Thread: Any swimmers out there? Need help training page

BennettC is offline Senior Member

Any swimmers out there? Need help training

Primal Fuel
    I am really considering joining navy or coast guard so I know swimming needs to be big part of my regemine. I am also trying to repair my lungs from smoking. I also watched the olympics long distance swim and this really inspired me, to me that is the ultimate athlete. My training will look like this.

Swim 30min-1 hr every morning (at least 5 days a week)
    Weight lift 3 times a week, incorporating isotonic and isometric exercises, mainly using an olympic barbell but will incorporate body weight calisthenics (2 days full body, one day lower body)
    Sprint 1 day a week
    Daily walks with 30 pound vest

How does this look? Thoughts? Suggestions?!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BennettC View Post
    I am really considering joining navy or coast guard so I know swimming needs to be big part of my regemine. I am also trying to repair my lungs from smoking. I also watched the olympics long distance swim and this really inspired me, to me that is the ultimate athlete. My training will look like this.

Swim 30min-1 hr every morning (at least 5 days a week)
    Weight lift 3 times a week, incorporating isotonic and isometric exercises, mainly using an olympic barbell but will incorporate body weight calisthenics (2 days full body, one day lower body)
    Sprint 1 day a week
    Daily walks with 30 pound vest

How does this look? Thoughts? Suggestions?!
    Hi, BennettC: I learned to swim in 2005 and shortly thereafter, began to swim in the Master's competitive programme under the brilliant coaching of Cliff Barry (head of the Olympic Swim Team for 26 years). I swam 3 days per week, ran 3 days per week, cycled 4 days per week and lifted weights 6 days per week. It was an intense time. In 2007, I completed the Ironman swim (4k) in 1hr/17min and in the Master's Swimming National competition, placed 6th in North America in the 1500m swim.

Couple of questions for you:
    1. how much time do you have to train?
    2. Do you need to meet swimming requirements? Time? Distance? Both?

If you have sufficient time, I would suggest you seek out a Master's Swimming Coach in your area and contact him/her and advise him of your goals and the details. Ask the coach to prepare a swimming schedule for you, taking into consideration the other workouts that you have scheduled each week.

Here are some basic guidelines for swimming:
    1. If you want to be proficient, fast --- it's ideal to swim and practice all strokes (back, fly, breast and front crawl);
    2. Intervals and speedwork in all 4 strokes will make you faster. The same training principles apply in swimming as in running or cycling. Increase mileage and sets of intervals weekly.

Lastly, if you have time/initiative to join a Master's swim club --- they'll make a swimmer out of you in no time. There are some great swimming technique videos on Utube. Technique is EVERYTHING in swimming. It is also helpful if you have a friend who can film you swimming either from the pool deck or underwater so you can improve on technique.

Good luck -- your future endeavours sound exciting!
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    I will have plenty of time to train as it will be my main focus. Secondly ill be working towards my G.E.D. and then getting into a community college. I'm not exactly sure about time and distance requirements but I know it is some like swim X distance in 14 Minutes. In the future I will be interested in doing some marathons and ironman comps. as well. I have a nice bike so I think incorporating cycling would be a good thing as well. Thanks so much for your help, the info and suggestions you provided have been very helpful

I also have a friend I met at the gym who is a former Olympic weight lifter who I am hoping to do some training with
    Last edited by BennettC; 09-09-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Louisa655 View Post
    If you have sufficient time, I would suggest you seek out a Master's Swimming Coach in your area and contact him/her and advise him of your goals and the details. Ask the coach to prepare a swimming schedule for you, taking into consideration the other workouts that you have scheduled each week.

Here are some basic guidelines for swimming:
    1. If you want to be proficient, fast --- it's ideal to swim and practice all strokes (back, fly, breast and front crawl);
    2. Intervals and speedwork in all 4 strokes will make you faster. The same training principles apply in swimming as in running or cycling. Increase mileage and sets of intervals weekly.
    Butterfly has always been my worst stroke. Free style (front stroke) has always been my best & breast stroke 2nd best. I'm ok @ back stroke ( my mom's best stroke, she still glides smoothly & beautifully like a fish @ age 75 in back stroke. She held a Florida record for a few years as a little girl, when she was a Junior Olympian swimmer).

I have made a LOT of speed & endurance gains in the water without really swimming in butterfly hardly at all. It is THE MOST DIFFICULT stroke. And I don't think I will ever be good certainly not very good at it, as I don't practice it much, lol. Maybe 1 lap out of the 20 -24 laps I'm up to lately, but often not at all, as I just don't like/never liked the fly. But I agree that I should. Maybe in the future, I'll add in some more. Maybe...

Thanks for the reminder for me & I'm sure young Bennett will be a champion swimmer in no time at all!
    Last edited by Betorq; 09-09-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown