Thread: High fat diet undermines sleep page

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member

High fat diet undermines sleep

Primal Fuel
    Or so the sensational headline goes. Dr. Michael J. Breus: A High-Fat Diet Undermines Sleep

I found what I think is the research paper but I suck at analyzing this kind of data. What I did root out was that they only give you the macronutrient breakdown, and not the actual make up of what was being fed. Crisco and white flour anyone? Anyhow, may well be a case for Mark or Denise Minger.

Chronic administration of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus reverses obesity induced by high-fat diet

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    in animals on standard laboratory chow.
    There's a warning sign right there. First off, it's not real food. Second, it's animals not people.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Look at the macro-nutirent levels though. Chronic administration of brain-derived neurotrophic factor in the hypothalamic paraventricular nucleus reverses obesity induced by high-fat diet
    The high fat diet is a very SAD looking high fat diet.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    The whole thing just seems so mind-numbingly futile to me.

The columnist at the Huffington Post starts off with:

researchers put rats on a fatty-food diet for eight weeks. The rats, no surprise, gained weight.
    Why is that not surprising? Is there any reason to believe this is what we usually find in humans, and where's the evidence of that?

From there we seem to pass to a claim that eating a high-fat diet will interfere with sleep -- and the ultimate "proof" of that is a rat study carried out by one C. F. Wang and colleagues.

Maybe the columnist could have rung Jimmy Moore and asked him whether he's sleeping, as he's now on an 85% fat diet. That'd be a sample of one, but at least he's not ten inches long and covered with fur.

There's an old experiment where they induced atherosclerosis in a rabbit by feeding it on pretty much pure fat. But, really, what's the relevance of that? When do you ever see a rabbit in the wild dining off adipose tissue?

I guess Peter at Hyperlipid would probably find something of interest in the study, and, being a qualified vet, would have the professional training and experience to notice what might well amount to a host of dubious assumptions and methodological errors. He's also able to consider these things from the viewpoint of knowing what helps sick animals he has to deal with. These people's only expertise seems to be in making animals sick. I even wonder about the ethics of it by now. I'm not turning vegetarian or anything. I shouldn't mind if Mr. Wang were eating the rats. However, shutting them up and feeding them on diets that you know will make them sick seems a little ... well, cold-blooded. Do we need yet another experiment of this sort to add to the interminable number of them already in existence?

And at the end of the day, if what's suitable for a rat to eat were also adequate for us, we'd still be swinging in the trees.