Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! not adapted! page

tcseacliff is offline Senior Member

Help! not adapted!

Primal Fuel
    Now I am stuck, and do not know what to do! I have been attempting to be primal , lose weight, feel great. well, after 11mos. I have not got fat adapted at all. I love not eating grains,pastas carbs. feel great, but my body fat has increased, and now after my 11 month, had to get a stent for one my my arteries.
    Now, I am at a loss as to what to do. did i fail? did the primal way fail me? when i say i feel great, i mean it! I am never hungry after my frittta breakfast,love my steamed veggies with my dinner, big ass salads,etc. but my cholesterol numbers are high,etc. the dye and catheter showed almost 100% blockage.

How do i justify this way of eating when after 11 mos. , I do not have that weight loss success look? and now I am on the statins and the plavix to keep the clots away. how do i prove to my doctors, and my own body for that matter , that i am eating ok? my family , who were starting to get on board,are now questioning my rationale

I have nothing to show for it. I actually gained weight, and it is not that much muscle. Tomorrow is my first follow up with the cardiologist who put the stent in, I am sure i will be given the old low fat ,low carb blah,blah blah,diet. but I don't know what to do? i do not want to eat carbs again, but the fat has seemed to turn on me! anyone else been here? , how did you cope / solve this dilemma. he said i was very lucky.

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Wow~so sorry to hear this :| I was wondering if the blockage and damage could be a result of your old diet? Maybe it took longer to express due to a healthier lifestyle/diet? Even if you must do a lower fat version(I do) and leaner protein(me too) maybe you could still leave out the grains, sugars, processed and manufactured foods just for overall better health???? Best of luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by longing2bfit View Post
    Wow~so sorry to hear this :| I was wondering if the blockage and damage could be a result of your old diet? Maybe it took longer to express due to a healthier lifestyle/diet? Even if you must do a lower fat version(I do) and leaner protein(me too) maybe you could still leave out the grains, sugars, processed and manufactured foods just for overall better health???? Best of luck!!
    I cut the grains ,sugar processed etc, 11 mos ago! this is my dilemma. i don't know it this was already in place when i started or di dthe increase in fats accelerate this? since i am not having any actual weight loss re: body fat, i cannot tell how beneficial this is, besides feeling great, and not being hungry and loving the meals , I still have bad hdl,ldl #'s and my body looks as I I am a pizza eating glutton? was wondering if anyone else here has had similar ,crap results? and how was it resolved? thanks.
    curious: what made you think i was still eating grains,carbs sugar , processed foods? [I] have been all in primal !

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps you have some other sensitivities to start losing weight (dairy?) Maybe you are eating too much, not exercising/getting enough slow movement? Hard to help without more information.

the only real dairy i have now is some kefir, and a little cheese grated on my frittata's. i will get to the bottom of this. my first follow up is tomorrow with heart doctor. My opinion is my damage was d=one when i started going primal. a few injuries in the outset, caused my poor excercise regimen, but the elimination of the grains ,carbs and prcessed stuff should have yeilded a little something, but I got nothing!

i am not ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater, but I still like the way i eat but, i als have to be concerned for my heart. doctor said i could of easily had a stroke with the build up i had. so, hence my nervousness!

this is the last thing on my mind was a stent for a clogged artery. never felt it, did not know it.out of the blue. it came to a head recently , when some of my injuries were better, so I increased my workouts. the one that brought my cardiac issue to the forefront was my tire sled. it is the most awesome piece of equipment. since my previous injury to my hip and a knee issue was discovered during my first sprint, I still wanted to get a cardio workout. since i loath swimming, this was a perfect solution. excellent workout, portable , and very effective full extremity workout!
    As I was working up to a longer workout session, started getting a pain in my throat, as if swallowing a pill the wrong way. it got worse and worse, so i cut my workouts down , eventually could not even walk down the stairs to my car , got pain. stress test did not show much, so had the dye and catheter procedure, and there it was , one massive clog of plaque.
    Had I not started the primal ways and the desire to be healthy , I could have easily had a severe stroke or death. so now have to analize and continue , so hoping can get feedback from this great community of groks.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A massive clog in your artery? I suspect it began longer than 11 months ago. Steamed vegetables, salads, frittatas certainly weren't the cause of your problem. Be kind to yourself. You just had surgery.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

longing2bfit is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcseacliff View Post
    I cut the grains ,sugar processed etc, 11 mos ago! this is my dilemma. i don't know it this was already in place when i started or di dthe increase in fats accelerate this? since i am not having any actual weight loss re: body fat, i cannot tell how beneficial this is, besides feeling great, and not being hungry and loving the meals , I still have bad hdl,ldl #'s and my body looks as I I am a pizza eating glutton? was wondering if anyone else here has had similar ,crap results? and how was it resolved? thanks.
    curious: what made you think i was still eating grains,carbs sugar , processed foods? [I] have been all in primal !
    oH No!! I was not implying you were not 100% primal at all!!!!!! I meant maybe you could stick with no grains etc (as you already are) yet cut down on the fat per se? I had actual weight gain for many months while trying to do a higher fat primal (like almost 50lbs!!thinking I would adapt anytime) But once I lowered my fat and protein I did much better. I have to eat very small to stay in a healthy range. It sucked at first but it works for me now!

I don't think eating primal caused your problem because my understanding is that it takes many years for that kind of blockage to build up!!!! The bad seed oils, soy and crap meats from grain fed cows and of course the poor quality of dairy available contributes to heart plaque, NOt grass-fed, pastured meat sources or pastured free range eggs, or heart healthy saturated fats. So IF it were me I would continue with all natural, fresh veggies/fruits and the very best cuts of wild/ natural meat I could afford! And I would eat smaller ,leaner and stay compliant.

I can guess you must have been frightened and horrified and I feel for you. But you are asking our opinions and thats all we can give you. I personally do not feel that primal caused your blockage! JMO.. Best of luck!!

I think you guys are right. my diet was the classic, cold cuts, huge sandwiches,cookies,cakes,pasta ,wheat stuff,sodas. the hope is that now that i have a better circulation, when i get the ok to exercise, I, NOW will see weight loss! except the downside right now is the statins. doctor said I do need then to get my numbers down.
    I have to tell ya, talking fats, calories, ketosis, getting fast adapted, it is so surreal when the conversation is stroke, plaques and it is actually your body is the discussion, not some blog you are reading! WOW! I am more scared then i thought i would be.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Also find foods that claim to reduce arterial plaque. There is a poster on here whose husband reversed his arterial plaque buildup with Primal Blueprint. That's right, scan was positive for plaque and something like two years later, negative. Avocados are said to aid in healing arterial lining, as are antioxidants like green tea, underripe apples, things that are bitter or sour in general. I know it's not much to go on, but start googling around about foods that reverse atherosclerosis. It's what I've hedged my bets on.

I was raised on fake pizza, Jack in the Box, cookies, macaroni and cheese, soda, and boxes of wheat shapes. I have a LOT of healing to do. My cholesterol is up, but it's my HDL, so I'm happy.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast