Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you more sensitive to certain things now? page

gopintos is offline Senior Member

Are you more sensitive to certain things now?

Primal Fuel
    I dabble with fragrance oils once in awhile, but it has been quite some time. I did about a month ago and noticed later how it really started to get to me. I thought my imagination.

However today, it did it again. Headache, stuffy nose, stuffy head, itchy nose, sneezing, scratchy throat. Feels like full blown allergies.

Might be a co-inky dink and would have happened anyways, but I am wondering if maybe since I have been ridding my body of toxins and whatever, that I am extra sensitive to the fragrance oils? Not essential oils but man-made oils. If this is the case, it makes me sad but also helps me in a way, to know that this is not something I should be doing.

Any thoughts or experiences? THanks!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I also just had a thought, that maybe I have had these sensitivities all along, it was just masked by what I thought were other allergies.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I also just had a thought, that maybe I have had these sensitivities all along, it was just masked by what I thought were other allergies.
    ^^^this.

i have long been sensitive to commercial perfumes, because the alcohols in them carries the fragrance esters far and wide and i kachoo-kachoo. now, i sometimes have to walk away from people because whatever they are wearing is making me choke and gag. i can't even walk into one of those body & bath stores.

i have zero issues with essential and natural oils.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've always been very sensitive so I don't notice a lot of difference.

By the way, since I stopped eating eggs for breakfast I can actually ride my bicycle to work breathing through my nose the entire time. Not bad for someone with a somewhat adenoidal face.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Paleobird Guest
    I can't even walk down the soap aisle in the supermarket without holding my breath. All those fake fragrances make my throat feel like it is closing up and choking me.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Fragrances not so much (then again, I live in the oilfield.) I am much more sensitive to a known allergen (cottonseed oil) as well as sugar. My husband jokes that I make up for my inability to taste bitter in most cases with an overwhelming sensitivity to sweet.
    As for the fragrance area of stores, well, there's a reason my sisters and I called it the "stinky section." I'm not sensitive to it, but it's always been strong enough to set my coughing like I walked through a cloud of cigarette smoke. (Actually, reading back through that, I may have that sensitivity. Huh.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    make my throat feel like it is closing up and choking me.
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    enough to set my coughing like I walked through a cloud of cigarette smoke.
    I had that same sensation after I posted. I thought oh great, I won't be able to breathe and now I am gonna die. uggh pissed me off :P Going outside helped to clear my head. At least now I know it is not my imagination.

I'm a lot more sensitive to hot foods now. I used to be able to eat jalapenos from the jar, now they're almost unbearable.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I started being more sensitive to both environmental ickiness like mold and pollen, and crap like fragrances almost three years ago when I first began restricting wheat. I don't know if it's the restriction, or gaining weight and general unfitness that's triggered asthma. I can't do the laundry products aisle at the store either, and there's a lot of people here in AU who slather on that nasty body spray too. Got so bad before I was put on a daily med that I could hardly go to the local grocery without having an asthma attack. I really wish people would be more sensitive to others' noses and lungs. What really hacks me off is the people who 'test' the body sprays at the grocery store. That ought to be outright outlawed. At least in a department store I can steer clear of the perfume section.
    And airports kill me. There's something about arriving back to Sydney airport that triggers an attack every time. Medicated or not.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I'm more sensitive to stupidity.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast