Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anorexia recovery and weight gain help page 2

eatingtolove is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post

I excercise 4 or 5 times a week, 2 or 3 times lifting heavy weights. You don't need to do this yet, you're not strong enough, but when you feel ready it feels great and gets your body moving and energetic. You could do some slow walks for a while until you get some strength back. Swimming might feel nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post

EDIT: Oh and, I'll add that I did not workout.
    I tried to, and gained a bit of muscle mass, but it was the trigger of my big "hormonal crash" that led me to discover this pubertal weakness.
    But from the "Early months" to the "Today" pics, I did not do ANY physical activity apart from a little bit of walking here and there (for the meditative aspects of it), because my body was too weak and I did not want to screw my puberty once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexy View Post

Some gentle work with light weights and your major muscles groups would be a good first step, but only if you feel up to it on the day. The fitness section of this forum is full of knowledge and a good place to start. Otherwise, if you join a gym with personal trainers ask for a 30 minute programme to help you build up strength and muscle. Avoid chronic cardio, I personally hate it and haven't done any since I read the PB last year. Lots of walking is good for your body and your head.
    Interestingly, I'm still pretty strong despite my BMI (15 does sound appallingly low). I exercise somewhat regularly, but I avoid actually working out (ie. miles on a treadmill or fixed reps). I just lift heavy things whenever I feel like it and do some squats, etc. I'm worried about the exercise because I've read quite a bit about how the body won't build 'non-essential' muscle unless I hit over 2000 calories or something, so I was afraid exercise would just impede my progress and make me catabolic. ):

I consider myself pretty fit and muscular (in the defined sense) for my age--at least I was before the ED! Now, I do find myself struggling with endurance type exercise (like jogging) and my legs feel weaker. ): Hopefully it'll improve as I up my intake!

I think I'll stick with what I'm doing now: some resistance exercise and long walks. (:

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina422 View Post
    I think rather than looking at it as gaining weight, primal/paleo is going to correct your weight. That's one of the great things about this way of eating. It's exactly what your body needs, so if you are an unhealthy weight in either direction this is they way to correct it.
    As far as recipes go, my favorite website for that is chowstalker. You can type in the search box for whatever type of recipe you'd like and find tons of them. You'll then be linked to the original author of the recipe who usually has even more awesome ones on their page!

So glad to hear you are getting healthy!
    I certainly hope so! (: Primal sounds like a fantastic way to go, I was just slightly concerned that I won't be able to gain as easily, since it seemed like so many people use it to lose weight! Thank you all for the encouragement. Scrolling through chowstalker is making me salivate mmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    I suffered from ALL the symptoms of anorexia, from the peripheral edema to the wasting of most of my muscle mass, abdominal bloating, face swelling, add to that all the symptoms of my hypogonadism, loss of body hair, "de-sexualization" of my whole appearance, enormous fatigue...

I was, very late, put on a TRT (testosterone replacement therapy) which is still far from optimal but I hope it'll soon be.
    But it wasn't sufficient in order to recover completely, I had to take the steps to be free of my ritualistic behaviors and to regain weight.
    Paleo was ALL I needed for that.
    Of course, at the beginning, I had severe binges. But they were helpful in many different things: First, if you binge, it's because your body needs the nutrients, especially with Paleo food, and when you binge, you can put things into perspective, realize what you've been inflicting to your own body and the lack of respect you had towards it.
    You'll more than surely go through moments where you will feel desperate because of the messed up homeostasis, the bloating, the swelling of the face, and the strange way you will think that you gain weight, because you lack muscle mass, in the abdomen area, so the skin will tend to "hang" a bit, and you will retain much water.

But in the long run, if you stick to a good Paleo eating with everything in check, O6:O3 ratio and everything, you'll be good.
    For the weight distribution, you'll be the judge:

Most severe state: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...0101024-15.jpg
    Early months of TRT: http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/...20120601-8.jpg
    Today: http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...17910685_o.jpg (face is a bit "balloon-ish" because I have some hormonal things to "change" concerning my estradiol levels, but nothing too serious, it's not fat btw)
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...51047896_o.jpg

I strongly encourage you to fight this condition, you and your body deserve much much better !
    Consider it as your temple.

EDIT: Oh and, I'll add that I did not workout.
    I tried to, and gained a bit of muscle mass, but it was the trigger of my big "hormonal crash" that led me to discover this pubertal weakness.
    But from the "Early months" to the "Today" pics, I did not do ANY physical activity apart from a little bit of walking here and there (for the meditative aspects of it), because my body was too weak and I did not want to screw my puberty once again.
    Gosh, your recovery looks good! It must have been tough, having anorexia thrown on you with such a medical problem. ): Personally, it started with undereating, then the mental aspects of it started creeping in. It's kind of scary, because I never really considered how 'natural' the psychological damage creeps in! I'm hoping that I'm pulling out early enough before anything serious happens.

Physical symptoms I have experienced are hair loss, dry skin, cold, fatigue/light-headedness (when I restrict), probably muscle loss and heart palpitation. I can sometimes feel my heartbeat through my chest when I fast long enough.

When I started eating more, I got pitted edema in my ankles and feet! I was pretty afraid, but it's mostly gone now. Hopefully it's a sign of improving heart health?

Thanks for the advice, and congrats on your success!

Hi guys!

If anyone is still watching out for this thread, I still have a bit of queries.

1) How many calories should I be eating? Should I purposely count, or just rely on intuitive eating? The forums on some websites all seem to recommend that a minimum of 2500 per day is necessary, but I'm not so sure. Their meal plans are typically filled with a lot of carbs.

2) Which brings me to my next point. How much carbs should I be eating? I eat mostly veggies now, with some sweet potatoes and rice thrown in (relatively little though). I know macronutrient ratio should be the least of my concern, but I have heard that our muscles need glycogen and water to rebuild. Should I go higher carb now to gain weight? I love protein though, and fatty fish, I could (and have) binged on them while upping my intake!

3) A sample meal plan would be helpful, perhaps? I think I'll start another thread for that though! (:

I feel really much better after reading your replies and encouragement, screw this ED, a la caveman-style!

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eatingtolove View Post
    Hi guys!

If anyone is still watching out for this thread, I still have a bit of queries.

1) How many calories should I be eating? Should I purposely count, or just rely on intuitive eating? The forums on some websites all seem to recommend that a minimum of 2500 per day is necessary, but I'm not so sure. Their meal plans are typically filled with a lot of carbs.

2) Which brings me to my next point. How much carbs should I be eating? I eat mostly veggies now, with some sweet potatoes and rice thrown in (relatively little though). I know macronutrient ratio should be the least of my concern, but I have heard that our muscles need glycogen and water to rebuild. Should I go higher carb now to gain weight? I love protein though, and fatty fish, I could (and have) binged on them while upping my intake!

3) A sample meal plan would be helpful, perhaps? I think I'll start another thread for that though! (:

I feel really much better after reading your replies and encouragement, screw this ED, a la caveman-style!
    That really depends on your height and current weight. At 5.10 and 130lbs I was probably eating 1300-1500 daily on CW diet. Now I eat 1700 - 2300 daily, hormone and acitivity depdendent. I think a medical professionalty might be best to advise you on calories and weight gain, but unless you have a paleo dr or dietician they're going to suggest the whole grain approach.

Have a look at my thread when I was recovering a few months ago. It could be a little triggering, but the meals I ate were good ones.

I tend to eat 2/3/4/5 eggs in the morning, sometimes fried in butter, sometimes in an omlette with some cheese. I have a tea with milk and a coffee with heavy cream. For lunch I usually have a salad with whatever is in the fridge (a pretty big one, quantity is important to me as I have an inherant fear of not getting enough) with bacon/tin of tuna in olive oil/3 or 4 slices of bacon/ leftover meat. Sometimes I have Greek yoghurt as well. For dinner I have meat/fish with lots of vegetables and sometimes with sweet potato. If I think I'll still be hungry I melt butter on my vegetables. My portions sizes are pretty huge I think, but I don't snack as it triggers relapse.

Carbs will help you gain weight, but keep them good, like sweet potato, bananas and white rice. People do of course lose weight eating primally, but if you eat enough fat you will gain. Enjoy the liberty, it's quite an amazing experience to feed yourself again after starvation.

Can you post what you ate in the last couple of days?

Yesterday, for example:

Breakfast 9am: stir-fried vegetables, stir -fried tofu with dory fish, 1 hard-boiled egg
    Lunch 2pm: crockpot radish and beef, seared salmon, stir-fried eggplant
    Afternoon: cup of soy milk (I'm not tolerating dairy well yet), handful of almonds
    Dinner: leftovers from lunch, bone broth with vegetables, prawns and tofu, spoonful of rice (which i had to force myself to eat D

I don't count calories, but I definitely ate quite a lot, especially during dinner. I swear, my entire upper stomach was bloated from all the beef I ate. Delicious.

I'm orthorexic, really. I 'm perfectly fine if I surround myself with tasty protein all day, with some fat thrown in. I just really can't stand the thought of carbs, with the exception of veggies and tubers (minus white potatoes ).

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    ditch the tofu/soy. eat more fatty meats/fish. add more butter. add more sweet potatoes.

you need dense sources of nutrition. your trying to come off of eating nothing. don't worry about calories, eat, and until you are full.

golangrok is offline Senior Member
    Personally I did gain weight but I wasn't Primal at first. I was trying to restrict carbs but binged regularly (without purging). I gained about 15 pounds this summer after stopping.

sunsis is offline Member
    looking at your percentages i think primal fits more 60% fat, 25% protein and 15% carb at least this is how i feel my best and most energetic.

about the weight gain and people using this as weight loss. this isnt supposed to be a "diet" to lose weight. it is supposed to be for getting healthy so it will (or should) work for going either direction in regards to body mass.

add some butter and coconut oils in there should help you up that fat ratio easily.
    im hesitant to say this considering your recovery but it can help (it did help me but im in a completely different place to you) to briefly use something like fitday or myfitnesspal to check your ratios and caloric intake to be sure that you are sitting about right with those.

best of luck to everyone

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How much should I be eating though? I see some websites recommending 2500 kcals, which is pretty ridiculously high imo. Should I just eat 3 meals to satiety? Plus snacking in-between when I get hungry.

Is there a difference, really? Gaining weight from being underweight without ED and with? I was restricting to about 700 kcals everyday, I suppose that would have affected my metabolism?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast