Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering barbell programs page 2

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    If you're serious about barbell training (and it sounds like you are) I would consider purchasing your own weights & cage as a sound investment.

SS is a great program, but after a few months I found having to squat every other day extremely punishing! You are expected to eat huge quantities of food & drink tons of milk in order to build muscle as quickly as possible (regardless of fat gain) so if you are unwilling to do that (as I was) you might also struggle after a while. I moved onto a LeanGains style RPT program (although I find the rippedbody.jp website more accessible) which I actually find a harder workout than SS but it gives you longer to recover.

EDIT: to reply to the post you made whilst I was typing this, both SS and Leangains RPT are focused on building strength rather than building size (bodybuilding)
    Last edited by zilog; 09-10-2012 at 07:22 AM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Zilog, that's an option down the road but right now we are renting and don't have enough space. We have a garage but it's too cold in winter here to use it as a gym space. Hopefully when we buy a house we will have room for a good home setup. For now there are a couple of facilities we're considering (we are doing drop ins to try them out and see which we prefer).
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

The weight gain thing sounds good for him since he's an ecto-meso type (was a hard gainer when he was younger, age and years of training have helped). He doesn't put fat on easily.

Not so much a desirable aspect for me. More muscle, sure. More fat, not so much.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I did this program Maximum Strength: Get Your Strongest Body in 16 Weeks With the Ultimate Weight-Training Program: Amazon.ca: Eric Cressey, Matt Fitzgerald: Books and found it to be excellent - it starts from the ground up, includes a foam rolling protocol, addresses most common weaknesses and also was great for increasing strength. Going to start a second round of it soon.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I'm assuming since programming at my gym was not gender differentiated that the rumours are true and women's uteri won't fall out if we lift heavy. I'm looking for a program for a beginner/intermediate lifter, not a program with pink sparkleprincess weights.

I'm willing to consider weighted pushups as an alternative if I find I'm having shoulder issues, but I'd want to do the program as written first and then adjust if I found I was having problems.
    About half of any program is progression and that won't happen as quickly without more testosterone.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    You don't need a regimented program to follow.... unless you want one.

Here's a squat program I posted about a while ago

if you are trying to add strength you will add strength by lifting heavy 3-4 times a week. Just alternate squats, deadlifts, bench, press etc. I would recommend explosive movements like cleans, snatch - power is more practicially effective outside the gym than strength training (imho oc).

edit also consider crossfit barbell wods and strength wods like Gator, The Bear Complex (my fav), Grace, Isabel. Bear Complex could make you crazy strong everywhere by itself.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 09-10-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    About half of any program is progression and that won't happen as quickly without more testosterone.
    Alex, until you go do some actual research on women and lifting, I'd suggest you stop talking out of your ass. Women can progress just fine, although our max weight may be smaller and we don't gain the same mass.

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    You don't need a regimented program to follow.... unless you want one.

Here's a squat program I posted about a while ago

if you are trying to add strength you will add strength by lifting heavy 3-4 times a week. Just alternate squats, deadlifts, bench, press etc. I would recommend explosive movements like cleans, snatch - power is more practicially effective outside the gym than strength training (imho oc).

edit also consider crossfit barbell wods and strength wods like Gator, The Bear Complex (my fav), Grace, Isabel. Bear Complex could make you crazy strong everywhere by itself.
    TFC, I definitely want to keep some explosive movements, especially cleans since I find that movement has good real life application.

Owly's Journal

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Alex, until you go do some actual research on women and lifting, I'd suggest you stop talking out of your ass. Women can progress just fine, although our max weight may be smaller and we don't gain the same mass.
    Are you saying you can up your squat 5-10lbs every workout like some programs tell you to?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Not at this point in my progress since I am approaching a 200-pound squat, which is getting pretty heavy for a woman my size. But during my beginner months, absolutely I could.

Most dudes don't add 5 to 10 pounds per workout after a couple of years either.

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast