Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great, now my friends think I have anorexia... page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Great, now my friends think I have anorexia...

Primal Fuel
    [PissedTheHellOffRant]

This is the last straw. I am never telling anyone about the primal blueprint ever again. EVERY TIME I do, I am met with skeptescism, anger, and close-mindedness.

"But you need at least six servings of carbs a day to stay helathy!"

"All that fat is bad for you! You're going to give yourself a heart attack!"

"You must not eat enough vegetables! Eat more vegetables!"

"I don't know why anyone would WILLING enter ketosis unless they had epilepsy. That is the ONLY legitimate use for a ketogenic diet."

NOBODY wants to listen. NOBODY gets it. Nobody WANTS to get it. Ugh.

Take what happened last night for example. I was hangingin out with my friends and one of them commented, "Man, you look really great! You're leaning out, dropping pounds, building muscle... I'm really jealous! Tell me your secret."

"Well, I've been eating following a 'primal' diet' which is basically high fat and low-carb. Lots of veggies, animal foods, and healthy fats from saturated sources. It's been amazing. Another major part of my protocol has been fasting. It helps the body get into a state of burning off its own body fat and has a whole host of other effects that are great for the human body."

"Fasting? Sounds more like a borederline case of anorexia man. Stay away from that shit, it's not good for you, ever. You're giving yourself an eating disorder."

And then, another friend who has a masters in psychology stepped in, "The ONLY time a fast is called for is if you do not have access to food when you need it. Eating every four hours is not only good for the body, but good for your mind as well. Fasting leads to eating disorders if voluntarily undertaken and you should stop immediately. In fact, I have the number of a psychologist who specializes in eating disorders you should probably give a call."

Ugh. That's it. You want to know how I've lost so much weight? How I've gained muscle mass and look great, and manage to stay healthy? How I've increased my testosterone levels, my libido, my energy, and my motivation to live life?

TOUGH. From now on, the secret stays with me. If you aren't open-minded to listening to what I have to say, I'm not interested in sharing it. DON'T ask if you are immediately going to shoot down what may come as new or unusual to you.

[/PissedTheHellOffRant]

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Yep, I hear your frustration. This is working for you, you know it would also work for other people, but they just don't want to hear.

Well, you are not alone, we believe you and believe in you. Stand your ground, but yeah, not much point trying to talk about it.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Yep - you can lead a horse to water, and he may drink. But a jackass? Never.

My issue here is that they ALWAYS compliment me. They ALWAYS ask how I've achieved such great results, they ALWAYS want to know about my diet.

Then, the moment I tell them, they suddenly turn from all "You look great and are really healthy" to "That shit is unhealthy stop it right now," in like a two-second flip. Ugh!

Well, NO more. =|

Quote Originally Posted by Annlee View Post
    Yep - you can lead a horse to water, and he may drink. But a jackass? Never.
    I've yet to meet ANYONE I could call "open-minded" about the primal blueprint in actual person. Eat when your body says to?

"NO DEAR GOD, FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST STOP THAT, EAT EVERY FOUR HOURS!"

Yikes.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I got the anorexia comment once too. Totally unfounded as I look nothing like a person with that kind of ED.
    Anyway, to me it's not worth explaining PB, Paleo or other similar ways of eating or arguing about nutrition. Too many naysayer "knowitalls" out there and in the end it only gets me upset.
    I just tell people that I eat clean and let the results speak for me.

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member
    In My nutrition class this semester (first 3 weeks into semester) i mentioned in class during the first week about paleo/fasting...MY teacher was "oh wait until i get into those topics this semester and what I think of them"....Oh well in consideration of her being obese yet still a nutrition teacher i kinda giggled..No offense to fat people because i was one at a point and i still consider myself fat... but when she touches this topic and says how we american need 250-300 grams of good carbs daily i cant wait to get into a debate about these topics!!! I havent faced any negativity about my lifestyle from peers recently...Honestly have been hearing good things...Girls around me in class are tuned into my convos with the teacher and how healthy my life is, which i get alot of satisfaction from of course !! anyways if your peers get derogatory about your success on your diet just zone out and realize how much success you have had personally about your gains!
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, even my more educated friends think I'm strange and I haven't the patience to tell them about all the research. If people ask, I just say I eat non-processed food.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by CleoCat View Post
    I got the anorexia comment once too. Totally unfounded as I look nothing like a person with that kind of ED.
    Anyway, to me it's not worth explaining PB, Paleo or other similar ways of eating or arguing about nutrition. Too many naysayer "knowitalls" out there and in the end it only gets me upset.
    I just tell people that I eat clean and let the results speak for me.
    When I tell people I "eat clean" they say "oh, so you eat low fat, with a lot of whole grains, right?"

Dear lord no.

Paleobird Guest
    People are threatened by your success. It points out to them that it IS possible. Therefor they COULD get off their duffs, stop making excuses, and get it done too. But that would be hard. Much easier to label your success as a pathology.

But be patient and try to stay positive. It is surprising to me how many people in my circle of friends/family have come around. What has convinced several people I know is that I did not yo-yo right back up after losing the weight. It was not a "fad" or a phase that came and went.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast