Thread: Restless sleep page

obsessed is offline Member

Restless sleep

Primal Fuel
    The first few weeks of primal living zonked out. It was easy to go to sleep. Lately it has not been. I toss and turn and toss and turn. Any ideas on what I need or what nutrient I am missing....Its more than just the restless legs... just restlessness. And before I go to bed I could be fallin asleep on the couch...
    Ok thanks

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes when I eat a lot of coconut oil, I'm restless. It's because the fatty acids in it are used for energy so you're body wants to burn it off before bed (is my hypothesis).

Try supplementing with melatonin (3mg) or l-tryptophan (1,500 mg) before bed.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Magnesium seems to help some people.

But there are a lot of things you can try besides the supplemental approach, such as preparing yourself by turning off electrical gadget well in advance, taking a walk as the sun goes down to get the red light on your skin, and so forth. Robb Wolf has a short piece on his site on sleep that has some good advice in, IIRC.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Could be nearly anything - laptop or iPhone lights in your eyes less than an hour before sleep, an "upper" supplement, caffeine after noon, too much light in the room... pretty much anything.

If you've tired eliminating all of that and you're still not falling asleep, I second a little magnesium before bedtime.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Lately, when I have trouble falling asleep because I'm anxiously thinking about a thousand things that aren't really important, I listen to this meditation podcast. It has binaural beat tones in the audio that supposedly affects the brain waves, inducing a deep state of relaxation, and a brain pattern similar to REM sleep.

It's free to download on iTunes (which I find is better than streaming), and I usually fall asleep before it's over...

I go with #14: Rejuvenating Sleep but some of the other episodes seem interesting.

The Meditation Podcast - Episode Fourteen - Rejuvenating Sleep - Nov '11

imnes is offline Member
    I've gotten into the habit of reading for an hour when I go to bed, does the trick for me. Lately I got an account on Audible and downloaded a few audio books. That actually seems to work better, cut off all the lights and listen to an hour of the story, really seems to help me fall asleep. Otherwise I could lay there for hours with my mind racing.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Hypoglycemic insomnia? Characterised by tossing and turning throughout the night, or waking in the middle of the night with a desperate need to eat or drink.

I've been plagued with insomnia for years, and it's always worse when I'm eating healthy. I have a tendency towards hypoglycemia and without the refined sugar in my diet my blood sugar dips too low, and the insomnia flares up. Sad but true!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    I know some people who have problems sleeping when they go too low of carb. I would also recommend the magnesium suggestion, especially if you are active.

dubblernr is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Hypoglycemic insomnia? Characterised by tossing and turning throughout the night, or waking in the middle of the night with a desperate need to eat or drink.

I've been plagued with insomnia for years, and it's always worse when I'm eating healthy. I have a tendency towards hypoglycemia and without the refined sugar in my diet my blood sugar dips too low, and the insomnia flares up. Sad but true!
    I have the same problem. Any solution?

God
    God is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dubblernr View Post
    I have the same problem. Any solution?
    Eat some doritos before bed.