Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I am depressed page 2

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I have a depressive disorder, so it's always lurking at the corners of my life. I've learned to live with it and find ways to pull myself out of the hole. One of the things I've learned is that depression lies to us and tells us we should be able to just deal with things and that we're not worthy of help. I'm glad you're reaching out and looking for some answers.
    My gosh - I have been through some rough spots, but I really had no idea how horribly painful something like this could be. I have no choice but to get some help - I am soooo unbelievably miserable!! I have strong feeling the few labs my doctor checked are going to be normal and then she will suggest anti-depressents. I don't want to do that, but I feel so desperate to not feel this way. I don't know what else to ask for?

How do you cope with feeling this way? I just can't bear the thought of life feeling this bad.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I can try to provide additional info:

My symptoms include diarrhea (that was actually the first symptom), feeling very cold, my period was quite late, dry mouth, weakness, insomnia, horrible hopeless feeling, anxiety.

I take magnesium and vitamin D3 regularly. I occasionally take zinc, methylated folate, methylB12, DHA/EPA. I used to take potassium regularly, but stopped it recently. But I don't think potassium and depression are related.

ETA - I have also had a dramatic loss of appetite and have lost about 6 lbs in the last two weeks.
    Many of your symptoms are fitting of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is often missed by routine lab tests though. I recommend doing your basal body temperature readings for at least a week. In conjunction with symptoms this can be a lot more accurate than lab tests for thyroid function.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I take an antidepressant (not an SSRI) and take a lot of time for self care. My life is not always like that--it comes and goes and can be managed. I have lots of good, happy days. When I'm feeling really down, I try to remember that life doesn't always feel like that and try to find the things to do that make me feel better.

It's a chronic illness, and like many other chronic illnesses, it can be managed so that it's easier to live with and those big crashes can be minimized.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Owly is offline Senior Member
    However, it sounds to me like you have something else going on considering the other symptoms. I'd definitely get the labs done and have them do a pretty thorough workup.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Can anyone out there offer suggestions? I am so miserable.
    I was feeling somewhat down as well, and added a daily fish oil pill. Things improved.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I know how that feels. I was in a very traumatic car accident 13 years ago, when I was 19. I broke my neck C-1, C-2, and C-3, shattered my ankle broke my jaw, had my entire forehead practically peeled off my face... anyway, it was bad. A couple of years later I started having horrible panick attacks and depression. They said post-traumatic stress and panick attack disorder. I have been on Zoloft for the last 11 years and within the last month I have finally gotten off of it. I was greatly inspired to do so after I joined this forum I have been emotional, unbelievably dizzy, and irritable. On the plus side I find things really funny again, oh and BAM, sex drive is back, lol. It is hell trying to get my brain back to normal, but after about 2.5 weeks off of it I am starting to feel like me again. Don't let them put you on anti-depressants. I though this whole time I was "me". In reality I was totally numb and apathetic. Strangely enough the anxiety hasn't returned, but if it does I will deal with it. The only thing that has helped me with depression has been exercise and sunshine! I would like to hear about some other primal mood boosters too though. I could really use some lately... going through too many changes at once.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how much magnesium you take, but Mg can certainly give you diarrhea.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    I don't know how much magnesium you take, but Mg can certainly give you diarrhea.
    Thanks! I usually use a topical magnesium solution although once in a while I will use the oral stuff. But I don't think that was the cause in my case.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

Quote Originally Posted by Jena View Post
    I know how that feels. I was in a very traumatic car accident 13 years ago, when I was 19. I broke my neck C-1, C-2, and C-3, shattered my ankle broke my jaw, had my entire forehead practically peeled off my face... anyway, it was bad. A couple of years later I started having horrible panick attacks and depression. They said post-traumatic stress and panick attack disorder. I have been on Zoloft for the last 11 years and within the last month I have finally gotten off of it. I was greatly inspired to do so after I joined this forum I have been emotional, unbelievably dizzy, and irritable. On the plus side I find things really funny again, oh and BAM, sex drive is back, lol. It is hell trying to get my brain back to normal, but after about 2.5 weeks off of it I am starting to feel like me again. Don't let them put you on anti-depressants. I though this whole time I was "me". In reality I was totally numb and apathetic. Strangely enough the anxiety hasn't returned, but if it does I will deal with it. The only thing that has helped me with depression has been exercise and sunshine! I would like to hear about some other primal mood boosters too though. I could really use some lately... going through too many changes at once.
    Good grief - that sounds pretty horrible! I think the withdrawal period from anti-depressants can be quite bad for some people. I really don't want to go on them, but man, it is going to take some resolve on my part.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked in to 5-htp, SAM-E, and St. John's Wort. I am so tempted to try them, but I read occasionally that they cause anxiety and I am terrified of the anxiety coming back. Did you get anxiety with any of them?

How long did you take the 5-htp before you felt a difference?
    It works pretty quickly, like in a day or so. I've heard it works almost immediately for some people.

I didn't get any anxiety, but I'm not really prone to that in the first place.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast