Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official Strength Sports Thread page

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

Official Strength Sports Thread

Hey all!

I wanted to make a thread to specifically discuss strength sports and Primal living. This of course includes Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting (my sport!), Strongman and everything else related to lifting heavy stuff and throwing it around.

Post your routines, best lifts and discuss training methods!

I'll go first:

I train for Olympic weightlifting. I transitioned to training for it almost exclusively about a year and a half ago. I currently train 4-5 days per week. The 5th day (usually Saturday) is a fun day, usually just a snatch complex, deadlifts or pulls, and assorted GPP stuff. Right now I'm in the second week of the volume phase of a Dual Factor routine, squatting 4 days per week, snatches everyday, & cleans almost everyday, and a kettlebell exercise almost everyday.

and GO!

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I've been using the olymipic/powerlifting lifts for my strength training... 2-3 days a week. Love it but it's tough.

Day 1 - Squats, Bench, Deadlifts, Standing overhead press
    Day 2 - Power cleans and press, Weighted dips, Weighted pullups
    Day 3 - same as day 1

Get Primal is offline Junior Member
    I don't do any competitive lifting, but I use powerlifting movements in my workouts a lot. Squats, Deads, and Power Cleans. Haven't been doing power cleans for a couple weeks because every time I do them I get a horrible muscle spasm in one area of my back afterward.

Most recently did a descending ladder from 12 to 1 with 200 lb deadlifts and jump burpees for time. 13:00. Low back and legs felt that one for a couple days.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    I must admit I don't really lift, but recently saw a documentary series on Polish Olympic Weightlifting Methods & Techniques from the 1970's (can be found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgig...eature=related the entire thing is around 100min). I was personally very intrigued with their methods of warmup exercises, but afaik parts 4-10 are mostly about lifting techniques etc (skipped them hehe). Might be worth a look I found it mentioned by Ross Enamait on his blog.

Quote Originally Posted by Get Primal View Post
    I don't do any competitive lifting, but I use powerlifting movements in my workouts a lot. Squats, Deads, and Power Cleans. Haven't been doing power cleans for a couple weeks because every time I do them I get a horrible muscle spasm in one area of my back afterward.

Most recently did a descending ladder from 12 to 1 with 200 lb deadlifts and jump burpees for time. 13:00. Low back and legs felt that one for a couple days.
    If you are getting spasms in your back, your form is off. Your back is either bending or you are trying to pull all the weight with your back. Where in your back do you get them?

Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    I must admit I don't really lift, but recently saw a documentary series on Polish Olympic Weightlifting Methods & Techniques from the 1970's (can be found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZgig...eature=related the entire thing is around 100min). I was personally very intrigued with their methods of warmup exercises, but afaik parts 4-10 are mostly about lifting techniques etc (skipped them hehe). Might be worth a look I found it mentioned by Ross Enamait on his blog.
    Awesome find! Will definitely watch when I get home. I would like to see how their training was then versus now as the sport has changed a lot, especially after the Press was dropped from competition. There are a bunch of training vids from the Polish national team highlighting training in 2008 or 2009 (maybe?). Anyway all the big boys are in them Szymon Kolecki, Marcin Dolega and others.

The spasm is only the right side and it is the very bottom of the trapezius, down just below the shoulder blade. I figured it might have to do with form but odd that it is only one side. I thought I was really using my legs well to get the weight moving up but maybe not.

Lolly is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    My former trainer was on the Polish Olympic weightlifting team in Seoul Olympics '88. His technique was amazing, i lifted so heavy for my size and never ever once got injured. I learned so much from him. I'm anxious to watch this video--thanks for the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Get Primal View Post
    The spasm is only the right side and it is the very bottom of the trapezius, down just below the shoulder blade. I figured it might have to do with form but odd that it is only one side. I thought I was really using my legs well to get the weight moving up but maybe not.
    You might be pulling with your arms and back, sort of like an upright-row type pull. Would have to see it to make a good judgement. If the bar is collapsing on your shoulders or your elbows aren't high enough causing strain in order to support it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolly View Post
    My former trainer was on the Polish Olympic weightlifting team in Seoul Olympics '88. His technique was amazing, i lifted so heavy for my size and never ever once got injured. I learned so much from him. I'm anxious to watch this video--thanks for the link.
    That's awesome!! Where did you train at?

Fury, the high elbows is definitely a problem for me. Not sure if that's what causes my problems but I know they're not high enough. Thanks for the ideas, I'll work on it!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Happy Easter all!!

No training today. Enjoying Easter with family, and a Peaches-n-Cream cupcake from the cupcake shop (my only vice..it was heavenly)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast