Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting sick more often on Primal? page

primalswan is offline Senior Member

Getting sick more often on Primal?

I don't know if it is a coincidence or what but since starting Primal in March of this year I get sick WAY more often. This morning I woke up with my 4th bad colds/viruses since starting. The last 3 were since June, so summer months when normally we NEVER get sick. I have 2 kids and every single time one of them has had the crud in the last 6 months I have had had it too. I used to get sick maybe once or twice a year. I am pretty much 95% primal compliant and avoid gluten 100% of the time. What the heck?

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    That does seem strange. The only thing I can think of, is that if your body is releasing stored toxins (are you dropping weight) it might be overwhelmed, and thus liable to whatever bug comes knocking. Maybe you just need to reach a new normal?

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I also seem to be getting sick more on primal. Before I went primal, I can't remember the last time I was sick, but I got some kind of flu or cold shortly after going primal (fever, sore throat, the works), and just a few days ago I got a cold sore which I usually get right before I get sick, so we'll see if I get sick again.

I've also lost a lot of weight (over 180lbs now), but the majority of weight I lost was before going primal when my body was theoretically releasing just as many stored toxins as it is now.

So yeah, I don't know. It could be a fluke. I focus now on making sure that I'm getting a big enough variety and quantity of vitamins & minerals from the food I eat. And I'm really hoping that getting sick isn't just something we have to expect.

Paleobird Guest
    I haven't had so much as a sniffle since going Primal. I think you have something else going on that is taking your defenses down. Are you sleeping well? Kids with the crud are not good for letting you get your Zs. That is a sure fire way to let your immune system get stressed and vulnerable. Also are you getting enough vitamin D? When it's really hot it's easy to stay inside too much just like when it's really cold.

Coconut is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting enough natural vitamin C from raw vegetables and fruit? We can't manufacture it so it must come from food.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    And is all your food from clean sources?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    nope if anything i am less often sick. i used to get sinus infections and so forth all the time and haven't had a single one in about 6 months, knock on wood!

i hope you figure it out and get better *hands you a kleenex*

Takuan.Daikon is offline Junior Member
    Put me down on the list of people getting sick less often, and with less severity. I hope things improve for you!

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    My food is clean, veggies and fruits organic and we buy pastured meat in bulk from local farms. I dropped Vit. D supplementation over the summer because we live in a hot climate and are at the lake or in the pool multiple times a week. I only wear a little zinc based sunscreen on my face and do not burn so I am pretty sure I am fine in that regard. Maybe I will pick that up again. I know I eat very little fruit, mostly just some berries occasionally. I used to eat a ton of fruit and juiced daily. I might go back to juicing some greens, etc and see if that helps. I have dropped about 30 lbs in this timeframe, but am not trying to actively lose anymore though I am still dropping an occasional pound here and there. I wonder if working out at the gym has something to do with it. Touching the gross gym floor, etc. during boot camp classes? I sleep pretty well, 10p-7am with the very occasional deviation from that for a special event. The good news it that this cold, which knocked me out for most of yesterday, seems to be on its way out already! I pummeled it with zinc and vit. c all day yesterday.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've only gotten sick once since going primal 1 year ago. Last winter, my family was down for 2-3 weeks, I got whatever they had, but was back up and running in a week, and I never felt as bad as they did. We'll see how this winter goes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast