Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering barbell programs page 3

Shop Now
    I've seen her legs, she can continue to do whatever the heck she wants to with those, fo' real doe.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Lol! Thanks
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

adamm is offline Senior Member
    I'm probably no farther along than you are, so I can't really give you expert advice. I would say you are past SS, as it really is a program just to get you "basically strong". I mean, even the advanced power lifters spend alot of time doing "assistance" exercises, and you can only go so far doing basic bench, press, squats and DLs without broadening your base, especially as you stop being a novice and need more stimulation to grow (either in strength, in hypertrophy, or both).

531 would probably work for you and your partner, as for men it is a good mix of both strength and mass. I'm sure women develop strength on it well, but y'all are mass challenged

--Me

Yeah, 5/3/1 might work for us. I'll need to look at what the options are since I want to keep both the barbell lifts and stuff like pullups in there. This is what happens when nerds get into lifting--I find myself researching programs and reading journal articles and stuff.

And yeah, we're more mass challenged than you dudes for sure, but I'm okay with that (although I also like having some visible muscle and enjoy looking strong rather than skinny).

I would like to work with a program, though, because although I've been lifting for a while, I haven't really done it self-directed, so I want to get more of a sense of lifting without the structure of a coached class.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Yeah, 5/3/1 might work for us. I'll need to look at what the options are since I want to keep both the barbell lifts and stuff like pullups in there. This is what happens when nerds get into lifting--I find myself researching programs and reading journal articles and stuff.

And yeah, we're more mass challenged than you dudes for sure, but I'm okay with that (although I also like having some visible muscle and enjoy looking strong rather than skinny).

I would like to work with a program, though, because although I've been lifting for a while, I haven't really done it self-directed, so I want to get more of a sense of lifting without the structure of a coached class.

Owly's Journal

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Madcow or Compound solution for punny arms but seriously with your numbers any advanced routine will do.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Took a good look at 531 last night and I think we are going to give it a try. It's similar to what I'm used to doing as a percentage-based program with a rotating set of lifts, which has gotten me good results in the past. I hope it will be a good fit for both of us. We'll see how it goes over a cycle. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll probably talk about how it goes over in my journal.

Owly's Journal

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Took a good look at 531 last night and I think we are going to give it a try. It's similar to what I'm used to doing as a percentage-based program with a rotating set of lifts, which has gotten me good results in the past. I hope it will be a good fit for both of us. We'll see how it goes over a cycle. Thanks everyone for your help! I'll probably talk about how it goes over in my journal.
    Glad you liked it. I thought it would resonate, as it is "compatible" (for lack of a better term) with SS/Stronglifts/MadCow/etc approach to training.

Please let me know how it works; the good, the bad, and the ugly

--Me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123