The healthy Tip of the Day

Younger People Aren't Eating Enough Whole Grains
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Funny how they have yet never showed a good study
    Billie trips balls

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    i've always assumed that the "eat at least x servings of whole grains" thing was to get you to cut down on white/highly processed grains. i'm realizing "they" actually think whole grains are beneficial of their own accord.

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    They shoved this down our throats in school, I was morbidly obese

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    You are going to love this one.

The healthy Tip of the Day

Younger People Aren't Eating Enough Whole Grains
    It's, unfortunately, unlikely that these kids are eating more meat, fish, eggs, butter, vegetables and so on.

I passed three on a park bench eating "breakfast" this morning. When I came back ten minutes later they'd gone, leaving a litter of wrappings and a wide scatter of dropped and abandoned food in a swath about 4 feet in diameter.

There was one sandwich wrapper -- bad enough -- but all the rest comprised wrappers from sweets (U.S. candy), biscuits (U.S. cookies), and crisps (U.S. chips). There was a big patch of wotsits:

~ Nom, Nom, Nom ~ | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

on the ground. Maybe their hand-eye coordination is so poor, they can't find their mouths?

And there were about half a dozen digestive biscuits across the path.

What the "Younger People" referred to in the article you link there will be eating is refined grains and sugar.

I think you have to read this one in the context that "nutritionists" and "obesity researchers" have actually, finally twigged by now that refined grains are problematic. Their solution is tell people to eat wholegrains.

It's a broken logic, of course. Dr William Davis says it's a bit like telling people that, since untipped cigarettes are really bad for you, you'd better smoke plenty of filter-tipped cigarettes.

And by now it's getting like a stuck gramophone record ... old metaphor but I guess CDs tend to skip rather than stick.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    I saw an advertisment on TV for Nestle cereals, saying that Irish kids aren't getting enough whole grains, and eating nestle cereals was a good way to get more whole grains. Since when were "Whole Grains" an essential part of someone's diet? I just had to laugh. Marketing at it's finest.

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukey View Post
    I saw an advertisment on TV for Nestle cereals, saying that Irish kids aren't getting enough whole grains, and eating nestle cereals was a good way to get more whole grains. Since when were "Whole Grains" an essential part of someone's diet? I just had to laugh. Marketing at it's finest.
    Funny, I saw that one as well (I hardly ever watch TV), and I was shouting at my TV

otzi Guest
    Michelle Obama visited an Army Chow-Hall (er...Dining Facility), and was appalled by what they were served. She implemented changes to the entire military food system to ensure they feed the soldiers healthy whole grains and vegetarian selections...prepping us for invasion by China, maybe?

Michelle Obama Announces Change to Military Nutrition Standards | TheBlaze.com
    Here are the guidelines:
    On the breakfast menu oven-fried bacon, sausage gravy, butter, sugary cereal and egg, sausage and cheese sandwiches earn a red label. Assorted low-fat yogurt, oven-fried Canadian bacon, broccoli quiche and cholesterol-free scrambled eggs are deemed “high performance” foods.

For lunch and dinner, soldiers are coaxed into choosing hamburger yakisoba over grilled cheeseburgers.

Salisbury steak, BBQ spareribs, grilled pork chops, Yankee pot roast and turkey gravy are discouraged, while baked tuna and noodles, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turkey meatloaf, peas and carrots are “premium fuel for the soldier athlete” that should be chosen frequently.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Hold the mystery meat: Military mess halls soon will be serving more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes under the first program in 20 years to improve nutrition standards across the armed services.

First lady Michelle Obama and Pentagon officials announced the effort Thursday during a visit to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, where the military has been experimenting with ways to improve the quality and variety of foods served on base. The first lady toured a gleaming cafeteria line, then announced the program in a dining hall filled with service members whose plates were overflowing with salad greens, broccoli and whole grains.

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    Funny, I saw that one as well (I hardly ever watch TV), and I was shouting at my TV
    Haha happens all the time when i see "healthy" food adverts on TV

BennettC is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Michelle Obama visited an Army Chow-Hall (er...Dining Facility), and was appalled by what they were served. She implemented changes to the entire military food system to ensure they feed the soldiers healthy whole grains and vegetarian selections...prepping us for invasion by China, maybe?

Michelle Obama Announces Change to Military Nutrition Standards | TheBlaze.com
    Here are the guidelines:
    On the breakfast menu oven-fried bacon, sausage gravy, butter, sugary cereal and egg, sausage and cheese sandwiches earn a red label. Assorted low-fat yogurt, oven-fried Canadian bacon, broccoli quiche and cholesterol-free scrambled eggs are deemed “high performance” foods.

For lunch and dinner, soldiers are coaxed into choosing hamburger yakisoba over grilled cheeseburgers.

Salisbury steak, BBQ spareribs, grilled pork chops, Yankee pot roast and turkey gravy are discouraged, while baked tuna and noodles, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turkey meatloaf, peas and carrots are “premium fuel for the soldier athlete” that should be chosen frequently.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Hold the mystery meat: Military mess halls soon will be serving more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes under the first program in 20 years to improve nutrition standards across the armed services.

First lady Michelle Obama and Pentagon officials announced the effort Thursday during a visit to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, where the military has been experimenting with ways to improve the quality and variety of foods served on base. The first lady toured a gleaming cafeteria line, then announced the program in a dining hall filled with service members whose plates were overflowing with salad greens, broccoli and whole grains.
    Well i can tell you if I do end up joining the military, i certainly won't be eating any of her recommendations. Ill just have to load up on meat and eggs. And yeah lets all eat more tuna, if won't put mercury in us or anything. Ill stick to wild salmon and my fatty cuts of meat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast