Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone have bulletproof coffee...but with ghee instead of butter? page 2

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I made it with ghee and it was delicious. I don't drink it anymore though. But I make the ghee myself and cook it until the solids are dark brown. The ghee has lots of caramel flavors that way, so it is really good in the coffee. I was really surprised how "creamy" it got with the ghee. Just don't let it sit for a very long time, it will separate out again eventually.
    So to make ghee, do I just melt regular butter and what part do I discard? Seems a little difficult to do but I might try this way because the store bought ghee doesn't do too much for me.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    So to make ghee, do I just melt regular butter and what part do I discard? Seems a little difficult to do but I might try this way because the store bought ghee doesn't do too much for me.

Just melt the butter in a pan and simmer it until the milk solids are dark brown. They will form little clumps. Then strain the whole thing - I use a mesh strainer lined with a couple paper towels. The milk solids will catch in the strainer and the ghee will filter through.

Be careful though. the ghee is insanely hot - so cool it for a bit before straining - and then still be careful. The burns from hot butter are not nice.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

alg2435 is offline Senior Member
    I tried it with Ghee, and really disliked it. But I don't like bulletproof coffee anyways, makes me feel like gagging. I wish I liked it though! Cold-brewed black or with heavy cream is the way to go for me.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent* View Post
    I'm familiar with bulletproof coffee but the recipe calls for butter. Has anyone tried it with ghee? I'm trying to stay completely off butter so sticking with ghee. About how much you think the coffee needs? I assume just throw it all in a blender (coffee and ghee?)

thanks guys!
    That is the only way I do it. Ghee and heavy whipping cream. I like the way it emulsifies. Yum.

Grass fed ghee from PureIndianfoods.com

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Brent* is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    That is the only way I do it. Ghee and heavy whipping cream. I like the way it emulsifies. Yum.

Grass fed ghee from PureIndianfoods.com
    I use purity farms ghee:
    Purity Farm Organic Ghee, Clarified Butter, 13-Ounce: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I want to try the stuff you recommend but amazon has it for $13! that is a ton. I can't find that stuff in the stores either unfortunately here in Seattle

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i make my own. i skim the milk solids off the top but you need to be really careful as it can spit real bad at the beginning. then i strain it off at the end when it has cooled down. what i do notice is how salty the milk solids are at the bottom of the pot. makes you wonder how much salt they actually put in salted butter.

Alykat is offline Member
    Whats the recipe (tsp per cup of ghee)? Do you blend it in blender or just stir into hot coffee?
    And does this drink make one gain weight (over time of drinking it)?

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I clarify my butter, I think for it to be ghee it has to get to the brown solids, I prefer just to remove the milk solids as soon as possible, while white. It still tastes like butter then to me. Without the problems.

I love it in my coffee
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 11-07-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Zak
    Zak is offline Junior Member
    I have tried this kind, it's grass-fed, organic, and comes from non-homogenized milk but it is spendy! Grassfed Organic Ghee 7.8 Oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

I just decided to use kerrygold butter, I liked the ghee flavor better but from a cost standpoint the butter is a better choice for me.

miata is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I get KerryGold salted butter from Costco, since that is the cheapest way of getting grass-fed butter for me. I then clarify it -- which also seems to remove any salt taste that stays with the milk solids.

I then add 3-4 Tbs of the clarified butter and 3 Tbs of Nutivia virgin coconut oil (also from Costco) to 16 oz. Pete's Major Dickason's coffee (also Costco) brewed with an AeroPress. Yummy and holds you over for hours.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12