Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sugar Destroyer - has anyone tried this? page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Does mascarpone cheese increase insulin sensitivity? Does it help with regeneration islet cells? And since I doubt your diet will be strictly mascarpone cheese does it block the sugars from the rest of your diet?
    That particular cheese was just an example of a tasty treat option that could be had instead of sweet treat plus potion to make sweet treat taste bad.

I eat a ketogenic diet so I don't ingest sugar other than the minimal traces found in veggies. And yes that is very good for insulin sensitivity, islet cell regeneration, as well as keeping my epilepsy in check.

This miracle sugar blocker potion reminds me of the Alli "fat blocker" pills (that had some unfortunate side effects).

pebblehead is offline Member
    Some of the replies seem a bit harsh. If you're very overweight or have other health issues, plenty about you is broken. Temporarily using a crutch to get through the worst of it doesn't seem so bad, if that crutch helps you eliminate sugar. To me, sugar has always seemed kind of drug-like in its appeal. I know that probably sounds ridiculous to anyone who has never had such an addiction, but I'm sure the feelings are real to the person who reacts that way. My suspicion is that YogaBare has probably tried "willpower" before with no luck.

Unfortunately, during a low blood sugar event -- which always felt to me like a deep depression -- a burst of sugar DOES make you feel better. Physically, emotionally, and quickly. That's a powerful association to break, that the taste of sugar is almost immediately followed by relief. It takes several hours before you pay for the sugar by feeling crappy again, and perhaps many years before diabetes and other diseases set in, so the negatives just don't seem to stick as well as the immediate good feelings.

YogaBare, it took me right around two weeks of relatively low carb eating before I noticed a dramatic change in my hypoglycemia: for me it was sudden and dramatic, like someone turning on the lights. And that was back in the days when low fat was all the rage, so I didn't have other wonderful things like bacon to exercise the pleasure centers of the brain. Good luck!

Paleobird Guest
    Exactly, pebblehead, sustained low carb eating addresses the problem of hypoglycemia. A sugar taste modifier that allows you to continue to eat sugary foods just prolongs the problem.

I'm not cracking the whip and telling yoga bear to have willpower. What I'm saying is that cutting out the sugars completely is really the easiest way to permanently extract a sweet tooth.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    That particular cheese was just an example of a tasty treat option that could be had instead of sweet treat plus potion to make sweet treat taste bad.

I eat a ketogenic diet so I don't ingest sugar other than the minimal traces found in veggies. And yes that is very good for insulin sensitivity, islet cell regeneration, as well as keeping my epilepsy in check.
    Any research to back this up? Seems to me that if ketosis increased insulin sensitivity and regenerated islet cells then type 1 diabetics in particular could simply stop taking insulin to go in to ketosis to cure themselves. Instead they tend to die from this if not treated.

This miracle sugar blocker potion reminds me of the Alli "fat blocker" pills (that had some unfortunate side effects).
    Pharmaceutical drugs like Alli will have some serious side effects. But herbs have a much better safety record than pharmaceutical drugs, which is why I prefer them.

Quote Originally Posted by pebblehead View Post
    Some of the replies seem a bit harsh. If you're very overweight or have other health issues, plenty about you is broken. Temporarily using a crutch to get through the worst of it doesn't seem so bad, if that crutch helps you eliminate sugar.
    I wonder how many of these people claiming it is a crutch use drugs when they have pain or a cold as a crutch instead of letting these things run their course.

To me, sugar has always seemed kind of drug-like in its appeal. I know that probably sounds ridiculous to anyone who has never had such an addiction, but I'm sure the feelings are real to the person who reacts that way. My suspicion is that YogaBare has probably tried "willpower" before with no luck.

Unfortunately, during a low blood sugar event -- which always felt to me like a deep depression -- a burst of sugar DOES make you feel better. Physically, emotionally, and quickly. That's a powerful association to break, that the taste of sugar is almost immediately followed by relief. It takes several hours before you pay for the sugar by feeling crappy again, and perhaps many years before diabetes and other diseases set in, so the negatives just don't seem to stick as well as the immediate good feelings.
    Sugar can act like a drug. carbohydrates in the absence of protein or with low enough protein will stimulate a release of serotonin which helps us feel better as long as we do not get excessive levels. This is also why depressive eaters tend to go for the carbs.

Exactly, pebblehead, sustained low carb eating addresses the problem of hypoglycemia.
    That is just masking the problem. Again, there are different forms of hypoglycemia to begin with. And low carb eating only masks these but does not correct the problem.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    YogaBare, it took me right around two weeks of relatively low carb eating before I noticed a dramatic change in my hypoglycemia: for me it was sudden and dramatic, like someone turning on the lights. And that was back in the days when low fat was all the rage, so I didn't have other wonderful things like bacon to exercise the pleasure centers of the brain. Good luck!
    Thanks Pebbles. Unfortunately, I've had periods where I've been "off" sugar for up to 6 months, but the cravings always come back eventually. I've concluded that it's something more than a simple addiction. A physical addiction takes max 3 months to break. In the past I thought it was emotional, but the cravings come at any given time, whether I'm feeling content or sad. I've started to research it seriously, and I am realising there is a whole biochemistry probably going on that is not popularly documented. There are actually drugs that can "cure" people with bulimia, binge eating disorder and anorexia. How is this possible if the problem was just down to addiction or psychology?

Exactly, pebblehead, sustained low carb eating addresses the problem of hypoglycemia. A sugar taste modifier that allows you to continue to eat sugary foods just prolongs the problem.

I'm not cracking the whip and telling yoga bear to have willpower. What I'm saying is that cutting out the sugars completely is really the easiest way to permanently extract a sweet tooth.
    See answer above. I do appreciate that the Primal diet is a miracle for so many people, but I've experimented with it for about 6 months now, and it's effecting me differently to the people with success stories. Very low carb makes me very depressed, and exasperates a sleep disorder I have. I'm experimenting with adding back in more carbs (not wheat or refined sugars though) to see which ones agree with me.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Cheese has very little in the way of sugars and is not very hyperglycemic. So I would say the problem is most likely from an allergy to the cheese. May sound unrelated but allergic reactions do increase epinephrine output, which in turn can cause an increase of blood sugar leading to rebound hypoglycemia.

Yes, I totally agree. And many people do not realize how many different foods contain sugars or starches. For example, how many people are aware of the glucose content of beef?
    Thanks again James. I actually thought I read somewhere that the lactose in dairy made it high on the glycemic index list, but can't find the same info now.

I didn't know that about beef, but it makes sense because I always get huge sugar cravings after eating it!

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Thanks again James. I actually thought I read somewhere that the lactose in dairy made it high on the glycemic index list, but can't find the same info now.

I didn't know that about beef, but it makes sense because I always get huge sugar cravings after eating it!
    Most lactose is metabolized by the intestinal flora in to lactic acid.

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    I have been taking Gymenia (sp) as part of my blood sugar fix for the last 16 days, and it has done nothing to stop sweet cravings or made my tongue not taste sweets. Bunch of bull hickey if you ask me. It has helped with my blood sugar readings.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast