Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two weeks in and I'm a little bummed..... page

Jeffybear is offline Member

Two weeks in and I'm a little bummed.....

Shop Now
    I just completed my first 2 full weeks of being primal. I would say that I'm probably 95% too. I was really pumped last weekend when my daughter had some friends over on Labor Day and there were cookies, cake, chips and alot of other carb infested foods laying around everywhere. I was 100% good, had no problem through any of it. I've been doing primal exercises that Mark shows in the book, probably 4 times each week. I stepped on the scales this morning and I had only dropped 2 lbs in those two weeks...I was really expecting more. I need to drop about 50 lbs, I realize that this isn't supposed to be an instantaneous thing, but I guess I was just thinking that I would lose more a little faster than this, especially because I was being so fanatical about being primal. Anyone else realize these slow startups? Is this normal?
    Primal since 27 August 2012
    Age 47
    Height 5'10"
    SW 236
    PW 223
    GW 185

My Journal

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    Oh, please don't be upset! I didn't see any weight drop for well over a month. The thing to concentrate on right now, seriously, is getting comfortable with the dietary changes. I would say that, yes, it is normal! Stay the course and don't quit!
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    2 pounds in 2 weeks is not bad. More important than weight loss how are you feeling?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Yes, and yes.

Firstly - WICKEDLY GOOD SHOW NOT CAVING ON LABOR DAY!! That is hard, and seriously speaks to your resolve to do this.

About me: I am not counting pounds on a scale, I am counting belt holes. It took a few weeks for the thinning to start. But then, I am in this for a lot more than weight loss - I needed to get my eating habits in order, seriously reclaim lost energy, avoid another depressive episode, and get the blood sugar back in line. Weight means not so much to me - losing flab inches, gaining strength, and solving health issues are my thing.

There are a number of folks here on the MDA who lost a lot of inches, but not many pounds because they were gaining muscle as the fat melted. They do have net loss, though, so don't get discouraged on me - it was just not that "I lost 10 pounds eating bacon this week!" thing. I have also heard it here that bodyfat percentage is a much better goal than simple weight, as desired as that may be.

Nobody here knows exactly how their body (or anybody else's) will react to the first couple of months of Primal. If you are feeling better in some fashion, keep with it. I'll bet you are one of those whose bodies wait a while and then just dump the weight - my hubby is proving to be that way.

My only WOE (Way of Eating) advice - just be sure that you aren't taking in massive amounts of calories, even though they are 95% Primal. If you posted a day or two of your actual intake from this week, the number crunchers here will do their magic. I suggest starting a Journal - then we can get to know you better over time. Good Luck!

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    2 pounds in two weeks - lets see that about 50 lbs gone in a year -pretty darn good- how long did it take you to put it on??

Jeffybear is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twa2w View Post
    2 pounds in two weeks - lets see that about 50 lbs gone in a year -pretty darn good- how long did it take you to put it on??
    Well, it only took me 5 days on a cruise to put on 7 lbs.....it goes on FAST
    Primal since 27 August 2012
    Age 47
    Height 5'10"
    SW 236
    PW 223
    GW 185

My Journal

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Since going primal I've had some weeks where I've dropped weight, and some where nothing much happened (or I even seemed to go up slightly). I have now lost 4kg since the week after I started primal (I didn't weigh myself at the start... I'd had an AWFUL week the week before and didn't want to know what I weighed... I finally sucked it up and weighed the Monday morning after I started). It's now been about 2 months, so I've lost an average of 2kg a month, which works out at approximately 0.5kg a week or 1 pound . So yeah, 1 pound a week seems pretty reasonable, and it DOES add up!

You may be surprised though and find weeks where your weight just plummets even though you haven't done anything much different. There will also be weeks when you stall... I still have about 32 lbs to lose, and yes, I was hoping to lose them sooner, but any progress is GOOD progress, and as it is I'm doing better sticking to primal than I have with any other eating plan/diet I've ever tried. Even when I've slipped up on occasion, I've picked myself right back up (and in the past, following the traditional low fat kinda diet... I just kept falling).

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    A lot of people lose slowly. I think the premise is that this is a lifestyle, hence you don't do the extreme dieting that leads to fast weight loss (plus for most people, a return to eating crappily and a return of the pounds lost). It isn't healthy to lose weight quickly, and it seldom looks good- the deflated jelly fish....

It's a lifestyle change and you learn how to eat in a new way, that satisfies you after you are slim too.

Keep at it, don't be too concerned with the scale, pay attention to clothes fit etc. instead.

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffybear View Post
    Well, it only took me 5 days on a cruise to put on 7 lbs.....it goes on FAST
    Life is unfair, better get used to it haha!

Either way, a pound a week is 50lbs in a year. Greatness isn't so far!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    It took me about 5-6 weeks to lose much of anything. I'm down 18.5lbs since the end of January. Slow and steady wins the race, with a higher likelihood for the weight to stay off if it's lost slowly. Plus your skin has a chance to respond so you don't end up with as much saggy skin when you're at goal weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast