Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighbor Noise page 2

catdance62 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    There is something wrong with a dog that howls for that long. I would call animal control. Maybe they are neglecting their dog, in which case they need a ticket and the dog taken away.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    In my last apartment complex we weren't allowed to have dogs. A neighbor moved in with a yappy Pomeranian. After night 3, I got fed up. I left them a note that simply read, "If you don't shut that god damn thing up, so help me I'll EAT IT!"

They moved a week later.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I read the same OP.

What I read is a person who is frustrated by noise, and a neighbor who likely doesn't realize that they are making as much noise as they are.

When DS and I were pre-children, we had a neighbor for a time who rented next door to our condo. Not only did they have small children who happen to be very noisy at all kinds of random times, they also played their tv quite loudly, and also had two small, barky (annoying) dogs.

But for them, they were accustomed to the level of noise, and didn't really hear it. So, when I went and spoke to them about the dogs in particular (cuz they were annoying), she didn't even realize it because -- in her experience -- she hardly heard it at all. Yes, she knew they barked a lot, but she didn't 'hear' it anymore. She's acclimated to it.

She was not unreasonable, not mean, and didn't need to be fined. They started to turn their TV down. During the days when she wasn't home, she had another dog-loving neighbor check in on the dogs and take them for walks; later, she would just drop the dogs off at their neighbor's house for the day. The kids were often in child care, and then weren't really all that noisy.

Honestly, I don't even realize how loud DS is and he is loud.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Back when hubby was single, his parents thought giving him the family dog would be a good idea. The thing was a schnoodle - very cute, very much loved, but very barky. He was living in an apartment complex, just getting his career started and working really long hours. Well, his neighbors were dog lovers and were very nice in bringing to hubby's attention that the schnoodle that was used to a house (on a big lot) full of people was now barking and carrying on as long as hubby was away - over 10 hours straight.

In the end, schnoodle went back to his parents, where she lived out her life where she should have stayed in the first place, and the relationship with the neighbors never suffered because they gave hubby a chance first - which hubby appreciated. I would say give them the benefit of the doubt with the dog thing and talk to them. If you get absolutely nowhere, animal control is always there. I really feel for you and the dog - you both shouldn't have to suffer so.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    We had similar neigbours a few years ago. In our case, they were a few houses down the street, but because the school backed onto all our properties (and we actually have a gate to the school in our fence) they would annoy everyone (well, the kids would...). They used to get in the school and dump rubbish bins everywhere... sometimes they'd sneak in our yard and steal stuff... urgh.

The parents also let the kids run wild. The youngest at the time was 3 and she was allowed to play in the street. All these kids (and I think the parents, too) had some degree of intellectual disability. The oldest was 14 and mentally about 8 (so not really equipped to look after 3 younger siblings properly) and the other kids were just little menaces...

Once I caught them sneaking in the backyard to use the trampoline and I yelled at them to go away (knowing they were responsible for stealing stuff etc.) and I found out that their mother threatened to bash me. Yup. These were NOT people you could reason with.

Fortunately they moved away!! I think EVERYONE was sooo glad of this.

The thing is, you can TRY to talk to them rationally, but if they're the way described, I don't think it will work. I would definitely call animal control about that dog though!

Oh, and I second the idea about noise cancelling headphones, listening to music etc. That's what I do when I need some peace and quiet (although it's generally pretty quiet around here, except during recess!!!).

Sissypants is offline Junior Member
    Good luck with this. I hope you can get it resolved with taking drastic measures.

Here is my story: We had neighbors like this. Dogs barking all day and night and pooping all over our yard, loud music, garbage all over our yard, broken sewer pipe that sprayed their waste all over their yard but stunk up the whole neighborhood, etc. Once, while I was working third shift, their alarm clock started going off at 2pm and didn't stop until I pounded on their door at almost 3. They put their alarm clock next to a window nearest my house (windows open, of course) and went to sleep on the other side of the house. They said they didn't hear it. I absolutely hated them.

No amount of reason worked with them. I asked them to keep their dogs out of our yard or at least pick up the poop from our yard. They told me that their yard was too small for the dogs and they needed room to run. They seemed to go out of their way to annoy me after that.

As an added bonus, after we asked them to be quiet and respectful of our property (before we involved authorities), things just got worse. They went out of their way to be jerks. We had our porch light shot out, our shed and house hit with a paintball gun (only on their side of our house ), they rode their four wheeler through our yard. Without video evidence, there was nothing anyone could do.

Protect yourself. Document everything. We had to move to get away from the BS. If you want to make a complaint to animal control, videotape the dog barking. Put your camera in the room you work in and record the noise you have to listen to. In my county, without evidence, all the noisy neighbors had to do was show up in court and dispute a noise ticket and the matter was dropped. Call your local animal control to find out what you need to do.

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Call Animal Services. No dog should be left, unattended for 9 hours.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I would leave a note signed with something like "a caring neighbor" letting them know how unhappy the dog is and letting them know that you will be calling the authorities next time. Possibly let them also know other times that noise is causing you problems. If they attempt to make it better, try to work with them. They may be really nice people who figure that kids make noise and don't notice or are simply oblivious for some other reason. If you can't get any relief there, call animal control and let your landlord know about the disturbances and that you will be moving. My bet is that if you are bothered, then so are others.

FWIW, I have a malamute that howels quite loudly whenever she is left home alone, but I wouldn't know as I'm not home. We found out early one black Friday as we snuck out to hit a sale and left our newly adopted teen at home sleeping. She was awakened by the horrible noise and our plan was ruined. Luckily we don't live close enough to bother any neighbors, but there ya go - it could happen to anybody

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    In my last apartment complex we weren't allowed to have dogs. A neighbor moved in with a yappy Pomeranian. After night 3, I got fed up. I left them a note that simply read, "If you don't shut that god damn thing up, so help me I'll EAT IT!"

They moved a week later.

good job!!
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12