Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best book on Fermenting foods? page 2

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Very helpful.
    Yeah, If I wanna read on vegi politics & what not.. ill buy a book on it.. I want something that will just straightforward tell me how to do the fermenting for difrent things etc.. Id like a book cause that means I can put it right where im working to refer from...
    withought having to keep switching it on (ipad hates me)
    Plus theres just something about a book that beats reading online.. probably the knowlage that if I fry another computer. im not going to loose all that info (am on computer #5 in the last 10 years for the record)
    I have the book and agree with this poster's comments. While its not a bad book to have, I would look elsewhere for the "best" book you are searching for. And this is coming from a fermenting fiend............
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I've got the top one. A fair bit of the book is taken up with vegetarian politics and gay politics, and I guess if one wanted that one would have bought a book on that. To me it was irrelevant digression. (I'm not sure the anecdotes about people with twee and rather self-conscious names add a lot either.) There's a fair bit on the politics of food, too -- which is kind of relevant, but one would probably want to go to a more knowledgable source like Joel Salatin for that. The recipes and directions are competent enough. He got a big gun in for the foreword, too -- the godmother of the ancestral food movement, Sally Fallon.

Yeah, it's OK. It's more a set of musings around the notion of fermented foods with some directions thrown in than a straightforward how-to. I guess there's good precedent for that in the food world. I suppose people don't read Elizabeth David for the recipes. But then this man isn't Elizabeth David. I enjoyed it, but you might want to be aware that it's rather discursive in case that's not what you're looking for.

I don't know the other book. You can probably find quite a lot of information online, if you're not sure you want to spend the money.
    I have the book and agree with this poster's comments. While its not a bad book to have, I would look elsewhere for the "best" book you are searching for. And this is coming from a fermenting fiend............
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12