Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Younger People Aren't Eating Enough Whole Grains page 2

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Michelle Obama visited an Army Chow-Hall (er...Dining Facility), and was appalled by what they were served. She implemented changes to the entire military food system to ensure they feed the soldiers healthy whole grains and vegetarian selections...prepping us for invasion by China, maybe?

Michelle Obama Announces Change to Military Nutrition Standards | TheBlaze.com
    Here are the guidelines:
    On the breakfast menu oven-fried bacon, sausage gravy, butter, sugary cereal and egg, sausage and cheese sandwiches earn a red label. Assorted low-fat yogurt, oven-fried Canadian bacon, broccoli quiche and cholesterol-free scrambled eggs are deemed “high performance” foods.

For lunch and dinner, soldiers are coaxed into choosing hamburger yakisoba over grilled cheeseburgers.

Salisbury steak, BBQ spareribs, grilled pork chops, Yankee pot roast and turkey gravy are discouraged, while baked tuna and noodles, Brussels sprouts, spinach, turkey meatloaf, peas and carrots are “premium fuel for the soldier athlete” that should be chosen frequently.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Hold the mystery meat: Military mess halls soon will be serving more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes under the first program in 20 years to improve nutrition standards across the armed services.

First lady Michelle Obama and Pentagon officials announced the effort Thursday during a visit to Little Rock Air Force Base in Arkansas, where the military has been experimenting with ways to improve the quality and variety of foods served on base. The first lady toured a gleaming cafeteria line, then announced the program in a dining hall filled with service members whose plates were overflowing with salad greens, broccoli and whole grains.
    oh god, this actually makes me mad. don't service(wo)men actually need, i dunno, fat and calories? aren't they kind of physically active? she's certainly not going to win votes with the military for her husband if they're all going hungry on diet food.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Same old same old CW and government wisdom they can't admit the drive for grains is wrong so they try and support the least harmful version of them. Still damaging the body but not as bad - that old filtered vs non-filtered cigaret analogy.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    oh god, this actually makes me mad. don't service(wo)men actually need, i dunno, fat and calories? aren't they kind of physically active? she's certainly not going to win votes with the military for her husband if they're all going hungry on diet food.
    I suppose the lady means well, and probably has an eye to more than just what she thinks will benefit her husband's career. They're all working with such simple models, though, aren't they?

As Dr. Feinman remarked in his last column "there is, after all, no calorie receptor". She, among others, has yet to realize even that.

So they promise "more fruits, vegetables and low-fat dishes". I guess the soldiers might appreciate a wider variety of fruits and vegetables, but as soon as she's off the base the low-fat dishes are going to begin congealing in the serving trays. And they're going to stop buying the crap: economics would seem to dictate that.

Talking of Mrs. Obama and simplified understandings of things, Jack Kruse mentions in his latest blog how it's been shown that the more TV a small child watches, the worse a number of mental and physical parameters are likely to be. Mrs Obama, and even Dr. Mercola, thinks it's because they're not active enough, but by the time you've got this far in the blog you know what Jack's going to say:

What Dr. Mercola believes is at the source of the obesity, is the fact that they are sedentary. This what Mrs. Obama is saying too in her campaign against obesity. In my opinion, neither one has the science correct. This is the wrong reason they are getting fat. We know that just sitting around does not make you fat from many studies done on hunter gatherers and from studies on many predatory mammals in the wild who are sedentary for most of their day.
    Yeah, the "original affluent society". Inuit women scarcely stirred outside the igloo all winter -- because there was just no point.

Jack says he thinks it has much to do simply with the amount of blue light from the TVs, video-game consoles, etc., going in their eyes, there being deep and interesting connections between circadian rhythms, light-signalling, gut flora, obesity, food choices, and vitamin D levels. I think he's probably right. Some of this was being said quite some time back in Lights Out, among other things that if you don't sleep your gut flora don't get sorted out. And the connections between gut flora and obesity seem to be getting stronger.

Mrs. Obama thinks everyone needs to eat less (and low-fat) and exercise more. It may be well-meant advice, but it's simple-minded in the extreme (as well as being anthropologically inept).
    Last edited by Lewis; 09-09-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: spelling

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    If I understand it correctly, behind every Obama there is .... Valerie Jarrett who runs our foreign policy, military and everything else. She is good at multitasking and runs, for example, Habitat AND a private construction supply company at the same time. It's possible then that she runs also some cereal company or has some other reasons to feed our army this way.

Besides, grains are cheap and this is a good way to cut our deficit/debts/whatever which will allow us to keep tax cuts for the insanely rich forever and ever. Yeah.

Antiochia is offline Senior Member
    Government does not exist to choose our food for us! People need to make their own choices and deal with the consequences themselves. That way, when people determine there is a problem with their diet, they can fix the problem without a lot of hassle and expense.

There are certain schools now that ban homemade lunchesChicago school bans homemade lunches, the latest in national food fight | The Lookout - Yahoo! News That's crazy. Parents should be able to send a healthy lunch with their child if they wish.
    Ruth

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    ~Bill Cosby

See my journal, The Balancing Act: Integrating Primal into My Life, for menu plans, musings, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochia View Post
    Government does not exist to choose our food for us!
    Yes, dear soldiers, why don't you grow, raise and prepare your own food. We might be the first army in history to do that. But then again we do many other things nobody else in the world have done, going vegan, for example, drinking skim or soy "milk," eliminating history from teaching and minds, speaking "strategic planning" "positivity/negativity" talk, etc.
    Last edited by anna5; 09-10-2012 at 05:48 AM.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    From the Minnesota School of Public Health? Have you seen what the average Minnesotan looks like? Let's just say that from what I've seen, they are hardly the experts on health. ;-)

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by anna5 View Post
    Yes, dear soldiers, why don't you grow, raise and prepare your own food. We might be the first army in history to do that. But then again we do many other things nobody else in the world have done, going vegan, for example, drinking skim or soy "milk," eliminating history from teaching and minds, speaking "strategic planning" "positivity/negativity" talk, etc.
    In the past I believe that soldiers DID actually grow and raise their own food. They went on the move with herds of cattle or other animals and slaughtered them as needed.

Actually, if Michelle Obama's suggestions were the same but MINUS the low fat part, I think they'd all become tremendously physically healthy, strong and able to withstand the stress of fighting way better. All those vegetables can become platforms for olive oil and butter. All that fruit can become delivery devices for coconut fat and cream.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

"In the past I believe that soldiers DID actually grow and raise their own food. They went on the move with herds of cattle or other animals and slaughtered them as needed"
    Yeah, they grew whatever they grew, went to a battle, shook hands with an enemy and returned to their crops.
    "Actually, if Michelle Obama's suggestions were the same but MINUS the low fat part, I think they'd all become tremendously physically healthy, strong and able to withstand the stress of fighting way better. All those vegetables can become platforms for olive oil and butter. All that fruit can become delivery devices for coconut fat and cream"
    What is that? I would be a man, had I not been a woman ...
    In addition, toxic vegetables don't "create" tremendously physically healthy, strong and able to withstand ...." whatever. And yes, toxic soil leads to toxic vegetables. You see, there is a need for expertise, whether it's gardening or .... anything else and no amount of demagoguery and pomposity can replace it.
    Last edited by anna5; 09-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast