Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Younger People Aren't Eating Enough Whole Grains page 3

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    In the past I believe that soldiers DID actually grow and raise their own food. They went on the move with herds of cattle or other animals and slaughtered them as needed.
    This was De Soto's logistical solution when exploring what's now the southern U.S.:

.. he took 13 hogs along and bred them on the march, so that by the following spring he had 300, a number which rose to 500 by fall ... With quartermaster supplies like that grunting along behind the column you simply couldn't starve.
    It's said that "vicious and dangerous" wild swine in the Okefenokee Swamp are descended from pigs that escaped from De Soto's troops.

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    This was De Soto's logistical solution when exploring what's now the southern U.S.:

It's said that "vicious and dangerous" wild swine in the Okefenokee Swamp are descended from pigs that escaped from De Soto's troops.
    Let's face it there have been countless solutions, but, for example, Roman fibulae are found thousands of miles away from Rome, and if I understand it correctly Roman chickens' bones not.
    And, frankly, history is slightly older than De Soto and slightly broader than the southern U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Let's face it there have been countless solutions, but, for example, Roman fibulae are found thousands of miles away from Rome, and if I understand it correctly Roman chickens' bones not.
    And, frankly, history is slightly older than De Soto and slightly broader than the southern U.S.
    Good grief. I thought that would be interesting and amusing information for anyone who didn't know the story.

I would never have dreamed it would offend anyone, and still don't understand why it should. This can be a very weird board.

Good grief. We are having a discussion. BTW, it looks like De Soto's logistical solution wasn't an INDIVIDUAL decision of every soldier. And yes, "this can be a very weird board" is offensive. Sorry, not everyone is a soldier here and not everyone follows the order: "Now, laugh."

Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Good grief. We are having a discussion. BTW, it looks like De Soto's logistical solution wasn't an INDIVIDUAL decision of every soldier.
    No kidding! Would you have argued with a man of that stamp?

I wasn't making some kind of point -- what point is there is that anecdote, anyway? And the point I thought worth making I made half a thread ago (about the likely significance of blue light) anyway.

No particular point. It was to instruct or amuse or pass over and forget as the reader chose.

Fine.
    Last edited by anna5; 09-10-2012 at 10:29 AM.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Huh? I'm thinking that if they follow Michelle Obama's eat more vegetables but put copious fats, even if they eat lean meats along with it, why that would then be the primal blueprint. And we all know how great we feel on it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123