Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting sick more often on Primal? page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    since ditching grains 3 years ago, i have not been sick once. no sniffles, no colds, no coughs, when previously they had plagued me all year, all my life.

if you are vitamin d deficient, it's hard to get your reserves back up, just from supps, or even just from the sun. get your levels checked.

is your diet full of variety? you don't need fruit -- i eat berries once or twice per week at most.

you may also want to start using a neti pot regularly. the irrigations keep bugs from getting too comfy in your nasal passages. if you do come down with something, it will clear out the cold much more quickly than cw meds.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    I do have a neti pot but I only remember to use it when I am stuffed up! I think I will get my Vit. D checked and start taking Vit. C daily. We get a produce box every week that is local, seasonal, organic and different every week so I do get a large variety of veggies. I definitely do not eat enough dark leafy greens in the summer though because we get SO many all winter that I am kind of sick of them by the warmer months.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    maybe you developed seasonal allergies?

Blanchy is offline Member
    Primal is not magic... people still get sick. Are you under a lot of stress, or not sleeping well? Those things will have just as much impact on your immune system, if not more, than eating primally.
    "Its not about how strong you are, its how well you can move with that strength."

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    my experience is thus

when you reach a certain level of un-health the body does one of two things... it shunts the shit into adipose tissue to hide it and says fuck it. or you die.

if the later, game over, if the former then as your health improves you get a wonderful bonus... the ability to experience what you ignored in your past (lives?)

for me it comes in the form of mysterious fevers and lovely lime green snot out of no where... or the oddest muscle cramps etc. Additionally i get to relive in one way or another every negative emotion that i shunted away in a random fashion.

yes regaining health can mean illness... which is why it is important to take prophylactic care for as long as needed. what does that mean....

not a day goes by without my vitamin C lemon-aid ( a shot of lemon juice, a dash of stevia, a teaspoon of ascorbic acid )
    i take high doses of vitamin D
    I take pregnonolone and DHEA
    I drink organic salmon oil
    I eat as much sulfur as i can stand ( it makes me hulk smash angry so there is always a public safety advertisement before hand).

result, shit passes quickly...

oh yeah and dont forget the Magnesium ( speaking of shit)

bottom line,
    If you didnt piss it out, shit it out, cry it out, sweat it out or respirate it out..... it is still in your body somewhere... they dont call it anal retentive for nothing

btw vitamin d, solgar, 10,000 iu.... eat two bottles in 5 days and call me in the morning
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    This is an interestic topic - lots of good and valid theories too.

I'm another one who has been getting sick since going primal in March, mind you, its been winter over here so that does explain the excess of viral illness doing the rounds. Actually my non-primal kiddies have had a really bad time of it too with near constant illness of some type or discription all winter - they are normally very healthy and don't get sick often.

I've upped my anti-inflammatory foods over the last week to try and help with chronic back pain and I'm hopeful that this will help as well with all of the snot and gunk coming out of me. I'm trying to include plenty of green tea, kelp, krill oil, and berries in my diet while also easing up on my dairy intake (inflammatory). I came down with a headcold on Wednesday last week and I'm nearly over it now, which is three weeks shorter than my last headcold and no antibiotics needed for the postviral sinus infection this time either.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalswan View Post
    I do have a neti pot but I only remember to use it when I am stuffed up! I think I will get my Vit. D checked and start taking Vit. C daily. We get a produce box every week that is local, seasonal, organic and different every week so I do get a large variety of veggies. I definitely do not eat enough dark leafy greens in the summer though because we get SO many all winter that I am kind of sick of them by the warmer months.
    i was imprecise and actually meant to ask if you get a good variety of animal proteins? muscle meat,offal, fish, shellfish, quality eggs? bone broth? pastured butter? that all has had a far greater impact on my health than organic leaves.

as for leafy stuff, you can use all sorts of greens and nuts for "pesto" in the summer.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Indiscreet is offline Junior Member
    You mention kids - how old are they and have either of them started school recently? I ask because, after not getting sick for ages, I started working as a PE teacher at a primary school two years ago and started coming down with every bug under the sun. Those little buggers are germ factories. The worst was the beginning of last year - I literally had four colds in three months. Since then, nothing. I guess my immune system has had chance to adjust and strengthen.

primalswan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    i was imprecise and actually meant to ask if you get a good variety of animal proteins? muscle meat,offal, fish, shellfish, quality eggs? bone broth? pastured butter? that all has had a far greater impact on my health than organic leaves.

as for leafy stuff, you can use all sorts of greens and nuts for "pesto" in the summer.
    We do eat a large variety of pastured meat products, eggs, we make butter from raw pastured milk, seafood and bone broths. I have yet to dive into the beef heart and liver we have in the deep freeze though. baby steps! My kids did just go back to school and I coach 2 cross country teams so who knows? Maybe it was have been even worse if we weren't eating primal. The over the summer junk was strange though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12