Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have any experience with heart disease and Primal? page

Shelli is offline Senior Member

Anyone have any experience with heart disease and Primal?

Primal Fuel
    So has anyone dealt with this, or know relatives who have implemented Primal living with heart disease?
    My father has significant health problems (lifestyle related, but also radiation exposure and Agent Orange exposure), and is about to have a pacemaker put in. I read about Paleobirds' dad's sucess with Primal and told dad that if his cardio agreed, it might be worth a try since he has the neuropathy problem as well. He said his doctor would have six kinds of fits if he wanted to do high fat. (I have to say.....he already has a significant amount of fat in his diet, but not the good kind.) They live in the middle of nowhere in KS, don't eat out much, and cook clean quite a lot...but he eats too much. I'd love to give him some tips and the key that helps him finally lose weight and be healthier. But I know in extreme health cases, it's probably best not to tinker with a doctors' advice.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    My father also has HD (lifestyle and genetics) but is not open to any change. Maybe you could help him figure out the amount of fat he is eating now and show him the benefits of changing it to healthier fats? I can't imagine any Dr being upset over a heart patient going low carb but Drs are weird. At least he will talk to you about it!
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    Also, Dr. William Davis is a cardiologist who wrote "Wheat Belly". Maybe something like that would help convince him? Honestly, if he is eating fat now replacing it w/ healthier fats should not do any harm.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Paleobird Guest
    Yeah, when presenting it to a health professional, don't label it as "high fat". If you say you want to go "low carb", they can get on board with that. Of course we all know that ends up being highER fat but we don't have to put that part in the title.

My best to your Dad. Mine is still doing well. BP of 115/65 unmedicated and he is going to be 87 in a couple of weeks.

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    My husband's cardiologist said "whatever you've been doing differently, keep it up!!". He was very pleased.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Thanks everyone. This is all good advice! I will see what I can do.

To give you a bit more background, seven years ago DH had a heart attack due to plaque in his arteries. For six years nothing really changed. Since going Primal in May 2011 he has not only dropped 40 pounds, his blood pressure is at a healthy low, all his numbers improved but the best part? He was given a nuclear test to see how his heart worked under stress as well as at rest and his arteries were completely normal. No plaque!

Quote Originally Posted by honeybuns View Post
    To give you a bit more background, seven years ago DH had a heart attack due to plaque in his arteries. For six years nothing really changed. Since going Primal in May 2011 he has not only dropped 40 pounds, his blood pressure is at a healthy low, all his numbers improved but the best part? He was given a nuclear test to see how his heart worked under stress as well as at rest and his arteries were completely normal. No plaque!
    That is EXCELLENT!

I did up a fat/protein/carbs ratio for him and decided to present it to him that way. I think when I suggested the idea before, he immediately got the idea that everything he'd be eating would be dripping with fat. I'm going to give him examples of what I'm eating every day and how it's not scary. He always tries Nutrisystem and stuff like that and any weight he loses always finds him again. He's not even 70 yet, still strong as an ox apart from some significant health problems, and I'd like to make things easier for him.

The physicians assistant did ask him how he dropped the weight and my hubby told him that he cut out processed foods, sugars and bread products. No mention of high fat even though that is what we are doing. The PA thought that was great and said how people do not realize how bad grains are for you.
    Another way to present it is eating food like it used to be cooked way back when he was a kid. Might work.

Oh, you might tell him my husband is 66.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You know, in a way this is really the Mediterranean diet the true one. Lots of healthy oils, fresh vegetables, fish, pastured animals.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast