention.
    Cheers
    J
    Interesting. I have never been stung before so I was just going with the basic anti-inflammatory protocol of icing. It felt better this morning (almost normal) but then about noon it started itching like crazy. I iced it again and that went away but it's still red and swollen. But perhaps the poison is trying to work its way out. Hmm.

    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    my brother as a kid, got stung inside his mouth. He couldn't eat for weeks. A bee crawled into his soda and he didn't realize it until it was to late.
    Oh my goodness, that's horrific. I can only imagine how much that must have hurt. That's even worse than Solstice's boob sting.

  2. #32
    sroelofs's Avatar
    sroelofs is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    Cold water and ice can make a sting worse. Bee and wasp venom is thermolabile. This means it breaks down under heat. If the OP had run his finger under hot water - as hot as he could stand, the pain would likely be gone in less than 5 minutes. I have thrown peopel with multiple stings into a hot hot shower and in no time they were back to normal. If you wait too long with multiple stings the venom is in too deep to be affected by the heat and you may have other issues depending on the severity & location of the stings and you may have to seek medical attention.
    Cheers
    J
    Yay! That's what I was going to say. The poison is a protein so the heat denatures it making it useless.

  3. #33
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    NY / Italy
    Posts
    1,210
    Quote Originally Posted by phigment View Post
    my brother as a kid, got stung inside his mouth. He couldn't eat for weeks. A bee crawled into his soda and he didn't realize it until it was to late.
    In college, a bunch of friends (7) shared a house. At one point, one of the girls got a reputation for pilfering food and juice and whatnot from the others. So one day, one of my friends put a wasp inside her OWN orange juice container, and put it back in the fridge and waited...

    Yes, the Pilferer got the shock of her life, that wasp was damn angry (I'm actually surprised it survived) but luckily no stings!
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-12-2012 at 06:10 AM.

  4. #34
    keithpowers's Avatar
    keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    627
    I use household ammonia. Bee venom, in general, is a soup of fatty acids and proteins. Neutralize the fatty acids with an über-strong base, and be amazed by instant relief.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

    The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

  5. #35
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Question: A day and a half later one would think it would be just about well but the darn thing is getting puffier and itches so bad I want to rip my finger off just to make it stop. The inflammation is in my hand now too, not just the finger that got stung. And the two joints on either side of the sting spot feel stiff.

    To those of you who said heat would work, do you think it's too late for that to do any good now?

    The actual puncture wound doesn't hurt any more, seems to have closed up, so I don't think most topical remedies would be helping at this point.

  6. #36
    Lynna's Avatar
    Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Posts
    1,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Question: A day and a half later one would think it would be just about well but the darn thing is getting puffier and itches so bad I want to rip my finger off just to make it stop. The inflammation is in my hand now too, not just the finger that got stung. And the two joints on either side of the sting spot feel stiff.

    To those of you who said heat would work, do you think it's too late for that to do any good now?

    The actual puncture wound doesn't hurt any more, seems to have closed up, so I don't think most topical remedies would be helping at this point.
    It wouldn't hurt to try the heat. I use it on mosquito bites. I run water as hot as I can stand it over a bite and it generally stops bothering me for hours. You still also might want to try benadryl.

  7. #37
    meeme's Avatar
    meeme is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennswoods
    Posts
    119
    I second the benadryl for swelling and itching. I'll try the heat next time I'm bitten or stung...the child that was helped with vinegar and cucumber had a favorable outcome, maybe it was mothers love, it was all I had so I passed it to the mother to put on the sting. It was at a womyns festival and there wasn't anything else.

  8. #38
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to try the heat. I use it on mosquito bites. I run water as hot as I can stand it over a bite and it generally stops bothering me for hours. You still also might want to try benadryl.
    Well, I have been doing benadryl indirectly for the past two nights in the form of advilPM. The PM part is basically benadryl. It makes me too sleepy to use during the day especially when I have to drive to take Dad to MD appointments, etc.

    I juts tried the hot water method and it is still swollen but that does seem to have calmed down the ferocious itching.

  9. #39
    mustard's Avatar
    mustard is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2
    My one year old was stung yesterday.

    We used vinegar to soak it (not that it was easy with her screaming and squirming around).

    Ultimately, the thing that made everything better was frozen yogurt and a walk around IKEA.

  10. #40
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just about all my home furnishings are IKEA . I love that place. They should come do a photo shoot in my living room and give me a quantity discount or something.

    The itching has stayed down after the hot soak so I think there may be something to that theory. Next time, which I hope never happens, I will try that sooner. There is still some puffiness but no redness or pain.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •