Thread: What is carob exactly and is it safe to eat? page

What is carob exactly and is it safe to eat?

Primal Fuel
    i've seen it is used as a cocoa replacement and a local health shop has bags of carob chips i was thinking about trying but wasnt sure. Are there any downsides to adding carob to my diet?

phigment is offline Senior Member
    the only thing I've heard its a chocolate replacement and its safe for dogs. I've never tried them myself but my dog seems to like them.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Its from a tropical pod plants (simular to cocoa) but not as rich tasting & a bit higher calories & twice the carb compared to cocoa.
    Dosent contain the compoind that makes chocolate toxic to dogs.. Also a bit sweeter than cocoa.
    Otherwards its just as primal as cocoa. You can buy the carob pods dried & eat the flesh (seeds arnt edible) as is if you want.. nice snack
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Sigi is offline Senior Member
    You could have it. But why on earth would you?

"Carob is a brown powder made from the pulverized fruit of a Mediterranean evergreen. Some consider carob an adequate substitute for chocolate because it has some similar nutrients (calcium, phosphorus), and because it can, when combined with vegetable fat and sugar, be made to approximate the color and consistency of chocolate. Of course, the same arguments can as persuasively be made in favor of dirt."
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.

Oscar Wilde

Bron is offline Senior Member
    it's not that bad of course, you may wish to find out what the other ingredients in the chips are. here, it is often vegetable oil and sugar.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sigi View Post
    you could have it. But why on earth would you?

"carob is a brown powder made from the pulverized fruit of a mediterranean evergreen. Some consider carob an adequate substitute for chocolate because it has some similar nutrients (calcium, phosphorus), and because it can, when combined with vegetable fat and sugar, be made to approximate the color and consistency of chocolate. of course, the same arguments can as persuasively be made in favor of dirt."
    roflmao!!!

Shelli is offline Senior Member
    I pretty much told my kid "why bother" when he asked about it the other week. BUT...my carob experience comes from ages ago as a chocolate sub and it does NOT equate chocolate. Maybe in it's whole state as a snack unto itself, it might be worth a try.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you don't think of it as a replacement for chocolate it's pretty good. Carob powder is slightly sweet I've eaten it mixed with coconut butter for a sweet fix.