Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I convince Dr. and husband that his cholesterol is okay? Is it okay? page

relaygirl is offline Senior Member

How do I convince Dr. and husband that his cholesterol is okay? Is it okay?

Primal Fuel
    His numbers are

LDL 192
    HDL 76
    TRI 35
    total cholesterol 275

I asked about the particle size and the nurse gave me another LdL # of 1720--she said this is supposed to be less than 1000 but I don't know what it means! Does anyone know what this is? She informed me that the Dr. wanted to move his appointment to get him on statins right away!!!

I have to go into the follow up appointment armed to the teeth with info. My husband just eats what I give him--I am going to have to convince him too!!!

And my husband has lost 75 lbs. He is 6'2" and weighs 200. Had awesome BP at visit.

I went for my bloodwork at same dr. but I don't have the results yet. I am sure mine will be sky high--I eat 60% saturated fat. My husband eats 3 meals and 2 snacks--all primal. I IF daily and eat tons of coconut oil and grassfed butter.

I haven't told my husband yet because I don't want him to freak out on me. I have read Griff's primer--not sure if that is enough to convince them both? Ideas?

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    I like this calculator: Cholesterol HDL/LDL/Triglycerides Ratios Calculator

For your hubby, the results are...

Your Total Cholesterol of 275 is HIGH RISK
    Your LDL of 192 is VERY HIGH RISK
    Your HDL of 76 is OPTIMAL
    Your Triglyceride level of 35 is NORMAL

RATIOS:

Your Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.62 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) GOOD
    Your HDL/LDL ratio is: 0.396 - (preferably over 0.3, ideally over 0.4) GOOD
    Your triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 0.461 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEAL
    Many folks say that cholesterol test results should be taken with a grain of salt; however, his LDL is pretty damn high. I'm sure others will have better advice.
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Using information from Griff's Cholesterol Primer (which you read):

"However, there is a newer equation, called the Iranian Equation, that does a better job of calculating LDL when trigs are below 100. That equation is:
    (Total/1.19) + (Trig/1.9) - (HDL/1.1) -38 = LDL"

So plugging in your husband's numbers:

(275/1.19) + (35/1.9) - (76/1.1) - 38 = ?

231 + 18.5 - 69 - 38 = 142.5

LDL equals 142.5

I don't know about you, but with good ratios, and a borderline LDL - statins are questionable without a clearer understanding from the dr about the size of the LDL. You pay the doctor so get the answers you want.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 09-10-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

jkr
    jkr is offline Senior Member
    Ask the doctor and your husband to show you the research that indicated statins are effective in those without a previous heart attack. They can't.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    Ask the doctor and your husband to show you the research that indicated statins are effective in those without a previous heart attack. They can't.
    ^ and this too.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

relaygirl is offline Senior Member
    On Track your plaque I am reading that the LDL particle number of 1720 is extremely high and overrides all the other indicators.

there is a link on their forum to Jimmy Moore here : Got my NMR LipoProfile Results

there is a posting by "Marc" that really explains the LDL particle number.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    I haven't told my husband yet because I don't want him to freak out on me. I have read Griff's primer--not sure if that is enough to convince them both? Ideas?
    His ratios are what matters (most particularly, his Trig/HDL ratio). He has good ratios.

I would love to have his numbers.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 09-10-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by relaygirl View Post
    His numbers are

LDL 192
    HDL 76
    TRI 35
    total cholesterol 275

I asked about the particle size and the nurse gave me another LdL # of 1720--she said this is supposed to be less than 1000 but I don't know what it means! Does anyone know what this is? She informed me that the Dr. wanted to move his appointment to get him on statins right away!!!

I have to go into the follow up appointment armed to the teeth with info. My husband just eats what I give him--I am going to have to convince him too!!!

And my husband has lost 75 lbs. He is 6'2" and weighs 200. Had awesome BP at visit.

I went for my bloodwork at same dr. but I don't have the results yet. I am sure mine will be sky high--I eat 60% saturated fat. My husband eats 3 meals and 2 snacks--all primal. I IF daily and eat tons of coconut oil and grassfed butter.

Cholesterol levels are irrelevant to the risk of heart disease:

Alt/Trad Medical Review

It is inflammation that leads to the deposition of cholesterol on to arterial walls. Here are various links to medical studies discussing this fact:

MedCapsules Forum - Arteriosclerosis/Atherosclerosis

Statins may help to a small extent by reducing inflammation even though studies have shown that they really do not help. And statins are well known for causing heart failure by reducing CoQ10 levels leading to reduced ATP to the heart muscle:

Elevating ATP for heart health

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    My CW boyfriend is a photographer, so he sometimes gets to sit in on medical lectures that he's covering. This week's was about cholesterol.

It was hilarious because he'd start to tell me something the expert said, and I'd finish the sentence for him. She was absolutely right, and I was thrilled to hear someone in the medical community telling it like it is - total cholesterol is meaningless, ratios are more important, but the biggest predictor of a heart attack is your triglycerides. His are wonderful.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Statins may help to a small extent by reducing inflammation even though studies have shown that they really do not help. And statins are well known for causing heart failure by reducing CoQ10 levels leading to reduced ATP to the heart muscle...
    Not to mention screwing up your brain health and causing peripheral neuropathy because it removes the (needed) cholesterol from everywhere in your body.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast