Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TVP - would you eat this? page

Ibz777ibz is offline Junior Member

TVP - would you eat this?

Shop Now
    Hey guys and girls

long story short is we are going camping with some friends next week, my girlfriend is a vegetarian that eats fish, and the friends we are going with are clueless about nutrition, and we each have to cook 2 meals each during the 10 days. Breakfast I plan on some no-grain museli and coconut cream and my two dinners will be high O-3 fish dishes. The rest seems like I will play it by ear but possibly a whole lot of trail mix and IF'ing.

Girlfriend shocked me with this unearthly creation for her meal plan....
    Textured vegetable protein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

comments...suggestions....

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Looks like some nasty shit to me, don't think I'd be in a hurry to try it.

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    I tried it once when I was vegan. I stuck to tofu after that. TVP is the single most horrible form of protein I have ever encountered. It doesn't just have no flavour, it is a black hole for flavour.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibz777ibz View Post

comments...suggestions....
    Runnnn.. Run far far away.. or IF or take some beef jerky... That stuff is pure nastiness
    Of course im saying this from the POV of someone whos first experience with soy tvp involved extended emergency use of the bathroom facility's about 10 minutes after ingestion of some snack dip that I later found out was made from tvp

Using the toilet & sink simultaneously... Nooot fun...
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I tried it when I first began my journey, thinking I was doing the right thing. What I fixed was actually quite good. It has no flavor on it's own (or much) so it absorbs and takes on whatever flavor you give it. Tacos, sloppy joes, etc. I usually mixed it half and half with ground beef. I bought some TVP Italian Sausages that were really good also. If I didnt know what it was, I wouldnt have known otherwise.

So, I bought a big bag of TVP. Then I found Primal and havent touched it since.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Well, I used to use it -I'm an eastern Orthodox Christian, and there are occasions when we fast from meat. I don't cook with it any more because I've decided soy isn't good for us, but if, on a Lenten day, a friend serves it to me, I'll eat it. I figure one or two meals aren't going to hurt me, and - if you can get past the idea of TVP being soy - it isn't a bad hamburger substitute. Most of the time my friends use it in either spaghetti, chili, or tacos.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat this stuff a lot, back in my early vegan days. It's pretty horrible. Even while I was still a vegan I figured out that the stuff is pretty bad for you and avoided it like the plague. It's packed with soy protein isolates, ick.

That said, it's obvious that plenty of vegetarians and vegans find the stuff to be a godsend. So your girlfriend probably is trying to make a dish that she feels will come close to replicating meat.

My advice is to steer clear of it though.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    I'd have to be REALLY hungry to eat that. Like if I'd spent several days lost at sea/in the woods unable to hunt/trap/fish some type of human food. The thought of it makes me cringe.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    it's a by-product of nasty seed oil manufacture. i never touched the stuff even as a vegetarian. yuk.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Highly processed, usually a soy by-product; shite, in my opinion. Better off eating bugs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast