Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daily requirements help. page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

Question Daily requirements help.

Primal Fuel
    I am wondering how much I need to be eating of each food group in order to maintain my current weight (or loose more fat)

Is there an easy way for Primals/paleo to figure out the amount of daily calories and how many shoud come from fats, protein, carbs (i know we should stay between 100-150) fiber etc, according to your height and weight?

Thanks!
    Loving my primal life

adamm is offline Senior Member
    What are your goals? You say you want to maintain your current weight, well, how long have you been your current weight? Are you slowly losing or gaining weight?

Are you exercising heavilty and maybe need more protein? Are you not exercising alot and maybe need more fat? Carbs aren't evil, but how much you take really does depend on how much you exercise and what kind of exercise you do.

For example, I want to put on mass. So I LHT five times a week, and am eating about 50% protein, 35% fat, and 15% carb (all from vegetables - yes, I like tomatoes). This is not appropriate for someone who isn't looking to add muscle mass. So maybe 50% fat, 35% protein and 15% carbs. If you are an endurance athlete, however, then you'd likely want a larger % of carbs.

So tell us about your needs and what you do

--Adam

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Try this site Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs For your calories.

I would recommend 100g of carbs, 1g of protein per pound of body weight (so if you weigh 150 pounds thats 150 grams) and get the rest of your calories from fats.

Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    What are your goals? You say you want to maintain your current weight, well, how long have you been your current weight? Are you slowly losing or gaining weight?

Are you exercising heavilty and maybe need more protein? Are you not exercising alot and maybe need more fat? Carbs aren't evil, but how much you take really does depend on how much you exercise and what kind of exercise you do.

For example, I want to put on mass. So I LHT five times a week, and am eating about 50% protein, 35% fat, and 15% carb (all from vegetables - yes, I like tomatoes). This is not appropriate for someone who isn't looking to add muscle mass. So maybe 50% fat, 35% protein and 15% carbs. If you are an endurance athlete, however, then you'd likely want a larger % of carbs.

So tell us about your needs and what you do

--Adam
    Thanks! OK, I work out 4-5 times a week (3 training days 1-2 days of spining or other cardio) I am trying to lean out and build muscle, not too much, I am 5'1" small frame woman, but I definitely want defined, toned arms and legs and I want to see my abs at least once in this life time.
    So I am not trying to maintain at this point but I figured I would start there. I weighed myself this morning and I am at 106 lbs. the last time I weighted myself was July 27, was 99lbs , it was PRIOR to my 3 week vacation abroad, as much as a tried to stay primal after a few days well....lets just say that I enjoyed my vacation.

Now, I have posted my weight before and people freaked out and fear that I do not have weight to loose, however, I still have some fat to loose. I am not concerned so much with the number on the scale as I am with the looks of my body. I went primal in october 2011 and had started a good work out routine 5 months prior to that. I know in the past year I have added some bulk to my biceps, for example, but unfortunately you can't see it unless i am holding my breath and mega flexing and that is because of the fat that is still hanging on my upper arms, so please do not judge my needs to lean up based on my weight!! I am a petite girl to start with.

I am very close to my goals and I know it gets harder so I need help with the twicking. the added bulk to my muscles and the fact that some of the fat hasn't 'left the building' is actually making me look thicker!! (freak out!!)
    Loving my primal life

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polos26 View Post
    Thanks! OK, I work out 4-5 times a week (3 training days 1-2 days of spining or other cardio) I am trying to lean out and build muscle, not too much, I am 5'1" small frame woman, but I definitely want defined, toned arms and legs and I want to see my abs at least once in this life time.
    That regimen won't work for that purpose. Chronic cardio:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/

Here's what I think the best story I've yet come across telling why in practice it just doesn't work:

Podcast 14: AHS Takeaways and Keith Norris Interview - Caveman Doctor : Caveman Doctor

I am very close to my goals and I know it gets harder so I need help with the twicking. the added bulk to my muscles and the fact that some of the fat hasn't 'left the building' is actually making me look thicker!! (freak out!!)
    I've a hard time believing you've any fat to lose, but if you have cardio won't help. You'll burn muscle and, beyond a certain point, even hold onto fat.

Drop the workouts to 2 to 3 a week -- and make sure your sleep's good -- and you're following better tactics.

Thanks I will check the podcast tonight. I have not been doing chronic cardio, I hate cardio. I only started the spining last week and I did it just once. I figure I would add another day this week....guess not.

You don't believe me either! believe me, I wish I had no fad to loose but the fat is there, I am not saying I have 20 lbs to loose, it is probably minimal, but that little bit, on my size and frame seems more than it would to someone who is taller and maybe bigger boned.
    Loving my primal life

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    That regimen won't work for that purpose. Chronic cardio:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/chronic-cardio/

Here's what I think the best story I've yet come across telling why in practice it just doesn't work:

Podcast 14: AHS Takeaways and Keith Norris Interview - Caveman Doctor : Caveman Doctor

I've a hard time believing you've any fat to lose, but if you have cardio won't help. You'll burn muscle and, beyond a certain point, even hold onto fat.

Drop the workouts to 2 to 3 a week -- and make sure your sleep's good -- and you're following better tactics.
    Gah. I don't like to get confrontational on message boards. It is like pissing in the wind, but...

There are a lot of folks who read forums (like us) and who parrot knowledge like they are experts themselves. And no offense, Lewis, you sound like one.

I am not an expert on anything, it is true. But bodybuilders have gotten down to below 6% bodyfat by high carb, low-fat diets including lots of cardio. So to say "oh, that won't work, but do this one 2 or 3 times a week..." really?

Now, before I get flamed for spouting conventional wisdom, I am not a fan of chronic (or any) cardio. Nor do I think that a low fat, high carb diet is particularly healthy. But it can work for getting to very low body fat percentages. As can high fat, low carb diets. My point is simply don't spout crap like "that won't work for losing fat".

After flaming Lewis, however, I'm not going to give you advice, as there is plenty around here and some of it, even, if you look really hard, might come from people qualified to give good advice

My advice is simply to take all advice with a grain of salt.

--Me

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Thanks I will check the podcast tonight.
    You're welcome.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    You don't believe me either! believe me, I wish I had no fad to loose but the fat is there, I am not saying I have 20 lbs to loose, it is probably minimal, but that little bit, on my size and frame seems more than it would to someone who is taller and maybe bigger boned.
    I totally see where you're coming from - I also didn't have any "weight to loose" but didn't see much definition anywhere (I was 22% BF at BMI 20) so quite a few months ago I started doing Biosignature (by Charles Poliquin) - the approach is basically strict paleo (primal minus the dairy and high-carb fruit and veg) plus intense lifting plus some supplementation according to your needs. If you are interested in getting serious results, it might be worth looking for a practitioner around where you live. However it is not a must - I probably would have achieved the same results (after 3 months I was under 16% BF plus a tiny muscle gain and happy with the way I looked) with just high discipline anyway.
    If you are interested in my experience: I ate more or less my maintenance calories (I was logging all my food and exercise), rougly 12% carbs (under 10% on a normal day plus unlimited during my cheat meal once in every 5-7 days), 35%-40% protein and rest as fat. I did no cardio except walking about an hour a day and 3-4 heavy lifting sessions a week (3 if full body, 4 if split program). Sprints once a week might help too but I didn't do them as I had hard time recovering from some of more intense lifting workouts. I also made sure I was sleeping well (completely dark room, stress reduction, magnesium supplementation) and reducing exposure to xenoestrogens and other toxins (using no-bpa plastic, drinking only filtered water, eating only organic etc.). I also took some D3, a strong multivitamin, fish oil and a probiotic.
    Good luck with your goals!
    Last edited by inesenite; 09-11-2012 at 07:08 AM.

smashtime is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys, I would also like to ask this question. I work out 5 times a week doing MMA style circuit training, and I have just lost 15lbs, and now want to maintain my weight of 196lbs, but I weighed myself this morning and have gone up by 2.4lbs. Now I know muscle weighs more than fat etc, but I was just wondering why my weight would have gone up despite working out, and adhering to the calorie amounts that I should be eating according to the website that Mark recommends using in the Primal Blueprint to work calorie needs out.

Any help?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast