Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My white potato n=1 page

primalswan is offline Senior Member

My white potato n=1

Shop Now
    I have been pretty liberal with my consumption of sweet potatoes since going primal. I have kids, they love them and they need the carbs. I prepare them several times a week for dinner and eat them probably 5/7 days a week. They have not impacted my ability to drop weight or ever made me crash. So last week were visiting my husband's aunt and she made a brisket cooked with white potatoes. Man they were delish all drenched in beef drippings. It got me wondering if we could incorporate them back into our diet occasionally. This week I decided to try allowing some form of white potato into my mouth for a few days, but still kept my carbs at around 100g a day,which is where I naturally fall when I eat Primal on a typical day. SO I had potato chips fried in Avocado oil one day (best potato chips ever!), regular homemade french fries the next, and last night due this cruddy cold I just wanted something bland so I had a chicken leg and mashed potatoes. 3 days. . . 3lb weight gain! This is the time of the month I typically drop a pound or 2. So goodbye white potatoes, you are so not worth it!

Sweet potatoes really are magical!

Timthetaco Guest
    It's not possible to gain three pounds of fat from less than 300 grams of potatoes in 3 days. Water weight.

Sweet potatoes are magical, though, I agree.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    It's very unlikely the potatoes made you gain three pounds of fat. you would have to have eaten 10,500 calories over your intake for that to have happened. Weighing yourself is a terrible way to gauge if you gained fat. Your weight changes everyday from a huge amount of factors, eg. Water intake, how heavy the food you have eaten is, glycogen stores, Water retention, What food is still digesting, if you have gone to the toilet etc. I eat white potatoes everyday and i stay lean. It's more about your carb intake rather than the type of carb. If you eat the carbs with protein and fats, the digestion is slowed immensely, regardless of the type of carb.

otzi Guest
    I'd be willing to bet you experienced an inflammatory response to the cooking oil. Happens to me every time. I used to blame the eggrolls, french fries, fish, etc... but turned out to be the frying that caused rapid weight gain in me. A good N=1 for you now would be after all your recent weight fluctuations have settled down, try eating sweet potatoes cooked the way the white potatoes were, in the same oils. Do you know what oil was used for the 'regular homemade' fries? Maybe they were using some really rancid soybean oil or other wonderful oxidized marvel of technology.

Giving up all fried food, even fried in butter/bacon fat, was the best move I made. I use these fats to cook with, but not to the point things are fried hard and brown--just soft and sauteed.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I agree, I doubt the 3 pounds was fat gain, although you may have an inflammatory response either to the white potato (do you have issues with other nightshades?) or the oils used in cooking. If your overall calorie count and macros stayed the same, I can't imagine how you'd put on that much weight that fast. Did you track for other variables?

I've eaten white potatoes almost daily over the last few months, sometimes twice a day and in much larger volumes than I'd guess you're eating, and I've continued to get leaner. Also an n=1, but white potatoes are not necessarily only for the young, lean dudes (I'm a woman in my mid 30s). However, for my 20-something brother with a nightshade sensitivity, that's a whole other story.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Potatoes are more nutrient dense than sweets, and the two are more or less equal as far as fiber, resistant starch, and protein content go. It doesn't stand to reason that they'd be inherently more fattening.

And I don't see why people stress out over a weight fluctuation of 5 lbs. My weight will swing almost 15 lbs in either direction when I alternate low & high carb.
    Last edited by Chaohinon; 09-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

zizou is offline Senior Member
    If they werent a bloody nightshade i'd eat them liberally! Instead Parsnip is my substitute.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I really dislike posts like this. They always end the same way - a person consumes some kind of carbohydrate, their weight goes up due to water retention and glycogen repletion and they conclude that said food makes them fat and will therefore be off limits.

White potatoes are very high GI. If you are following some kind of cyclical ketogenic diet with a massive refeed over the weekend that culminates in very high carbohydrate intake with little to no fat, white potatoes are going to be awesome - better than sweet potatoes. You'll replenish glycogen faster and actually bloat less. However, if you're going to combine high GI carbohydrates with fat and salt (like in a beef roast), you're going to bloat a lot. White potatoes and salty, fatty meat is really going to pack on the water weight.

It annoys me that sweet potatoes are so beloved by The Primal Blueprint but white potatoes are often shunned for some reason. Mark Sisson is always recommending sweet potatoes for a great carb source but I've never heard him recommend white potatoes. Why? Here is how a paltry 300 calories of raw white potato compares to 300 calories of raw sweet potato:

Many of you will be shocked that white potatoes are just as nutritious as sweet potatoes. In fact, the only outlier - Vitamin A on a sweet potato - is going to fade away if you're not eating the orange, beta carotene-rich jewel or garnet sweet potatoes. White varieties will lose this outlier. Also, factor in you can eat 86g more white potato for the same caloric impact. Sweet potatoes are more calorically dense than white potatoes and are not more nutritious, so realistically, white potatoes are more nutritious per gram (and equal per calorie) than sweet potatoes.

Now, that's not to say I don't like sweet potatoes. I love sweet potatoes. This is what I bought today:

That's 20 lbs of sweet potatoes, and they're all sitting in my closet. I don't have any white potatoes right now. I typically eat sweet potatoes because I like them more than white potatoes. But they are not better nutritionally and they won't make you fatter. A white potato is just as healthy as a sweet potato, so pick the one you like best.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 09-09-2012 at 07:15 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Faumdano is offline Member
    I see you're fond of the typical Japanese cultivar By far my favorite too next to perhaps some of the purple varieties.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I am sure it is just water weight and will come off after I workout tomorrow. I am feeling significant bloat which I don't normally experience. the fries were just tossed in olive oil and baked, chips in avocado oil which I use all the time and have no issues with. Sorry to ruffle so many feathers, I was just sharing my surprising reaction. Mybweight does not typically fluctuate up like that unless I am approaching my period, which I am not. I am not carb phobic at all and have mostly eschewed white potatoes because I didn't miss them until this week. Since the rest of my diet was the same typical stuff I eat, I now know that white potatoes and I need to be an occasional thing only. Isn't that the point of an n=1? Sorry I touched a nerve . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast