Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS vs 5/3/1 page

Gadsie is offline Senior Member

SS vs 5/3/1

Primal Fuel
    I'm currently doing SS. There's a guy who works at my gym and he came up to me today and asked how I was progressing with squats. He also said he was looking at me for some months and that that what I was doing seemed good. He then started telling me about 5/3/1, which he does. He has some good lifts. Squat was over 300lbs, deadlift almost 400lbs. He wrote the entire program for me on paper with my 1RM's. I'm doing SS for 4-5 months now. Should I switch over to 5/3/1 anytime soon?
    Billie trips balls

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Once you've exhausted your gains from SS, then go ahead and switch it up. Don't go changing just because someone who knows his own body is doing well on a program. He doesn't know your body. If and when you are no longer making gains on starting strength, thats when you change it up either for another program or a rest and reset period. So unless you're no longer making gains, don't fix what isn't broken.

booksbikesbeer is offline Junior Member
    Exactly what workingprogress said. SS is great for getting solid foundation of strength, and when that stops working, moving to something like 5/3/1 could be an excellent option.

Of course, if you have been truly consistent for 4+ months, it probably won't hurt you if you do switch programs. I know I have a hard time doing the same thing for over 6 months. My body might still be making some progress, but it never minds a change up. Neither does my mind.

As long as you know what you are getting into and aren't changing programs too quickly, you should be fine.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength is that a great starting program. If you are still progressing on SS stick with it. Once you stop progressing then look at any of the great advanced programs out there Like Madcow, 5/3/1 etc
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Starting Strength is that a great starting program. If you are still progressing on SS stick with it. Once you stop progressing then look at any of the great advanced programs out there Like Madcow, 5/3/1 etc
    Ok, that will be another 8 months or something. The advantage of choosing 531 would be that this guy will do it together with me and that way I'd have a bench spot
    Billie trips balls

Bunk is offline Junior Member
    Like everyone said, stick with SS as long as you are making gains. The one exception to that where I might suggest going to 5-3-1 sooner than waiting until you stall on SS is if you are older and just lifting for general wellness and not interested as much in gains. 5-3-1 is very friendly to the older lifter because of the built in deloads every 4th week.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    @ Gadsie I am sure you could find a way to work together even if you are on different routines. Even if you were both doing 5/3/1 you would be using different weights.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Ok, that will be another 8 months or something. The advantage of choosing 531 would be that this guy will do it together with me and that way I'd have a bench spot
    I say switch. Why? Because it doesn't matter. Exercising consistently will make you stronger, regardless of the whole 531/SS debate. And if training with someone else gives you an edge and pushes you a little more (and is less boring), then you should absolutely switch. I bet you Rippetoe would say the same thing

Its not like you won't get stronger with 531...

--Me

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Adamm you make a good point. But the only problem I tend to see with people who switch programs is they tend to lose focus to often and progress stalls because they never really get started on one thing and see it to the end. Ultimately it doesn't matter what program your on as long as you put in the time moving heavy weights.

wolfman is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just eat and lift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast