Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I am depressed page 5

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I haven't read this whole thread yet, but has anyone mentioned GABA to you? 200-500mg a day.

It helps repair neurotransmitters and heals those poor nerves. I know exactly what kind of place you're in - my mind has been a very overstimulating place to be lately. Just the other day I fell headfirst into an existential pit of infinite sads, after being clear of them for a few weeks. The next day I felt really good, as I always overcompensate like that, but since then it's definitely been lurking around the fringe of my psyche.
    I keep trying to force myself to not think, watching junk tv, hanging on the computer all day, but it just makes me feel stupid, not any more relaxed. Then I get guilty for not being productive.
    I hope you start to feel better.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Hi, I dunno if anyone has recommended it yet, but do yourself a favor and look into RHODIOLA. When I went away to college, the year away from home took a huge toll on my mental state, I came back a wreck, anxious, depressed, having panic attacks, would freak out if I was inside for too long... in February I started taking Rhodiola, and that same night I watched all of American Idol without having a freak out and needing to step out for air...it was a big step. A few weeks later I could work again without panicking... I also self-medicate with marijuana, not sure that's something you want to get into but it would be wrong of me not to mention the role it serves in my life... Take lots of Fish Oil and vitamin D daily, I keep St Johns Wort and CoQ10 on hand in case I feel like I need them, and I take 1000mg of Rhodiola every day. I can feel it starting to take effect when I take a capsule at work... About 20 minutes after taking it, I start handing everything calmly and patiently instead of being frazzled...it's like watching a person who has their shit together slowly take over your body, and the depression loses its hold over you... Definitely worth a try! Get the standardized one...3% rosavins and 1% salidroside, I think

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Thanks so much to everyone for all these amazing responses. Lots of really helpful info here. I've been incorporating some suggestions and while I am still struggling, I feel that I am improving.

A few updates on my end:

1. My labs came back normal - they only checked TSH which was normal, and Parathryoid - also normal. The doctor said I should come back in two weeks if I don't feel better.

2. My period had been about 2 weeks late and finally arrived. I am sure this indicated that something was off in my hormones, and I felt quite a bit better with anxiety and depression after that.

3. I have been eating a diet of mostly meat and fruit lately - no real starches. I have had zero appetite since all this started and have to force myself just to eat a few hundred calories a day. But I did add in some rice and sweet potatoes and some yogurt. This seems to be stimulating my appetite a little bit again.

4. I picked up some 5-htp yesterday. I took two tiny doses today. I opened the 50 mg capsules and took a tiny bit in am and at lunch. I think it made me a bit sleepy but it didn't seem to cause any anxiety, so I will keep experimenting with it.

5. I am keeping myself as busy as possible. Trying to add in more exercise, forcing myself to be more social, and making plans for activities. It's out of character for me, but I'm going to keep at it for now.

Overall, I am still struggling. But I am not in the same downward spiral that I was. I am really grateful for all the support here - part of the pain of all this is feeling the nothing could possibly ever change. So reading comments of how things can get better was helpful. Thanks to everyone!!
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jammies. Just checking in to say hi - I've been depressed many times, but I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been posted here. The last time I used prozac, which worked for me - I needed it for 18 months then weaned off over a couple of months. I think what it did for me was raise my energy levels so I could help myself. I also went to therapy, but focusing on past crap didn't help me to create a better future, so I stopped. One thing I know - It will pass. Sending heaps of love your way.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    5-HTP always made me sleepy. Most of the recommendations I've read say to take it around dinner and before bed.

I recently started feeling depressed more often again and had to go back on Tryptophan. I feel a lot better now. But I also had spotting and my period didn't show up when it was supposed to, so something was definitely off with my hormones. I'm going to see if I can get a comprehensive hormone panel done soon.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Leida is offline Senior Member
    5 HTP comes in two forms, and the one that includes sleeping component (iirc it was valerian) made me super-grogy (surprise!). Now I get one which only have HTP, and it just fine.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    5 HTP comes in two forms, and the one that includes sleeping component (iirc it was valerian) made me super-grogy (surprise!). Now I get one which only have HTP, and it just fine.
    I've never heard of the one with valerian before. Plain old 5-HTP just makes me sleepy.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Glad to hear things are starting to get better, jammies!

Don't ever start thinking it's just you. PLENTY of people have anxiety and depression, either occasionally or chronically. You're not alone in feeling that way.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Hi Jammies. Just checking in to say hi - I've been depressed many times, but I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been posted here. The last time I used prozac, which worked for me - I needed it for 18 months then weaned off over a couple of months. I think what it did for me was raise my energy levels so I could help myself. I also went to therapy, but focusing on past crap didn't help me to create a better future, so I stopped. One thing I know - It will pass. Sending heaps of love your way.
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. I really do appreciate them! Even though I am improving, I wish it would go away sooner. I read something yesterday that you should not expect to "snap out" of a depression. That it is a very gradual transition. So I'm trying not to be too impatient when feeling down.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    5-HTP always made me sleepy. Most of the recommendations I've read say to take it around dinner and before bed.

I recently started feeling depressed more often again and had to go back on Tryptophan. I feel a lot better now. But I also had spotting and my period didn't show up when it was supposed to, so something was definitely off with my hormones. I'm going to see if I can get a comprehensive hormone panel done soon.
    I think the 5-htp may be making me a bit sleep too. I tried taking some this evening too see if it will keep me relaxed in the evening. I am still taking tiny doses though. I think I read about tryptophan a bit more tonight. Thank you!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345