Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best book on Fermenting foods? page

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member

Best book on Fermenting foods?

Shop Now
    I was looking for a book on fermented foods & found the following...
    Wild Fermentation: The Flavor, Nutrition, and Craft of Live-Culture Foods by Sandor Ellix Katz
    &
    Fermenting Food for Health: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen by Alex Lewin

Anyone read these? any good? which ones best? Or is there another book thats better?
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    I've got the top one. A fair bit of the book is taken up with vegetarian politics and gay politics, and I guess if one wanted that one would have bought a book on that. To me it was irrelevant digression. (I'm not sure the anecdotes about people with twee and rather self-conscious names add a lot either.) There's a fair bit on the politics of food, too -- which is kind of relevant, but one would probably want to go to a more knowledgable source like Joel Salatin for that. The recipes and directions are competent enough. He got a big gun in for the foreword, too -- the godmother of the ancestral food movement, Sally Fallon.

Yeah, it's OK. It's more a set of musings around the notion of fermented foods with some directions thrown in than a straightforward how-to. I guess there's good precedent for that in the food world. I suppose people don't read Elizabeth David for the recipes. But then this man isn't Elizabeth David. I enjoyed it, but you might want to be aware that it's rather discursive in case that's not what you're looking for.

I don't know the other book. You can probably find quite a lot of information online, if you're not sure you want to spend the money.

Very helpful.
    Yeah, If I wanna read on vegi politics & what not.. ill buy a book on it.. I want something that will just straightforward tell me how to do the fermenting for difrent things etc.. Id like a book cause that means I can put it right where im working to refer from...
    withought having to keep switching it on (ipad hates me)
    Plus theres just something about a book that beats reading online.. probably the knowlage that if I fry another computer. im not going to loose all that info (am on computer #5 in the last 10 years for the record)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I don't know either of those books well enough to comment on them. In our house THE fermenting book is 'Nourishing Traditions'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    I don't know either of those books well enough to comment on them. In our house THE fermenting book is 'Nourishing Traditions'.
    I saw that one but it looked like it was more general info/recipes with only a small section on fermenting foods

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Is there anything specific you're looking for in a fermentation book?

I have Wild Fermentation, and I think it's really good if you're looking for some new ideas, he covers a lot of different fermentaton ideas from around the world, lots of stuff I never heard of before, so I think it's especially good if you're looking to experiment, and are tired of basic lacto-fermentation type stuff.

And while I totally understand the preference for books over internet resources, if you're really just looking for some basic lacto-fermentation directions, then a site like this, in my opinion, is more helpful:

Fermented Food Recipes | Paleo Diet Lifestyle

I'm looking for something that give a wide range of fermented food/drinks and straightforward info on how to do it without using technical jargon you need to be a rocket scientist to make sense of.

I think im leaning towards this one (amazon pre-veiw is really helpful when they actually put more than 3 pages on )
    Fermenting Food for Health: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen: Amazon.co.uk: Alex Lewin: Books

Plus they talk about making mead ... I love mead (commercial stuff just isent that good though)

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i've got wild fermentation and i like it. i didnt even really notice the vege and gay politics. i find other povs interesting anyways. the recipes are good and he is creative. can you borrow a copy out the library to check out how useful you find it?

The library here is useless, its tiny & dosent have squat unless you wanna read "Twilight..my boyfreinds a psycotic pasty gett".

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    2 funny. as i said before, i havent read the second book or even seen a copy but i did like wild fermentation. it does have mead recipes in too. i made some of the ethopian honey wine or whatever it was which was literally just 25% honey and 75% water and leave to ferment. from memory i put ginger in mine and it was super yummy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast