Thread: Spanish mackerel? page

Shelli is offline Senior Member

Spanish mackerel?

Shop Now
    So I want to eat more fish, just because I like it. I'm not familiar with a lot of the different types available here in Australia, though. Today daughter and I had a good prowl around the huge fish market at the local shopping center, and I spied "spanish mackerel". Much larger than regular mackerel, couldn't see if the skin is marked like mackerel (fish was cut like steaks - if that's the term - across the width of the fish through the backbone), and the flesh looked more pinkish like salmon. Anyone here in AU tried spanish mackerel? What's it like?

peril is offline Senior Member
    Delicious. It is a large fish up to about 40kg. Very nice flesh if it is fresh. Not much like blue mackerel, aka slimy mackerel, at all
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    not in Au but love spanish mackerel. chef friend of mine gave me a recipe for mackerel with a red wine- plum sauce topped with toasted pecans

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    Yes! Yay! I will buy next time I'm at the Square. Fish and seafood are so expensive here, I am reluctant to buy until I know it's worthwhile.

I've liked the regular kind of mackerel when I've had it, but I still think of Sylvester the Cat and his "here kitty kitty kitty" dangling the fish carcass...

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Cook hooked one off a boat out of Cairns, one of the best pieces fish I've ever had. Go for it.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.