Thread: Bone Broth failure? page

Catrin is offline Senior Member

Question Bone Broth failure?

Primal Fuel
    I am unsure if it really is a "failure" but from what I've read about bone broth it might be. I've not made it before.

I had 4 pounds of soup bones from my grass-fed farmer guy, and of course there was a good amount of meat on them. I cooked them on the crockpot until the meat was done, then I stripped the meat, ate the marrow (yummmm!), added unfiltered apple cider vinegar to the broth and put the 4 bones back in for 24 hours on low.

After taking the bones out and straining the broth, it went into the fridge overnight. There wasn't any gelatin at all - but perhaps it was only because there was just 4 bones? The broth is quite fatty & savory, it is certainly getting used. Shouldn't there be at least a little gelatin, or is my assumption wrong?

Thanks in advance!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    How high was the cooking temp? I've had broth that didn't gel when I let the temperature get too high for too long. If I keep it at a reallly gentle simmer, it gels nicely when cooled. I think the gelatin denatures or something. I believe it's still just a good for you though.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    How high was the cooking temp? I've had broth that didn't gel when I let the temperature get too high for too long. If I keep it at a reallly gentle simmer, it gels nicely when cooled. I think the gelatin denatures or something. I believe it's still just a good for you though.
    I had it on "low", but it was still bubbling away. There is a "warm" setting on my crockpot but I was afraid that would be too low. I think I will experiment with the warm setting though, put some water in there and see if it ever actually simmers.

I know when I tried chicken bone broth last week the entire batch became pure gel in the fridge- but I had to toss it out because my power went out for 6 hours during the cooking process. Figured multiple bacteria tribes had set up camp in that period of time...I still refrigerated it to see if it would gel before disposal.

DoraV is offline Member
    Did you make sure to add some knuckle bones in there? I think those are the ones that have the most gelatin in them. I've made it 3 times in the crock pot on low, and the only time it didn't gel was when I didn't include knuckle bones, I used marrow bones instead.

Quote Originally Posted by DoraV View Post
    Did you make sure to add some knuckle bones in there? I think those are the ones that have the most gelatin in them. I've made it 3 times in the crock pot on low, and the only time it didn't gel was when I didn't include knuckle bones, I used marrow bones instead.
    I just had the soup bones, so that makes sense. When I tried the chicken bone broth I had the entire carcass - less head and feet.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    From what I've heard, the chicken feet are where it's at for making good chicken stock. Haven't tried it myself. The last batch of beef stock I made had a nice huge knuckle bone in addition to neck bones and it gelled wonderfully. The only time I have done better is when I boiled some oxtails. That stuff was like rubber when it cooled, hah.