Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I am depressed page 4

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If I start to get depressed it's usually because I forgot to eat liver.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I'd recommend going ahead and having your D levels checked while your getting labs to find out just how much you should be supplementing. Then making sure you supplement enough to get them up to the top end of optimal range (approximate 60-70 ng/ml from what I've read).

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I'm curious if perhaps your digestive symptoms are still going on. I've recently been experiencing low moods and constipation, and remembered that serotonin is primarily produced in the gut. I think it is more common that digestive issues influence serotonin (so, mood) issues than misfiring in the brain. Underground Wellness had a podcast about this recently, I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing, but there's a short YouTube audio clip available. Is Depression Really Caused by Low Serotonin? - YouTube

I've taken 5-HTP and L-Tryptophan (recently started taking the latter again), in the evenings and morning respectively. I did not experience increased anxiety from either. I can tell Tryptophan is working within an hour of taking it. If nothing happens, you take another (raise the dose). You can do that a few times, for up to 500mg, safely, I think. "The Mood Cure" by Julia Ross has more information on that. I remember you've posted before about anxiety, I'm sorry that you are still having problems with it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I'm curious if perhaps your digestive symptoms are still going on. I've recently been experiencing low moods and constipation, and remembered that serotonin is primarily produced in the gut. I think it is more common that digestive issues influence serotonin (so, mood) issues than misfiring in the brain. Underground Wellness had a podcast about this recently, I haven't had a chance to listen to the whole thing, but there's a short YouTube audio clip available. Is Depression Really Caused by Low Serotonin? - YouTube
    Low serotonin is only one of many causes of depression.

And yes, 80% of the body's serotonin is produced by the gut flora. But intestinal serotonin does not cross the blood-brain barrier and thus has no effect on mood. The brain generates its own serotonin to keep tighter control on levels since excess brain serotonin can have serious adverse effects. The gut serotonin is used for other purposes such as regulation of intestinal peristalsis and blood pressure.

Kelmar is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to add another sympathetic shoulder....I also have a history of anxiety (panic attacks) and depression, I really feel for you and hope that you get something figured out soon! I know it's really hard but try to stay positive and I think it's really good that you are activley seeking help and not just taking it laying down! Hang in there...

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Did you say how old you are? Hormones can be a real bitch.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Leida is offline Senior Member
    5 HTP helped me with those horrid carb withdrawal lows, but it is not a panacea. I know that for me it was serotonine, because the serotonine Diet was magic (I just ate a tbsp of honey with a cup of green tea about 2 pm... alas, I started breaking out like crazy, so had to abandon that cure). Cold and dry for me is often connected with fasting for too long on <1300 cals days. Having a cup of broth after 12th-14th hour of the fast helps, and yes, it breaks a 'perfect' fast, but allows to delay the meal by a good 3-4 hours without the loss of energy/negative symptoms. Higher fat intake (>60%) helps with the cold issue as well. Overall, with the fat intake of >40% dry hands go away, but dry feet do not.
    Last edited by Leida; 09-11-2012 at 10:59 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I can try to provide additional info:

My symptoms include diarrhea (that was actually the first symptom), feeling very cold, my period was quite late, dry mouth, weakness, insomnia, horrible hopeless feeling, anxiety.
    Have you considered/been tested for hyPERthyroidism?

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    Well I can't help you on the chemical side of things, but I feel you on the hopelessness and anxiety. Mine comes in waves too and I usually keep it at bay, stuffed in the corner where it can't really affect my life. Here's what I do, hopefully some of this can help.

1. Sunlight, or vitamin D if you can't get outside enough. Bonus points for walking barefoot on grass in the sun.
    2. Physical activity (the more intense the better, but don't burn yourself out).
    3. Spend as much time as you can with people who make you smile. Don't try to hide how you're feeling.
    4. Whatever you do, don't sit around. Go do something. Anything.
    5. The best way to do #4 is to treat yourself. It can be hard, but act like you're worth something.

I may come up with more and I'll post them later if I do. Good luck jammies.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another tactic is to remember how ultimately insignificant you are. Rest assured that the generations to come will hardly remember your name, know what you were good at, or what you got wrong. There's nothing you can do to make even the slightest dent in the universe. Laugh at it. Be grateful you are unimportant and will not be missed. It's liberating, a burden gone from the shoulders, when you know the piles of money and stuff you moved in your life will simply be moved again by others after you die. Everything will be lost in the eons to come, obliterated to anonymity. Whatever you accomplish, it will be knocked down. Western civilization itself will fall and all our own cultural ideals will be annihilated by new peoples. Whether or not you fulfilled these ideals will matter even less after you die. Let it all go. Breathe. And no more, just breathe. Born to die, just to pass on your DNA. At best.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast