Thread: Budget Concerns page

TheTeddy is offline Member

Budget Concerns

Primal Fuel
    When I shop at the beginning of the month, I typically buy enough meat to last the whole month, and enough veggies for two weeks so they don't go bad. For instance this is what I'm going to buy soon:

Meat:
    Sirloin patties- 18ct, 1/3lb each
    Pork Chops- 6ct
    Boneless chicken thighs- 6lb bag
    Shrimp- small, tailess, 70-90ct
    Bacon- two 1lb packages
    Chuck roast- 3lbs
    Ham/turkey- deli sliced, two 1lb packs
    Fish- 3lbs
    Tuna- 10 cans
    Stew meat- 1lb

Veggies/fruits:
    Celery stalks- 2 bags
    Cucumbers- 4
    Bell peppers- 4 red, 4 green
    Tomatoes- 8
    Green onions- 3 bundles
    Bananas- 1lb
    Frozen Veggies- 10 bags
    Canned Veggies- 10 cans
    Lettuce blend- 2 packages

Other:
    Eggs- 3 dozen
    Butter- 1lb
    Cottage cheese- 4 cup tub

All total, my over estimate is around $150. I buy for two, myself, a highly active 19 year old, and my grandmother, 76. We're on fairly limited income(less than $2,000 a month), so we can't really afford organic or 100% grassfed or wildcaught stuff, so we buy the cleanest cuts we can. In any case, does anyone have ways that we can save money, or get more meat(I like to double my meat for dinner on workout days)?
    Last edited by TheTeddy; 09-09-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Talk to your butcher and see if you can get any of the "odd bits" such as organ meats, oxtail, soup bones, fat, etc. They often are happy to get rid of this stuff at a reasonable price and will sometimes even give it away. Make bone broth. It is the best Primal "superfood" there is. Between this and eating offal, you can probably stop spending any money on supplements.

Where in California are you? I find that my "ethnic" markets often have good deals. My asian supermarket sells goat meat that makes a great slow cooker meal. My middle eastern bodega sells lamb liver, kidneys, hearts, and really cheap spices. The Mexican supermarket sells thin sliced carne asada beef that makes great homemade jerky. The Vietnamese store sells chicken feet that make great stock. Look around in the areas of town where immigrants live and you might find some good deals.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Likewise, consider community gardening for seasonal veggies, too.

I live in the Sacramento area, nor cal. There aren't a whole lot of ethnic markets around here

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTeddy View Post
    I live in the Sacramento area, nor cal. There aren't a whole lot of ethnic markets around here
    My sister lives near Stockton. There's a pretty large asian population in that area. They have to shop somewhere. Also, there are Mexican people everywhere in this state. They buy their lengua somewhere.

I just did a quick search and found four of them within 5 miles! I'm blind! In my eyes! Haha

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I have a Dutch Store, run by Mennonites. Alot of bulk stuff. I have to bring it home and re-package and freeze it. I can get a case of Greek Yogurt for 2.99. I make my own also but not for that price, so I havent had to make it for awhile. I try to buy as best as I can, but it isn't always top of the line either. I have a store that does it's mark downs first thing when the butcher gets there. Half price or better mark downs. Every. Single. Day. I have another store that will mark down it's milk and I freeze it. My Dutch store has great produce, but it is a 20 mile drive one way, so one of my other grocers mark down their produce mid-afternoon. That is hit and miss but if I am in town, it is worth popping in to see what they have.

I feed alot of ppl here. Me, DH, DS18, DD and her son while she finishes school, DS has 1 - 4 friends here at any give time. We have family dinner here once a month, so that is another 20 - 30 ppl. Over the summer we had all the grandkids here at one time, so that was 9 of them, and a couple extra sets of parents. I have a sister that usually has too much month left at the end of the money so I give her food as well. So I just do the best that I can. Some day, it will just be DH and I, and I can do better.

I also have room to raise some critters, but havent yet. I was buying eggs from my niece for $1 a dozen, but she got rid of her chickens. I couldnt believe she didnt ask me if I wanted them! There are lots of Mennonite and Amish around, I know I can find more for a decent price, comparable to store eggs.

There is also a Produce Auction close to me. You have to buy in bulk so you have to freeze or can it, if you can't use it all up right away.

The thing for me is condensing the trips to maximize my gas.

I have been on a canned salmon and canned mackerel kick the past few weeks. I try to stock up on store items when a sale hits.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    How about potatoes? A 10lb bag is usually less than $5, they have a long shelf life when stored in a cool place, and can really help stretch a meal.

Paleobird's offal suggestion is a good one - liver and heart are usually pretty cheap (like $1/$2 per pound, depending on where you get them)

Also, if I can get a good price on something at the farmer's market, say zucchini, I buy a TON, then peel and dice most of it, and freeze in ziploc baggies for future use (maybe you do this already?)
    Last edited by BestBetter; 09-10-2012 at 08:23 AM.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Meat:
    Sirloin patties- 18ct, 1/3lb each
    Pork Chops- 6ct
    Boneless chicken thighs- 6lb bag
    Shrimp- small, tailess, 70-90ct
    Bacon- two 1lb packages
    Chuck roast- 3lbs
    Ham/turkey- deli sliced, two 1lb packs
    Fish- 3lbs
    Tuna- 10 cans
    Stew meat- 1lb
    buy bulk ground beef, not pre-made patties. buy fattier beef, like 85-15, both factors will make this cheaper by far. i can get grass-fed 85-15 ground beef for less than cafo pre-made lean patties.

instead of pork chops, buy butt or shoulder. fattier, cheaper, smaller portions are much more filling than a larger portion of flavorless, lean pork chop.

get whole chickens, or buy parts that still have bones. any added labor to meat, like boning out, ups the price.

buy bacon on-sale, freeze and stock-up. i get the supermarket brand because it has no sugar and is quite a bit cheaper than a brand-name.

we splurge on ribeyes every once ina while, but i have been getting lots of beef heart and tongue lately, for less than $2 pp.

good deli meats are spendy, and often contain sugar. i'd roast some turkey or eye cut of beef for cold sliced meats.

more eggs. i eat more than 3 dozen per month, by myself.

bone broth. super cheap to make, super healthy and a great meal stretcher. frequently my first meal is broth with some greens and either eggs or bits of meat stirred in there. very nutritious and very filling.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Excellent suggestions all of you! Thanks